1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

trading down?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Apr 26, 2014.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was all for it but I was talking to another fan and he made a good point. we have 9 picks now. do we really have nine roster spots? lets say we trade back and pick up another few picks. isn't that just kind of a waste. I mean should we not just take the best player we can when we pick. if its a few spots ahead of where he is projected who cares. i was just asking what everyone thought.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think if you trade back you probably look to take some of the additional picks to move up in other rounds. I would love to come out of the draft with say 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, and then our comp picks giving us about 8 total picks. I would even be willing to move say our 6th this year for a 5th next year or something like that.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I know we have talked about the possible move down with SF before, but just read that CB Kyle Fuller could be a target. Of course, I have also read that it could be WR Mike Evans they covet.

Regardless, say it is a CB they want.

SF is the desperate team who has too many picks for their own good. So as far as the trade value chart, we should come out ahead.

I say:

To 49ers: pick #15
    To Steelers: picks #30, #56 & #77

#30: CB Jason Verett, TCU
    #46: WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
    #56: OG David Yankee, Stanford
    #77: TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame
    #97: ILB Christian Jones, Florida St

Just an option, but with the 2 extra picks we pick up, we can bolster our offense, while committing to the defense with the rest of our normal picks. I will take Verrett instead of Dennard/Gilbert if it means we can pick up 2 extra key pieces.

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That would be quite the haul and would help solidify our future roster.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ordinarily, my view on trading down would be to have some potential deals in place, but wait to see who is there at 15 before pulling the trigger. However, I feel so strongly about the value in rounds 2 - 4 that I would be happy to do a deal even before the draft. I agree that San Francisco makes sense, and there are different combinations of picks that could work. I also agree with moving down, and then being willing to trade back up in rounds 2 - 4. I think a lot of top guys who fill our needs will go in the first 10 picks in r2, and I'd love to get one of them in addition to whoever we pick up in the 1st. As it currently stands, we lack the ammo to do that.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would think we still are looking at waiting until the time. It would be more like this in order to do this deal early....

1. Notify team that if player X, Y, or Z are there for us to draft at 15, we will be keeping the pick.

2. If one of those guys is not there, and player A is there, the guy the other team is targeting, the trade will commence.

3. If players X, Y, or Z are not there and player A is not there, the trade will need to be agreed to again by both teams.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    call colbert immediately or send him this mail

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i hope we are exploring something too

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I really hope we find a partner and pull the trigger on a trade down this season. I can think of at least 10-12 guys who I would be fine with in the first round, and who I think will go somewhere between 15 and 46. I don't see anyone dropping unexpectedly to #15 that would make me prefer to keep the pick than trade down.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

maybe only ewans .. but he will not drop

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If Evans did drop to #15, it could create a really nice opportunity to trade down and get compensation close to the draft value chart (which I think will be otherwise difficult to do in a draft this deep). I would let Evans go and trade down for the right deal.