1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading down?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Feb 12, 2016.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I cant get the link to work. I was wondering, this mock has us trading out of the first for a 2nd, 5th, and 6th? is that possible? seems like a lot. I think but don't know, we have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 2 7's?

rd 2 Jalen mills cb lsu

rd 2 su'a cravens lb usc

rd3 Keanu neal s florida

rd4 jihad ward de ill

rd5 cj prosise rb nd

rd6 luther maddy de va tech

rd7 jacoby brissett qb ncst

rd7 alex lewis ot neb

I think on the surface it looks good but the article doesn't explain how we get picks other than saying we trade out of the first with the rams I think it was.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    i read an article that had us trading out of the 1st and picking up a 2nd and 4th. I'd be in favor of that.

Don't much like the proposal you read. If we give up our 1st, I don't want anything later then the 4th, too much of a crap shoot after that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't much either. So that's what we could get? A 2nd and 4th. Is that plus a 5th or 6th to much?

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think picking up a 4th would be woeful undercompensation for trading out of the first. The draft trade value chart agrees. Best case if we trade for the #1 pick in the 2nd (32 overall) and the #1 pick in the 4th (96 overall), we slightly lose out: 720 points vs. 590+116 points. If we move down further, it gets worse. Let's say for example we trade with the Rams: #25 overall (720 points) vs. #43 overall (470 points). We still need 250 points. Even the Rams' 3rd - #76 overall is only 210 points. They have no 4th, and their 5th is currently worth around 20 points, and will get worse when 3rd and 4th round comp picks are awarded. I know the trade chart is just a reference, but you'd be surprised how often draft pick trades tally up pretty close to what the chart indicates. The notable exception being silly deals like the RG3 trade.

So, depending on who we traded with, I would expect at least a 2nd and 3rd for our 1st to drop out of round 1. If the trade is with a team in the top 5 of the 2nd, then maybe a 2016 4th and 2017 4th would be ok. Neither of the proposals discussed earlier in the thread sound like good deals for us.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I posted about this in another thread, I am big on trading back. I also think it will depend on what kind of player we are in FA. Which we all know are history shows we are not big players, but we don't have to go after the top guys to be players. So if we don't do much in FA then we have to rely on the draft and losing a 5th and 6th is bad and we need a trade back to help us there. I do not want to trade out of the 1st and feel we wouldn't have to for more picks.

Last year SD traded up 2 spots with SF from 17 to 15 and gave a 4th and 5th. 2 spots SF moved back and got 2 extra picks, by the way SD selected Gordon a RB which could also happen this year with Henry and Elloitt.
    Also more in our area Denver traded from 28 to 23 with Detriot giving up a 5th last year a 5th this year and a player C/G Rameriez. Denver selected a pass rusher Ray which maybe happens with a guy like Spence at our pick.

These are just the trades from last year so as you can see we don't have to trade out of the 1st to gain picks. I can see the Chiefs and Packers being trade partners if a olineman falls and that is only moving back to 27-28, KC has an extra 5th and GB has an extra 4th. Another option could be with Denver at 32, they have a ton 2 3rds and 2 4ths and they have a big need at OT. If Decker falls here to us this could be a golden opportunity.

We also ha a few option to trade out of the 1st with the Clowns.....both Cleveland and the Cowboys! Cleveland has 2 4ths 3 5ths 2 7th and the Cows have 2 4ths 4 6ths.

Just some names imo that could be there that are trade bail are Fuller, Apple, Spence, Oakman, Henry, Washington, Cook, Dodd, Cash, Lawson, Conklin and Decker. Now before some says player (insert one off my list) has no chance at being there at 25 that's fine this is just a list off the top of my head. Players move up and down in the next month or so, for every player who goes up a player needs to come down.....I hope the hell all the qb's shine at the combine and they move up.......

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    NY, I think what you're proposing is a very reasonable approach - depending on who is off the board at #25. There may be someone at #25 that I would take before trading back. A few years back when we were picking #24, DeCastro was unexpectedly there. I would have had an aneurysm if we had traded back from that pick. Similar thought on Dupree last year at #22.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    SE, I couldn't agree more as far as DeCastro goes he was the guy I wanted but didn't think we had a chance in hell to get. I was not on the Dupree bandwagon but I think he will turn out fine. Now as far as this year goes I am not sure who that player would be that falls to us and we couldn't pass up, Hargreaves??? Then there is the guys who might slide to us that would help us trade back, Elliott, Conklin and Decker. I am starting to get more into the draft and I think there are several positions that are deeper then I thought making the trade back and gaining the picks even more appealing.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It obviously depends on who is available, but if we move down a couple spots I'd be able to live with it. If we trade out of the first round completely we better get a massive overpayment in return. I hate the idea of trading entirely out of the first. I'd rather just stay put. We have 7 draft picks this year, we aren't in need of too many more. Not all of them will make the team anyways

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    For the record I do not want to move out of the 1st either, I am hoping 2-3 spots and extra picks....

