1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Fautanu Will Start At RT vs Denver and Broderick Jones on the bench???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 12, 2024.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    :rawk:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just as I suspected.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You’re not surprised I don’t have a crystal ball?

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    75 carries averaging over 5 yards per carry and winning the Super Bowl isn’t enough for you?

5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i am sure they are weighing all options with the current roster. but yes, REST JONES if we can. of course, this make logical sense. let him heal, if he can. if he cannot, then spend that WR ## on the OL - although not much out there but garbage at this point.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That is nearly 5 rushes per game... Russell Wilson already satisfied the parameters anyways, since he rushed 96 times in only 16 games in 2013 and won the SB. If its 100 times in 17 games, then 94 times is the parameter in a 16 game season. Wilson rushed that many times in a season 5 times throughout his career and did so in his SB winning season as well as his SB losing season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Go back and watch the tape. Jones down the stretch last season was not that hot at pass blocking. That continued this preseason.
    Start him at LT and get the QB killed... makes little sense. Moore has done well all preseason and gm1.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it really isn't fair to question that at all. Jones was already a starting-caliber player at the end of last season. He has tried playing through the injury. It is clearly hampering his play. If he sits behind Fautanu Sunday, that is likely the reason why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    yuck

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No. It's not the average yards that make You a running Qb. It's the amount of carries. A true running Qb is about 100 carries a year.
    Also who are you speaking about.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You have a habit of that. No matter what someone says You Change it. I said a 100 times a year, and you changed it to 90 something. You can't Change what I say....to fit what you believe......again in my opinion a real running Qb rushes 100, or more times a year. So with 17 games that would be even more....not less.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah. Thats not true....there have been Qbs since the 1930s that have rushed for over 100 attempts in a season(thats almost 100 years ago....so ....so much for a new thing .....HuH), and they didn't even play as many games as we do. So imagine how many times they were running the Qb. This is just more media propaganda to make people think this is a new thing. The reason they keep getting away from it ....is because of its effectiveness in the big games. Since I've been watching football the 70s....there has been guys that have done it......and there would even be more....but two things have stopped there being more......injuries to those others that have attempted it too much, and not winning big.....but every 20 years we get new football fans, and a new Qb that will change how the game is played.....I remember hearing it more than a few times.....and yet all these years later.....still the guys that play best behind the line of scrimmage are winning the SBs.

14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    No... 100 in today's game is 5.88 rushes a game. The season used to be shorter. If you put 5.88 x 16 = 94.11, which would be 100 rushes over 17 games spread out over 16 games. If you meant 100 rushes per 16 games, why didn't you say it? Or say 6.25 rushes per game? You said 100. The season is 17 games long. I didn't change anything, just applied math when it was necessary to bridge discrepancies across season lengths.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If there is a shade of doubt that has crept in by that point, then you pull the plug for Broderick's work ethic and drive will have gone to the wayside. As we both agree though, too early to give it up for him; doubly so given the fact it is so early in the season. Broderick's work ethic and effort haven't been put in question. His lack of technical improvement though leaves much to be desired.

Remember that it takes at least three seasons for Offensive Lineman to get fully acclimated into the NFL for the Collegiate Coaching they receive is slim to none... minus a few colleges. Given how new Broderick is to even playing either position (20 total at Left including college and 13 at Right Tackle including last years playoffs) and it is clear to see that his time to develop will be even more than someone like Zach Frazier. Hell, even someone like Tailese Fuaga, an Offensive Tackle who has spent his entire college career on the Right Side, has a better understanding of how the finite details of playing the position works despite being switched over to Left Tackle having zero experience playing the position via an in game setting. Again, Tailese has amassed 39 games played; 25 of those being starts at Right Tackle. All other games he was a reserve along the inside. None of them were at Left Tackle. Broderick only had 19 total starts coming out of college. That is it. Way too small.

In short?! Broderick will be fine. His elbow, as I have been on record and now having been proven correct, is the current issue. Until that gets resolved, Broderick cannot be afforded the opportunity of playing lest his growth will be sunk even further.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I just don't understand not allowing him to work through things on the field... It would be one thing if we still had someone like Beachum or Villanueva holding down the left side until he's ready, but we don't. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that Dan Moore is a better player than Jones even now while he's "struggling". I just think benching him is the wrong decision. We say all offseason we are moving him to left sooner than later, but then just.... don't. We play him at right all offseason and then refuse to move him left again when Fautanu is ready (which was probably the only thing holding it back).

I'm not a huge believer in "you get better from the bench" mentality. Jones' inexperience is his main knock.... get him that experience. Play him. Let him improve while he plays. Otherwise we risk sending him into year 3 as our presumed starter with 1 game at LT in 2 years.... that just isn't good.

