1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trai Essex

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Dec 27, 2011.

1. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    not sure if anyone has posted anything on this or not, but Trai Essex did a heck of a job at center on Saturday. the oline takes a beating on the message boards, but they never quite and they always step up when they really need to.

it would be nice if they would step up their game every week, but for now i thought Essex should atleast get some credit.

2. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    He did a great job I thought.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Essex, likes Starks, has gone through that period where he looekd like he was out, and is then given a chance to play their way back into the team. I was really hoping a similar thing would happen to Kemo when he was benched...

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He did a good job filling in when he was called on Sunday. Not to be a downer, but I wonder how he would have done against a team with a more formidable pass rush. :hmmm:

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Kemo entered the game when Legs went down. Did not hear his name or number called (NO PENALTIES) which is very good. And I thought he played well!! Looks like the pine time may have helped him.

6. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's hoping :drinks:

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Lets hope they keep it up this week.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sacks are down this year,even with more pass attempts. :cool:

9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yep OL played good against the rams lets see how they do against the browns

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I didnt notice Essex miss a beat when Legs went out- of course it was the Rams on the other side. I noticed that Scott AND Kemo were in at the same time. That is a recipe for disaster against anyone else, but it worked out okay on Saturday. :cool:

11. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    the Rams arent a bad defense when it comes to getting to the qb. they are ahead of the Steelers when it comes to team sacks by 2.

12. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    True but I guess it depends on how you look at it. Our D is a lowly 18th in the league in sacks :(

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i have no problem with scott on the right side. he has played pretty well on that side. :cool:

14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Played well, or played well for Scott?

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I stated in the OL thread I made Essex is best suited to play Center......He has played above the line at that spot every time he gets the chance......We really need to think about a move for Pouncey in an effort to get our best guys on the field in positions they can handle...

As stated in the other thread I have complete confidence in Pouncey at LG and would Love to at least see the Team try it.....I think most would be pleasently surprised at the reults...

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm usually on board with your posts PWP, but I just can't get behind this one. Essex did a good job as BU Center against a crappy Rams DL, but I'm still skeptical about him being a starting every-down C. I would rather see him as the swing BU where he is and we know we'll get quality snaps when we need him on the field --- which seems to be quite often with how injury-prone our big bodies seem to be. But to replace our probowl stud C with Essex and move MP to LG just seems a little out there to me. Essex is a BU - and #3 on the C depth chart for a reason. I mean seriously, he couldn't break into the starting line up at C when crappy Hartwig was out there getting steam-rolled. We definitely have to get the G positions addressed this off-season, but I don't think we do that by moving Pouncey into the G-spot (hahaha).

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Essex has a little more size and right now may get more push than Pouncey due to his injury. Why not try it? Pouncey is an excellent pulling center, would love to see what he could do over there.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no, he's played well. he is not a bad right tackle. :cool:

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he played center one other game this year when pouncey was hurt and did pretty good then too. if we are going to play it where our center doesn't pull, he can hold his ground against bigger nt's and DT's. legs is not the same on the right side for some reason though. pouncey struggled a little as a RG too in his short stint there last preseason. LG may not be a bad spot for him though. it also helps max out on that side with someone alot more mobile. ramon has been playing pretty well at RG. i'd still like to see one brought in for that spot. legs can remain the backup c/g. :cool:

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Is kool my man ,but is mainly because of our blocking scheme and the Injury problems that are starting to become frequent with Pouncey....I think if he could get away from snapping and taking that quick hit before he gets ready it could protect him some....

As to the LG spot he would be uncovered against the 3-4 ie the Ravens ,I like having him as my go to puller and protection help better than anyone I have seen so far in College...

And yes it is a little out there ,but I think it is worth a few series just to see how it could go......As stated I think it goes good Essex has came a long way as a Center IMO since the Hartwig days ,,,maybe it's just time or the OL coach or working with Pouncey????I am not sure ,but he has played above the line from what I can see.....

Anyway I do see your point I just see it as what's the harm in trying ?It could be just what the Doctor ordered for all concerned....