1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Transition Tag???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He might, I don’t disagree, but he would have gotten that anyway. Plus probably more if he played and had a good year. No matter what, he will never recoup the $14.5 he lost sitting out.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The only way it pays off is if he suffers a career ending injury in his first year. If not then he lost out on 14.5 million.

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    If he gets hurt last yr and has a career ending injury what does he got besides that 14.5?

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    False. He could have had that injury LAST YR and never had the CHANCE to even be in this position hes in now. We saw what just happend to shazier. That could happen to ANYBODY.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That injury idea is BS. It would have to be career ending. On average, those are few and far between. And don’t start siting a handful of the examples. If you take any business classes pay attention when they talk about risk/reward and “expected value”. He made a bad business decision. Crap, if he’s so worried about getting hurt WTF is he doing on a jet ski?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I understand that. Point I’m making is in reference to him never getting that 14.5 million back now. If he goes on without a career ending injury he’ll never recoup that 14.5. Only way to justify his tactics now is if he gets his big guaranteed money and he gets injured this coming year then he can say “see why I did what I did” otherwise that money’s gone forever.
    You’re really not very good at this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Everybody outside of Steelers nation, eh? Didn’t realize so many people were bad at math. Let’s say he gets $30 million guaranteed. $30 + $14.5 = $44.5. $44.5 > $30. You can set aside the dopey “what if he got injured” argument. 1. The odds of a career ending injury in any season are pretty small. 2. There are insurance companies who will underwrite insurance for that type of situation at a tiny fraction of the $14.5 million that he left on the table.

To show how monumentally stupid Bell’s decision was from a financial perspective, let’s use a different type of example. Let’s say you want to buy a car for $50k, and you find out that to insure it against being stolen and chopped into parts would cost you $25k. Would paying $25k to protect your $50k car from that type of low-probability incident be worth it? Well, what Bell did was essentially the same thing. He sacrificed $14.5 million to protect his ability to get twice that (when he could have probably insured himself for a couple of hundred thousand). And “everybody” outside Steelers nation thought that was a good idea? [drops mic]

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They didn't franchise tag him again this offseason because the salary would be too high. They didn't bother with the transition tag because it really does them no good. If they could have tagged him again at the same number, I think they would have done it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There were analysts who thought Bell was wrong, so once again you are incorrect in your claim that only Steelers fans thought that way. You really are bad at this.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't because your counting that against your cap for a player who isn't playing.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Link me to those analysts saying that plewse. I didnt hear anyone say he was wrong outside of Steeler nation. Some people acknowledged both sides did what was well within this right. Some acknowledged the Steelers were wrong. Didnt hear anyone say bell was wrong outside of steeler nation.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Bad analogy. I can buy that particular car whenever I so choose. Their isnt a limit on the ability to be able to buy that car. There is a limit on how long bell is able to play in the nfl. And it doesnt matter how big or small the chance is. It's still the fact that ITS A CHANCE. look at earl thomas. He just lost out on a huge payday it happens all the time so therefore it's better for you to not play the odds. And would the insurance company him too times that 14.5 million? That 14.5 half million was guaranteed the moment he signed that tag. Him ever playing in the NFL again to try to get even more money was not. You put your self in the best position to make the most money as possible. Players do it all the time. Sorry he didnt want to risk his career for a franchise that will have nothing to do with him or his family financially once he retires.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No because if he gets more than that he made the right choice. His overall thinking point was to make sure he went into free agency full healthy with an OPPORTUNITY to sign a big deal which I think he ultimately will. I'm saying he will get a least 30 as that will be the bare minimum. I can easily see him getting 40 million. That would mean he gave himself a 100% chance to earn 25 more million that he POSSIBLY could have missed out on had he played and gotten hurt.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're assuming he would actually sit out another season, which is extremely unlikely. Sitting out one full season was questionable. Doing it for two seasons and still expecting to get a big contract would be idiotic, even by Bell's low standards of intelligence.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've done that before. So have others. You made ridiculous arguments trying to discredit them, but you saw them. Please just stop with the dishonest crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You’re so wrapped up in the emotion of wanting to think that Bell did the right thing, and “beat” the big bad team, that logic and reason are out the window. There’s no way to logically refute what I’ve said without pretending: a) that it was likely (I.e probable, not just possible) that he would suffer a career ending injury in 2018; and b) that insurance products don’t exist to protect him from the risk at a tiny fraction of the cost of sitting out 2018 (they do exist, and are used).

The only way Bell made the right decision was if his priority was to “win” emotionally. He most assuredly hurt himself economically.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Irrefutable. Anyone who tries to rebut this point has been hoodwinked.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is this thing called Google.
    Type in LeVein Bell Mistake

He most likely screwed up financially. Shortly we will see. Unless he gets 14.5 more guaranteed than Gurley, he lost.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    "I've made a lot of money, I'm happy where I'm at, I've got a good family -- I don't really need to play football,"

"I don't necessarily care about the money aspect of it. I just want to be valued where I'm at. If I am playing this game, I want to set standards for all the other running backs behind me"

Bell has said all along it wasn't about the money. Whether that's believable or not is another story.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tsburgh-steelers-sit-2018-retire-tagged-again

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, who’s the real Bell? The guy who rapped about wanting $15 million/year or the guy who was coached to say “it’s not about the money” before an interview?

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Same interview: Bell said he would "probably be done" with football if he did sit out 2018.
    Who knows? Including Bell himself.
    I watched a couple videos Bell posted on instagram(?) during the 2017 season of him going on and on about the slippers he was wearing. It reminded me of my kids behavior when they were little.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The part about believable or not held water right up until Gurley got his contract. Then, to me, it 100% became about money.And specifically guaranteed money. And I for one, believe that is because he knows he won’t fulfill the contract and therefore needs it up front. JMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this. I think whoever signs Bell is going to be unpleasantly surprised at what they get out of him once he gets done counting his money.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You never linked me to anyone saying that. Still hallucinating. Must smoke more weed than bell.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I never thought he'd sit out one and I'm sure the team didnt think he would. So anything is possible. This was a stare down contest to see who would blink first.