1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Transcending White Noise: Why Le'Veon Bell Is The Least Of Pittsburgh's Worries

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jul 25, 2016.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello fellow members of TSF. AskQuestionsLater here with something that is seemingly often lost in the shuffle of the current Le'Veon Bell endeavor. In fact, this potential heart breaking scenario has nothing to do with the running back situation at all. What I am talking about is the defensive secondary. I want to discuss with you the current members, who is going to start opposite of William Gay, and why cohesion will take some time and may ultimately cost Pittsburgh some games. Before that though, as always... a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER:

Bear in mind I am in no way shape or form stating, insinuating, hypothesizing, or rationalizing the prospect of Pittsburgh not making the playoffs in any way. I am only giving my take as to how they could lose said playoff game or key games in the regular season considering the circumstances of the secondary. Please free free to critique, but do so in a constructive manner. Thank you. With that out of the way... let us not dwandle and begin shall we?

Equal Value Given Yet Taken:

Out goes experience in the form of Brandon Boykin, Anton Blake and Will Allen and in comes the youth of Artie Burns, Sean Davis and Senquez Golson (... sort of on him and more on him later). All three of the greenhorns have shown exceptional ball skills in college and have a knack for physicality.... the former being a Steelers pre-requisite in defensive backs. With such gifts, the initial reaction was that while Burns more than likely will be not ready than Sean or Senquez, the hope is all three can contribute some in all their rookie seasons. However, keep in mind that while this is not the entire list, these three are going to be counted on; sooner rather than later more than likely. For Senquez... this is not optional.. this is now a requirement. For Artie... any game time received is considered "Extra Credit". For Sean... may the best man win between you and Golden. All three have their own challenges.. but the key value that was taken was experience. While I do like the Donald Washington signing.. there is not a guarantee he makes the final 53. That being said.. William Gay is the only starter with experience in the corner position and Mike Mitchell being the other. However.. the cornerbacks are more alarming.. for the next topic..

William is Batman! Robin = ????

Every Batman needs their Robin. For every James Harrison... a Lamar Woodley is needed. Both cover up what their weaknesses are and preform a devasting assualt on opposing offenses or defenses. Heyward has Tuitt, Dupree has Jones, Mitchell has Golden. Cornerback is that all remains. Here in lies the crux of the issue. There is not a solidified starter for the left Cornerback spot. This means that the only effective way to determine who is worthy is the the purest form of darwinisms; competition. Whoever is last standing wins the position. Now naturally.. this should be a strength. Finding out who is the other guy in this scenario should encourage other to challenge the current sidekick. However, this is where we encounter some problems. The biggest one is Continuity. Granted.. the preseason has this issue in spades anyway.. but for a team to constantly shift players to play for the 1st team week after week and even shift said personnel in training camp completely nullifies any form of success. Simply knowing your teammates tendencies may not be enough. More of this thing called "teamwork" is needed. This is where the term "feeding off on eachother" comes from. If both players can identify the same issue or even see the issue in a similar manner, both can instantaneously come up with countermeasures to decrease or even swing momentum for their team. This leads me towards my final warning..

Getting Better Requires Getting Worse First:

In order to achieve even a fraction of synchronization between tandems, experience truly is the gateway. As I have stated, neither Senquez or Artie have this. In addition.. while Senquez does have a better understanding of the playbook.. he does not have any notable game time.. at all; Sean Davis the same. Granted, Robert Golden is the likely incumbent to start the 2016 season; hence why further discussion was not required. For the cornerback position though... tough times are ahead. "Butler made the system easy for Bud Dupree. There is no reason to state he cannot do it for cornerback" I hear you saying. However.. comparing what Bud Dupree does to Artie Burns is the equivalent of comparing a 2016 Corvette to a HMV. Both are designed for different purposes and cannot be something they are not. While Butler can and will do everything he can to assist the development of Williams synergy with his "Robin", that players intangibles will be the deciding factor (i.e. work ethic, determination, perserverence, etc.). This is why the secondary has a good possibility of giving up the big plays early on. While the pass rush can help, can the cornerbacks cover efficiently enough to make a play on the ball? Until the cornerback position is solidified, expect big plays to given up quite a bit (even in the playoffs if the cohesion has still not solidified.

To sum it up though, while losing Le'Veon Bell hurts.. his abilities can be replicated even if it means using a brigade of running backs. For that matter, the offense should not be the focus on what could happen in 2016. The secondary should be. While I do believe that Tomlin and Butler can fix out these issues, there will have to be some wound licking to achieve a stable form of continuity.

Well fellow members.. there is my current take on the Le'Veon Bell situation. The offense Pittsburgh wields is still championship caliber.. but the young group of cornerback will have to step it up for Pittsburgh to see the 7th one come home. However.. I would like to hear what you have to say. What are your thoughts about the young cornerbacks? How long do you think it will take them to gel? Can they make an impact in their rookie year? Please let me know what you think.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    hqdefault.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ross cockrell, doran grant have some knowledge of the corner position. i'd think these guys are far ahead of washington in the pecking order. artie should see a lot of the field in preseason as should golson. we may be younger but i do believe better in the secondary. cockrell and gay should be better than gay, blake. golden should have plenty of knowledge of this defense as well. :cool:

5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Gotta agree completely with the OP.

I fully expect serious growing pains and serious actual pain watching the secondary play for the first half of the season.

Maybe thats why everyone is up in arms over Le'Veon. Because we know we need to outscore quicker.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    day 1 and i repeat day 1 and cockrell is opposite gay with golson in the slot. cockrell had a good day i also read. i think the kid will do well. :cool: