1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Travis Etienne likely to miss entire season

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by IZONUFOTO, Aug 24, 2021.

1. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Most likely out for the season with a foot injury. Wow, in times past, that would've been our pick and our luck.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    In times past?

What does that mean??

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Could happen to any player on any given snap. Horrible luck for Etienne and the Jaguars

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Don't tempt the gods my friend!

It really is a shame for Travis though. I think he can be special. He really reminds me of Edgerrin James. Will he be James? Probably not. I think he's top 10 all-time. The probability that he finishes in the top 100 is terrible. But he has the skills I believe.

Same is true of Harris. He has some tools, but so did countless Kijana Carters or Curtis Enis's coming out of college(sorry my school). We shall see what the future holds. I was a Javonte Williams guy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In times past ... we would've drafted an oline man and hoped to get Etienne or Williams in the later rounds. We do it all the time.

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Right but it's the situation that got him injured not the player himself. You can't say the same injury would have happened had the Steelers drafted him.

8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They've got a very deep backfield, fortunately for them. If Harris gets hurt, the Steelers are back to last year's chuck and duck offense.

[​IMG]

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Jags have Robinson to step back in to his role from last year, Etienne was supposedly going to be used primarily in the passing game. The Jags actually have some very nice skill players, they won’t be short of players to carry and catch the ball. Etienne was actually a bit of a luxury pick for them in the draft

I see the Jags have also cut Derwin Gray, I remember people being p****d here when they claimed him off waivers from the Steelers last year. Looked a decent prospect at Guard

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Comparing the likes of Kijana Carter to Najee Harris is the equivalent of comparing Solomon Thomas to TJ Watt; very, very unfair to unimaginable degrees. Never mind the fact that Kijana wrecked his knee on the third carry way back in 1995, his career was beset by many injuries soon thereafter. Najee has had his injuries in College but not to the extent that Kijana did.

However, there is one major glaring omission from such a comp; size. Kijana measured in at 5'10, 220lbs at the Combine. Najee was 6'2, 235lbs at his Pro Day. One back can absorb more punishment than the other. Kijana's style of running was not going to last nearly as long shortly after his ACL Injury.

For that matter, as much as I too loved Javonte Williams heading into the 2021 NFL Draft, I am now more convinced that his career will be even shorter than Najee's due in part to Javonte's violent style of running. Despite the narrative that Pittsburgh has always valued power backs..... that simply is not true. Franco Harris was the game first ever "Thinking Man's Back"; something unseen and unheard of at the time due to the Stereotypes of the day. For all the power based running of his highlights, Jerome Bettis also fit this mold as well; some of the quickest feet ever seen on a Power Back.

Najee is merely a continuation of what Pittsburgh values in their backs while having to intertwine their philosophy to the modern NFL age. Najee is a multi role thinking man's back; through and through. That said, his instincts and playmaking abilities are what set him apart from any back in his class; two major applications that matter the most.

Regarding Eitenne, I do feel bad for him and wish him nothing but the best. That said though, Lisfranc Injuries on a Running Back are major red flags for both short term and long term as well. Hope he returns to 100% as I do believe he is a dynamic runner.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agreed with everything, but your comparison 2 the size of K. Carter, and N. Harris. 15 pounds at a four inch height difference , would make him the thinner back.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who?

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Disagree.

Weight is carried different. Najee looks like a GI Joe Action figure; near perfect anatomy and what one should want for such a punishing position. Kijana looks way too disproportionate; doubly so in the lower body. Oddly enough, many of his serious injuries were in that disproportionate lower body.

The more balanced weight distribution is in an athlete, the better their longevity is. Take Devin Bush Jr for example. His overall weight is much better this season compared to 2020 where too much of that weight was in the lower half. The more strain you place on a specific segment of the body, without proper stretching and flexibility training, something is to give. Sadly, that is what with Devin Bush against Cleveland via that odd angle he took to the Running Back. Too much force at that angle was caused by two factors; the tremendous amount of force that leg exerted to increase his speed along with the tremendous strain his unusually large thigh was doing to the knee. This is actually one of the bigger factors as to why tendons and ligaments tend to need far more recovery time as that person's anatomy heavily dictates the healing process.

In short?! How a player looks is important in terms of the basics. The classic paradigm of "looking the part" still applies to this day. There are exceptions but said players are not the norm.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We will have 2 agree 2 disagree. Jerome Bettis says HI . I do agree about flexibility. When I watch stretching an warm ups by teams . I'm like seriously :shrug:, but I'm sure the show them better. They probably just don't do what they are shown.

15. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Sorry, but I wouldn't buy that with someone else's dollar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Give em Benny Snell Football for their best Tackle...Maybe Urban will bite

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. If only.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What does this have to do with the Steelers :shrug:?

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This sucks for Etienne. Much like Najee, Etienne seems like a really good kid. I really think the guy has a hell of a career ahead of him. Hopefully he can rebound from this.

20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    [​IMG]

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There were a lot of people on here that wanted to draft him. Lots of debate over he or Harris.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i for one thought they were going to draft him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Hate that for the young man. He was on my college team rival's roster but one hell of a back. He will be a notable talent in the NFL.

24. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    This is why RB's are not taken in the first round for the most part anymore.
    Terrible to see, here's hoping he has a fast recovery and glad that we chose Najee Harris as some had Etienne as the top back in the draft.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    allow me.

who?

:smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1