1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Fautanu Will Start At RT vs Denver and Broderick Jones on the bench???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 12, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Last I heard, Jones was at left due to Dan Moore being hurt

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So you're going to sit your first rounder from last year, who played admirably at right tackle for more than half the season, for a first rounder coming off an injury who has never played an NFL down.
    Yeah, I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Moore was full participation at practice today.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Speculation of course... but that certainly wouldn't be a good look. Moore is a bad Tackle.... if our first rounder in his second year can't beat him out, we probably be looking at LT again in the offseason.

It would be incredibly stupid to sit Jones behind Moore. I'm not convinced he's a better player than Jones, but even if he is it isn't worth further stunting the growth of someone that has a chance to be a good player for us for someone that isn't a good player and will be elsewhere in 2025. I'd be shocked if that was the decision we made. It would be a bad one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's pretty easy to make that "bold" statement, since the consensus around uninformed Steeler land is that Jones sucks bc he sucked in a quarter and a half in a singular preseason game. Jones was the best tackle on the team last year, and he is still the best tackle on the team currently. I'd be happy to see Fautanu get a shot to prove he is ready to go, but not at Jones' expense. Sit that bum Moore and just be done with it. If Jones doesn't cut it, bench him later....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Jones is injured and should have been sitting in preseason, and not playing the macho card and playing hurt in preseason. Now we are in the regular season and Jones is still injured.

I blame the Steelers Staff for this one.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Moore had his best game of his NFL career last week. Maybe the light bulb finally came on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Can someone explain why they keep drafting LTs in first round in back to back drafts, and then have them battle it out for RT?

If two LT 1st rounders can’t beat the existing “barely adequate” LT, why draft them in the first place?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s not like this team is contending this season with our offense. Might as well get these number 1 picks playing time and experience no??

I’m not disagreeing that Dan Moore Jr is playing better this year but come on it’s Dan Moore Jr!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah if fans see it surely to god the coaches see it. I thought exactly same. He should have been left out until healthy. At this rate he could end up being injured for a longer period if not rested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not at practice, I do not know if Jones injury is holding back his play,
    but something is. If he is hurt, ease him back into rotation as his injury heals.
    Too much draft capital was spent on him to not see improvement from year 1-2.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    One game. One.

So let Jones sit and get his elbow healed His progress has already been stunted.. But he is injured and still playing on the right side.

How about we see Dan Moore on the right side? Just a thought...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently, Dan Moore has convinced coaching staff that he is not playing right tackle.
    I don't like it either, but I am not at practice or film study.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Moore being a bad tackle simply isn’t true. He hasn’t been a shutdown lt, but he’s also been learning on the job. All things considered he’s done fairly well and looked pretty great last week. Do not be surprised when he gets paid next year.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think at this point, Moore is still the better pass blocker pass blocker, which weighs heavier in today's NFL.

I don't know why they are so set at Fautanu as the RT? He moves so quick with a long reach, I see him as a future LT.

In the future, I think the best case scenario this year would be Fautanu becomes our LT, Broderick our RT (He is better there IMHO) ... and Dan Moore becomes expendable and we can trade him somewhere.

The other side of it is Jones might still be hurt, and he really shouldn't be playing. He might need some kind of off season surgery or something ... the way he was cryptically talking.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 9:36 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Jones is banged up. I don't have an issue with him going to the bench. Maybe it will make him hungrier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Its the best thing that could happen to Jones. No excuse for not honing your craft and developing your technique by year two. I get that he is injured but he had these same problems at the end of last year as well. He is either lazy, incompetent or uninterested. Hopefully this will light a fire under him. I still believe he has the most upside of all of the lineman.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

no, this is not correct.

he is injured

Blame the staff. he should have been resting during pre-season, healing.

but we are SHORT on oline personnel.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree with all of this except for trading Moore. We need the depth, injuries are just too common in todays NFL.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats your opinion it is not correct. I get that he is injured but the issue with his hand placement and letting defenders into his chest goes back to last year when he was not injured. I think he got a little complacent and got lazy to be honest with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we disagree.

he is a LT , moved to right - thanks to dumb coaches.

he is young, very young.

and has been poorly mentored and coached.

and he is injured.

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I have harped on the OL Coaches and Tomlin alot about the offensive line but then on the flip side how is Frazier blossoming? We as fans tend to chastise the coaching when the player doesn’t play well and put it all on the player with no credit to the coaches when the player plays well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    all through college and here he has practiced on the right side. just moving him doesn't increase his lack of technique. i saw him standing around the play last week while the runner was still trying to fight for yardage. solve may be on to something about uninterested or lazy. he sure doesn't seem overly motivated for sure. he may just be getting by to this point on God given athletic ability. to be honest during the preseason cook looked reallly good. when he gets back it could really change things. i do think troy should be tried on the left side and may the best man win. :cool: