1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Transition Tag???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK. I believe the reason the tag is there is to keep teams from having their superstars cherry picked. That’s good for the leagues, good for the fans, and good for the players 95% of the time.

I could go through the whole scenario I am thinking about, but I type too damn slow.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I agree. They need to make it to where a player can't just sit out without some sort of penalty.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Losing a year's salary is a penalty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Get rid of the tags all together. I've heard current and former players admitting it was a mistake. They have 4 years and a 5th year option for both sides to make up their minds on the future of the player.
    Piss or get off the pot,for both sides.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yup, open the market. The salary cap controls things from getting too far out of hand anyway. Like Tomlin said, volunteers, not hostages.
    I've never read the fine print on the franchise tag, second tag, transition tag, ect.
    Judging by all the misinformation that was reported regarding Bell's tag situation and his agent not knowing the rules about a third tag option, I'm not sure anyone really fully understands it.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Only problem with the 5th year option is it's only for 1st rd draft picks and how long before someone decides to sit out the 5th year option? The tags give the team the option to retain a player that they've invested in.

7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So make 14.5 million for season and risk the possibility of that 14.5 million being all you could possibly earn for the rest of your career with a chance of you having a career ending injury. Or go in free agency and have a more than likely chance of getting at least double that 14.5 million in guranteed dollars going forward. Yeah that was stupid.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I understand what his thinking was, but I just disagree with Players being able to hold the team hostage like he did. There should be a rule that if you sit out after being tagged that you basically are frozen and you are bound to that team indefinitely until you show up. Also each year you sit out the tag amount goes down 25%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are only about two people in the world who think the injury thing is a legitimate reason. Bell and you. Bell isn’t very intelligent, .....

But I did check my watch to see how long it would take for you to bite on my post. You are so predictable.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No several former and current players thought that as well. The only people that thought bell was in the wrong is majority of the steeler fans like you. That hate when people turn their nose up at their franchise.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And it was ok for the team to hold him hostage?

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Franchise tag is not holding someone hostage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What if a player just wanted off a certain team and was willing to take a pay cut to make it happen. I don't think he can just go after his contract is up.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's a good point but I think they need to do something that favors both sides. I don't have the solution off the top of my head. A lot of you guys "seem" to be too pro team and ownership. Trust me I love my team just as much as the next guy but I'm looking for a way to be fair to both. Like I said I don't have the answers but I'm sure they can come up with something. This tag crap has to stop for the entire league.
    Just one more thing....with the rookie wage scale the investment isn't as big as it used to be and the players are investing themselves in other ways to make themselves more valuable which helps the team. Like I said both sides should piss or get off the pot. You got 4 years or 5 for 1st rounders like you said. That's enough time to figure out if what you have is worth a longer investment. I don't think it's fair either to be able to use a player up and stop him from further monetary reward. Pay the players what their market value is or someone else will...JMO

Like groutbrook said there's a salary cap to stop things from getting out of hand.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They followed the rules he agreed to. Then he started telling lies. Quit defending the idiot. It’s making you look bad, and you aren’t.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It is because that prohibits his ability to pursue offers form other suitors.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And he followed the rules he agreed to as well. Just because a team franchise tags you doesnt mean you have to sign it. Just like if a team offers you a contract you dont have to sign it. Both abused the rules and system to their advantage. Problem is leveon had to go to the extreme of holding out just to essentially force the teams hand to make him a free agent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers followed the rules. They were honest and direct. He repeatedly lied. He in no way forced anything from the Steelers. The only reason they did not tag him again is because they decided he is no longer worth what the tag contract would cost.

Your imfactuation with him is getting kind of creepy.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Both sides could have handled the situation better (based on what was reported in the media) no question.
    I don't remember Bell lying to the Steelers front office. His team mates maybe.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah no duh that's the idea. Honestly these players ought to be kissing the owners asses. Without these owners most of them would be working at Dairy Queen. Plus they get an opportunity at a free quality education that the rest of us have to pay for. Ungrateful greedy spoiled babies.
    14.5 Million unreal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No they didnt tag him because he held out and basically cost them 15 million for a player that didnt play. Next yr it would have been 25 million. It's no logical reason to hold that much against your cap for no reason. That's basically handicapping the team. That is why they didnt tag him. They saw he would go to extremes and he called their bluff. I dont believe if he played they dont tag him because at midseason he said he would have came back if they promised to not tag him next yr. They wouldnt so he held out for the whole season.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I luckily just was able to get a atheltic scholarship after having to initially pay my way to college( so you can kinda say I'm bias) but anyways that is so wrong. The athletes are the Main ones who earn the school money and revenue. Look at zion williamson from duke for example. You think Obama, lebron, spike lee, etc.. came to the duke game because it was duke or did they come to see HIM play? They are generating 100x the revenue and money than what those scholarships cost them.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A lot of these players are ungrateful greedy pricks.
    They get a free ride at college and a lot of them are to dumb to take advantage of the education.
    A number of these guys don’t have the grades to even be in some of these colleges. They take advantage of that then they get to the NFL and try and rape the owners.
    14.5 million. Think about that for a minute.
    Bell’s not just dumb he’s also a terrible person.
    JMO

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are dillysionsl if you think he “called their bluff”. All he did was loose money and most likely dropped his value for his next contract. He screwed up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    How much you want to bet he gets double that 15 million in guaranteed dollars this offseason? Everybody outside of steeler nation acknowledges he did the right thing lol.