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So can anyone list the year the Steelers traded out of the 1st? I'm waiting...

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Only 49 years. They have traded down and up in the 1st since but will not trade out. They will not trade out of the 1st...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is the year the Steelers should move.We need a lot on Defense as well as a TE for sure . The top 2 CB'S will cost a lot to move up and get so the more I look at it maybe this is the exact time to trade out of round #1.
    Trading out would give us 2 round #2 picks and 2 round #3 picks here are some guys we could get .TE'S-Austin Hooper or Nick Vannett . CB-ELI Apple,Kendall Fuller,Jalen Mills,William Jackson,Artle Burns,Will Redmond, Xavien Howard,Harlen Miller,Zach Sanchez..SS-Vonn Bell,Jeremy Cash,Miles Killebrew,Karl Joseph..FS-Darlan Thompson,Sean Davis,Deandre Houston-Carson..

Even if we wanted to look at a OG to replace Foster there is 7 projected to go in rounds 2 and 3 .This would give the Steelers 4 picks with a lot more targets at positions we really need to target..

Just looking at the needs of the Team combined with all the players available at the positions in which we need KC should be shopping our 1st. rounder right now . Now is not the time to stay and go BPA , now is the time to try and get as much talent as we can get ...

• Like Like x 2
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    didn't see this thread I am a bit late to the party.

15. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Just don't see us leaving the 1st round. We need two impact players this draft, and one has to be an outside DB. We sign Weddle, and that alleviates the need for a S. TE is a need, but it's hard to take one in the 1st round, unless it's Gronks clone

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If you look at my list of players if the Steelers trade out .It looks really good .If we stay put we will be getting third or fourth best talent at the position or reaching.Is why time to be bold or be smart.
    Either get up there and get the real talent or move back and get more shots at guys with equal talent to the end of the first guys anyway.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We have 4 draft picks, IMO. Probably not one of the 7th rd picks will make the team.

Last year was probably the first time I was excited about a 7th rd pick and even he got cut. 7th rd picks usually equal garbage.

The Keisels and Beachums of the world dont come around often. They are the only two 7th rounders to make something of themselves in the last 20 years for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Since the Rams are moving would they consider trading back into the first? Make their intro to LA a special one. They have two 2nd rounders at pick 43 (470pts) and pick 45 (450pts). The rest are a 3rd pick 77 (205pts), 4th pick 109 (76pts), 6th pick 173 (22 pts).

Pittsburgh's pick at 1:25 is 720 points. That would be St Louis' 2(43) + 3(77) + 4(109). Point total Pitts = 720 vs Rams 751. Rams lose in pts but you can expect that for a first round jump. Pitts wouldn't draft until the 11th pick of the second round which would drive me nuts but they would have 2 2nd rounders, 2 3rd rounders, 2 4th rounders.

Don't know if St Louis would trade away the whole middle of their draft but its fun to speculate. I'm sure some future picks would be in play too so not every pick is a 2016 one. Would add some picks to this year but you don't have a pick until #43. Don't expect it too happen, just playing around with the numbers.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If we trade back, I'd be in favor of some of the proposals I have seen with us getting a top 5 pick in the 2nd and another pick in the 3rd, giving us two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders. I think that would be pretty sweet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers should offer the #25 pick to the 49ers who have 12 draft picks. In return get the 49ers 2nd, 4th and 5th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think that's a terrible return for dropping out of the first round. A 4th and a 5th to drop that far? Those picks don't have much value IMO, especially considering it's a first round pick were trading out of. I would be way more on board with Turtle's proposal to LA, but would still be pretty hesitant to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    depends who fall who we are targeting and what we do in free agency

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I said get the 49ers 2nd rd along with their 4th and 5th, that's a high second rd pick.

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I know, I meant the cost of switching spots. We would be dropping like 10 spots over an extra 4th and 5th round pick... I wouldn't drop half as many spots for a 4th and 5th round pick.

We are missing a 5th and 6th round pick this year. While you can still get value in those rounds, I think we will be fine without those picks and have no need to mortgage our best asset to try to get them back. We will have a couple of extra 7th round picks to help make up for it. I don't see why this is an issue. You can't have 7 or more picks every year. You'll just end up cutting a lot of the guys you draft that way. Some years we will have more and some we will have less.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

yes i would prefer their second and third at least