1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

trading down

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turkeysniper, Jan 22, 2013.

1. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    the bengals have the 5th pick in the second (37th overall) and pick not far behind us in the first about where elam is expected to go. i don't know if the bengals would want to move up for anyone but flipping those 1st and 2nd round picks plus the bengals 5th round is relatively equivalent value. the lack of strength at the top of the draft coupled with fair depth makes trading down really palatable to me. does anybody see somebody special enough to stay at 17 for? or somebody special enough to trade up for in the 2nd?

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would down in the first and up in the second if we can find a way to land elam and minter with the first two picks

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you always need to have a trade down strategy ready to implement if you're pick is coming up and there's nobody left that you place that level of value on, but you should never implement it until your pick arrives. You never know what will happen on draft day. Not many people foresaw DeCastro making it to #24. I have barely started my player reviews, but I am guessing that there will be around 10-14 or so prospects that I think are super value for us at pick #17. If one or more of those guys are there, I want to use the pick. Otherwise I see more value drafting in the 20's and having either more picks later, or ammo to move back up in R2.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The best way to move down is when you:

a. Don't have anyone you value at the level of your pick.
    b. Have a team desperate to get in front of another team to draft someone.
    c. Hopefully have a bidding war between 2 teams for the picks.