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Athletic QB's aren't new, but ALLOWING THEM TO RUN is what is new. 25 years ago, NFL teams would have taken that athletic QB and tried to force them into being a pocket passer. Hell, even Kordell never ran 100 times in a season and he was a "stud" running QB for his day.... Vick's was the first player that was allowed to run, and even he never carried it more than 123 times. It's really been recently where NFL teams have finally taken these guys and actually allowed them to play to their strengths....

There's only been a handful of "true" running QB's in the modern era that have been allowed to run the ball. All these guys below are guys that have had multiple seasons with over 100 rush attempts. Many have been successful in the league as well.

Russell Wilson (2) - 2 SB appearances, 1 SB win
    Michael Vick (5) - NFC CG appearance, loss
    Cam Newton (8) -1 SB appearance, loss.
    Lamar Jackson (6) - AFC CG appearance, loss
    Josh Allen (5)- AFC CG appearance, loss
    Justin Fields (2) - no playoff success
    Jalen Hurts (3) - 1 SB appearance, loss
    Randall Cunningham (2) - NFC CG appearance, loss

Kyler Murray, Colin Kaepernick, Tim Tebow, Tyrod Taylor, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, RG3, and Daniel Jones have all run 100 times once in a season. And of that list Steve McNair made it to a SB and lost, Kaepernick did as well, Culpepper made it to a NFC CG and lost.

You'll see Jayden Daniels do it, Anthony Richardson, and others that have yet to be drafted.

There's been plenty of athletic QB's... Just not many that have been allowed to actually take off and run. Lots of these guys have been very successful NFL players too. Many didn't also, but not all of them were allowed to play to their strengths and have their team design runs for them.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My way of describing Moore is that he’s good enough to consistently see the field in the NFL, but as a starter he’s the caliber LT that a team will try to upgrade from, rather than upgrade to. He will have a job next year at well above the vet minimum, but it will likely be a shorter term contract (1-3 years) at a level of pay that is well below what quality starters get. Who knows; that contract may be with the Steelers if Jones continues to falter. I think Jones’ issues are injury-related more than anything, but I’m not in the room so I don’t know for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Why an arbitrary number of runs? To me it’s about 2 things: 1) does the offense need to design several QB runs per game to be productive, and/or, 2) does the QB take off running from a clean pocket on a regular basis because he can’t process what’s happening downfield with his receivers. Most running QBs fit both 1 and 2.

You and I are going to need to get used to it though because that seems to be the way the NFL is headed. There were always running QBs who popped up from time to time, but now it seems like a majority of QBs who come up from the college ranks are dual-threat QBs. That’s what colleges are prioritizing and developing. Sad when you think of the 4 QBs in conference championship games last year. Only of the 4 is a running QB, and he had the perfect support system to help him win - and still didn’t put points on the board when it mattered most.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I couldn’t disagree more. We can revisit this as the season progresses. Essentially the we have the primacy effect in action. Fans refuse to allow players to develop and will claim he sucks until the end of time. When that player leaves and finishes development those same fans will turn around and blame coaching

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    We can agree to disagree, but tell me this: do you think the Steelers spent 1st round picks on tackles for two straight drafts because they’re terrible at evaluating the talent on their own roster? The team wouldn’t do that to assuage the fan base. It’s clear that the team doesn’t see Moore as a solid LT.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Jones was pretty terrible in the last few games of 2023 and that trend has largely continued. Y’all keep using this injury thing, but he isn’t showing up on any injury reports.

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I think it’s blantantly obvious the team has a much higher opinion of jones than the fan base.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    He’s not even on the injury reports from tomlin. Why think Jones is injured?

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I get that PFF has its flaws, but it is a pretty useful tool to confirm thoughts about a player you may or may not have... Moore has been a primary starter for 3 years and his best season graded out as a back up caliber (2022), and his worst two seasons he didn't reach back up level (2021 and 2023) and fell in what they call "replaceable" level. These aren't single game grades, but the season as a whole. He's graded out worse than people who have gotten benched (and even a first round pick that got benched), but somehow he's a good player? Have we had bad Tackle play for so long that we consider his abilities to not only be acceptable, but something to strive for?

Nobody hasn't allowed time for Moore to develop, he just has yet to be better than he showed his rookie year. He was surprisingly good for a rookie 4th rounder nobody was expecting to perform well, but he's never taken that step to become an acceptable level LT to start. Keep in mind, the Steelers drafted OT in the last two drafts BECAUSE Dan Moore isn't good. They thought upgrading from him was worth investing our biggest offseason asset into for consecutive seasons...

It's not the coaches fault Moore isn't that good, he is just a limited player. He probably would have done better for his career to learn to play RT and find a way to be a swing tackle when he is no longer needed as a starter (that time will be soon, likely as soon as next season). He will get paid somewhere else to compete for a LT job, as I am certain no one is just going to hand it to him, but if he doesn't win that job it might be hard for him to stick on a roster.. Not being able to play right is a huge hindrance to that cause.