1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training camp battles..... what's real and what's fake

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jul 22, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We've been hearing all off season about the supposed roster and depth chart battles .. most of it has been filler and click bait.... but every now and then the sports writers come up with something real.. and of course, Omar Khan brings in a new face that brings more questions.... I'm gonna set the record straight on what to really pay attention to...

Fake stories:

1. QB ----- we all know the truth here.... this is Russell Wilson's job to lose... Justin Fields chances are basically the same as Mason Rudolph's when we brought in Mitch and drafted Pickett

2. RT ----- there is no actual battle here either.
    The first depth chart will obviously say Dan Moore... this is a formality that we all should know is basically make Troy Fautanu "earn" the job.... Moore was not a good LT and pretty much has never played on the right side at any point in his football life.... Hate to spoil any drama here, but there is none

3. C ----- another fake story and even faker competition.... Zach Frazier is the only actual C on the roster... Nate Herbig is a G with the ability to step in at C in an emergency.... again, the initial depth chart will show Herbig as a starter simply because of his veteran status, but this is very much a faux competition

Real:

5th WR ----- the Khan man brought in a host of veteran track stars... George Pickens, Calvin Austin, Roman Wilson and Van Jefferson are the roster locks.... that just leaves 1 bone for a lot of dogs.... now that's a competition to see

2. Slot CB ---- this would've been Cam Sutton's spot until he lost his damn mind and got suspended nearly half the season... then again, if he hadn't acted a fool, he would still be in Detroit... still, we need a placeholder for the 1st 8 wks of the season..... definitely worth seeing who will step up

3. SS ---- a few big names here.... I fully believe this is the competition that, despite being under the radar, may be the most important battle on the defense

4. ILB ---- obviously, Patrick Queen's spot is set in stone.... the battle to be his running mate is totally under the radar, but very real..
    Elandon Roberts is the other starter, if fully recovered, but Payton Wilson is gonna make that initial decision extremely hard... I fully believe he will start the season as a backup simply because of his rookie status, but by the 2nd half of the season, may just overtake Roberts at the top of the depth chart... keep your eyes on this one

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am interested in #2 and #3 especially

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    #3. Center is involved in every offensive play. Got to have a good one. Hoping Zach and Russell hit it off.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The good news for the Steelers at training camp is that Ciara Wilson is currently on Tour, so it will not be the same circus it was in Denver when Russell brought his troop to town 2 years ago. No Private Tent area needed for the 30 people Russ brought with him in Denver.

I can see Russ actually getting into the whole small college training camp experience, if he shows up by himself.

https://www.officialciara.com/tour

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The second statement about Dan Moore may be true. However, should Troy Fautanu not earn the starting spot by Week 1, that has to be a major concern moving forward. Troy Fautanu isn't like Broderick Jones; inexperienced but athletic and talented. Fautanu has both talent and experience on his side playing Offensive Tackle. Now, regarding Right Tackle specifically?! You got me there. However, if Pat Meyer's statements about Fautanu's rapid development exiting OTAs turn out to be true, Fautanu must start sooner rather than later.

Having Dan Moore out there is already shown and been proven to be "bad enough". Having Moore on a spot where he simply cannot play the position?! Exponentially worse. Add the fact that Wilson has taken a beating throughout the previous two seasons and one has a recipe for disaster.

6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Well I disagree!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Care to expand on that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as i said in another thread, this will be a show me year. the money should be there next year if you do well this year. those who don't will be replaced. there is a solid core being started, now if it preforms will need to be seen. who steps up in this offense will benefit next year. many players with their future on the line. which may be a good thing. we know how these guys play in a contract year. above the line in most cases. keeps them hungry. they are dangling that next year's money over many heads. the Missouri offense. show me. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    The whole secondary shakeout will be interesting to watch. I think most of us are thinking Deshon Elliott enters TC in the lead for the SS spot. I'm interested in the 6'3" CB turned Safety, Ryan Watts, we drafted and see where he fits into all this though.
    JPjr, Jackson, Sutton, Trice, Rush, and the battle for that 6th spot at CB. I have read Bishop's name a few times so he seems to be getting attention with this group.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They will. will get ALL THE REPS in camp.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't forget Anthony averett. He played pretty well for the ravens.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That would require a whole lot more sleuthing then I can even imagine putting in. I was kidding. Good post

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    both qbs are mediocre unfortunately.

15. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I am not familiar with the player. Outside or inside CB?

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep your eye on Beanie Bishop!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

I thought it was Arthur Smith
    not
    Archer Smith

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Spot on brother!

If Dan Moore is anywhere near a starting position the one who decides that should be shown the door. He will be the back up left tackle because he can't play the right side.

20. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's one I am looking forward to watching/hearing about. There have been different reports out of the various OTA's, but once camp starts it gets real. Every year we hear of guys who pop at camp, but then when game action starts seem lost. When signed I was and am hoping am he develops into a Mike Hilton type. We will see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He did cover must of the crucial parts. You know who offered the opinion (I in the statement which is Rollers). You know his opinion, he disagrees. You also know who his position is directed against (BlackAndGoldPatrol).

The only thing left out is the minor details. So overall, I give it an 8 out of 10 for comment quality. :)

And before I draw your ire..... It was a great post (yours). Some very will thought out points.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I have watched him at WVU, not afraid to hit!

• Like Like x 1