1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribute next season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Feb 29, 2012.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What are the odds with all these great Vets going at once that we see this group get trotted out before a game nest season to thank them for years of great play...? We miss these guys, they made me so proud to be a Steelers fan for so long. Truly the end of an epic era!!! :herewego: :yeehaw: :applaud:

Ward
    A. Smith
    Hampton (I think)
    Farrior
    Hoke
    McFadden
    Starks

and maybe even...
    Batch or Leftwich or both.

what do ya think, anyone else who could make this list?

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ward, Smith, Farrior, Hampton and Batch deserve a tribute, the rest don't deserve much in the way of anything. If every player received a tribute, they wouldn't be special anymore.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Couldnt have said it better. I would rank Ward/Smith above the rest with Batch next...then Farrior/Hampton.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Given his reaction so far, I think Ward might find it difficult to come back straight away for any "honouring"... maybe in a few seasons.

5. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    hmmm...I agree

6. bigdaddyK

bigdaddyK Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Both James and Hines think they will play for another team next season. Hampton will proply be on the team next season. Smith will be told to retire or he will try and come back. Batch will be around untill pre season is over to see what happens with leftwhich and the rookie they draft.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I love your avatar punkneater, [​IMG] but tell me... what's the significance of a chipmunk (or is that a squirrel?) playing a harmonica, with a peanut sitting there in front of him? It must have some deep and personal meaning to you but I can't figure out what it might be! :bowdown:

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I tribute for Hoke, McFadden,Starks Batch and Leftwich? This has to be some kind of joke. The others yes in a couple years.

9. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Don't forget that they gave Troy Smith a futures contract. He'll be in the mix at backup QB. I like his chances to make the roster.

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Not sure what this has to do with a tribute to former players/etc?

11. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    was responding to BigDaddy, none of these players will get a tribute anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years when Ben and everyone are gone.

12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Because these guys were al Key players during the 2nd best era of our team for a long time, that's why. And it's rare this large group of long time Steeler vets go all at once, that's why too. Sheesh. Everyone has a stick up their ass lately. Would you boo them or think the team did a BAD thing if you were at a game where this happened? I think it would spark the new group more than some guys who played decades before they did with little connection.

Hoke - We never had to worry about a back for NT while he was here, that position on this team was granite. The dude was solid roll playing stud for years, didn't break the bank and was a great locker room guy with ZERO drop off when he filled in for Hampton. There isn't one bad thing I can say about him! That's why.

McFadden - This guy will get mad props and a night of drinks from me if I ever see him for that pass he defended against Reggie Wayne in the 1995 AFCC game alone. That play was second only to "the tackle". We won the super bowl that year and earned and deserved it, but make no mistake, the Colts were the best team in the league that year for sure. That pass was a natural gimmie TD for Indy that year 9 times out of 10 otherwise. That's why.

Starks - Because he was a starter in 3 superbowls and while not great, I thought he was good and wished he was coming back this year. I never understood why we let him go last year and our awful line became much better the instant he came back. This guy gets plenty of respect. That's why.

Batch - This is so easy it's starting to get boring. For years, arguably the best back up QB in the league and I am sure he a healthy amount of credit to Ben's success as any other aid. The four games during Ben's suspension? That's why.

Leftwich - Because I said so. That's why.

13. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Would you go so far as to say....that it's driving you nuts? :roflmao:

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully you can add Hampton to this list.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Obviously you were all to young to see the Dynasty Steelers, there was no
    tribute for these players. And alot of them were HOF, probably the only one making the HOF out of this list is Hines MAYBE?

16. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011

Yes, veeery deep meaning to me. I'm a harmonicist. My stage name is Ned Rock-- I'm on twitter and facebook. My dream gig is to play the National Anthem at a Steelers game someday
    :herewego:

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    next season is too soon. In three years would be nice for the 10 year anniversary of SB XL. Bring the bus and JPEEZY Back too... YES!!!!

18. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    My reason why I love to see it it because how unprecedented this large of a group of key figures will have left for one reason or another.

We may think these group (that continues to grow, who will be next?) of players have diminished skills, but if you injected these guys to a few of the lower ranked teams they would get much better instantly.

I understand the whole few years thing, but an immediate ceremonious THANK YOU GENTLEMEN! would be very cool and heartwarming gesture to these men. :applaud: :wave: :yeehaw: :clapping: :herewego:

19. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Very cool. Hope to hear you play at a Steelers game sometime in the future!

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oldschool you have to be realistic, there is no way we are giving a tribute to so so players and back ups. Now some of the starters maybe in a few years. As much as I like some of the guys mentioned it's just not going to happen.

21. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

And without question, Ward and Smith....(Hampton, too, whenever he is done)...
    But I have to agree, next year might be a bit soon, especially if a couple of them play elsewhere... :(
    Right idea, though... these guys DEFINITELY deserve some props from Steeler Nation, for their long term contributions.
    Farrior, too, even if he didn`t start his career here.
    :hello: :towel: :cool: