1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy fined

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeltradition83, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We knew this was coming. So did he, I'll wager.

It's against the rules. He knew it was against the rules. Maybe the fine was worth it to him. I can't blame him for wanting to assure his wife. But he knew it would get him fined.

Oh well, it's over. No real harm done.

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I bet that call will be more than a quarter. ;)

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, definitely not surprising. It's a well known league rule, and I'm sure Troy felt letting his wife know he was OK was more important at the moment, but dang...10K? :eek:

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Antonio Smith was fined $7,200 for unnecessary roughness.
    Troy fined 10k for using a cellphone.

Bizarrely, I actually approv of this order. Less cellphones, more roughness, if you please Mr Goodell.

7. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It makes me mad that AJ Hawk got fined $10,000 for giving the sidelines the finger and Troy gets the same amount for alerting his wife that he was okay after a head injury which the NFL says it is trying to eliminate.

I think Troy should appeal saying that he was concussed and not able to think straight and should therefore not get fined. What do you think?

8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup, had a hunch this was coming. A rule is a rule and Troy broke it, but maybe if the league office wasn't so corrupt they would've waived this one due to circumstance. Can I say that word now, circumstance? I wonder if he would've been fined for leaving the field before the game ended had he chosen to make the call from the locker room. Wouldn't surprise me.

9. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    To quote Mike Tyson "Dats jast ludacrist"

10. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hard to bend on this rule. If they did, the bench would look like a call center with the way some of these guys live on twitter and other social media.

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would make the camera guy pay it, he's the one who showed Troy using it.

12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am just wondering why they have cell phones on the sidelines anyway

13. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    To call their wives after they get hurt to let them know they are ok. :-D

14. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Completely ridiculous fine. $10K? Ar you kidding me? It wasn't even his phone!

The NFL needs to use some common sense when applying rules. If a guy is on his cellphone Tweeting or something, that's one thing. If a guy is on the phone talking to his concerned wife for a minute or two, let it go. This ruling with an iron fist stuff just makes the league look foolish.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Its a case of drawing a line somewhere, though. If they judged on a case-by-case scenario like that, then it wouldn't be long before they were accused of bias. (Still can't understand how other fans think that we're favoured by the refs, but they do...)

It's a bit like the TD celebration rules - they always seem draconian when we get a penalty for "more than one player celebrating" or whatever that rule is, but I'd rather that than people pulling out sharpies and the like.

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He should've used blue tooth, they wouldn't be able to see it. He could hide a Phone Booth in that hair.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

18. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    They could just call it an extenuating circumstance and leave it at that. Allowing Troy to call his wife isn't going to start a cell phone problem.

19. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The rule is NO CELL PHONES. There is no grey area. Any player caught on a cell could say he was calling his wife. Its like everyone on trail for a crime....I'M INNOCENT.

20. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Saying it's ok to use a cell phone for certain things just adds inconsistency to the enforcement of the rules. IMHO that is the last thing the NFL needs.

What else is an extenuating circumstance? Where does the list stop?

21. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    The rule is no cell phones, but there are extenuating circumstance for every rule or law. Ruling with an iron fist is just foolish. "Zero tolerance" never works is a ALWAYS a bad idea. You need to have leeway.

It is not inconsistent to say no cell phones except in the case of an injury.

An extenuating circumstance is obviously not going to be something unimportant. If a player has a family issue or a health issue, calling their family would certainly qualify.

This is in no way a slippery slope situation. There are clear-cut differences here between that Troy did and what might actually cause problems.

22. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry, I disagree that zero tolerance doesn't work. It can work in simple cases like this. No cell phones means no cell phones. It's cut and dry and there is nothing to interpret. If Troy was that concerned about letting his wife know he was ok, have someone else call her or go into the lockerroom and make the call.

23. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Zero tolerance never works, ever. You need to have leeway, otherwise you end up over-punishing, like this. The punishment must fit the crime, and calling your wife to tell her you're not seriously hurt is not a punishable offense in the slightest. Sorry.

24. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure why you say zero tolerance never works.

We aren't talking about a crime, we are talking about a clearly stated rule that everyone in the NFL knows. Apparently Troy was willing to accept the consequences of breaking the rule and I'm willing to bet that the fans are more upset than Troy is.

He'll make $10K in the first 2 seconds of his next Head and Shoulders commercial. ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree.