1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading down? any possibility's?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Bristerfan, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Bristerfan

Bristerfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Is there any possibility's to us trading out of the 1st round?
    I don't really follow all the pre-draft stuff..But in my causal reading it seems what we may need OLB,WR,RB,S,CB that alot of the talent in the 2nd or 3rd round may not be that much different then the talent of the 1st rd guys..
    Maybe a trade down if a team is looking to jump up would put us in better position to fill a few need or stock pile a pick or too.....This to me is the type of draft (not alot of blow your mind talent like last year) that the F/O can set us up for are next run....Just a thought

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I was just about to make a post on this. This draft class is weak at the top. The difference between the second half of the first round into rounds 2-3 isn't a huge dropoff honestly.

That being said we're in a good spot to nab a guy that's taking a tumble, but if it doesn't happen, I'd love to trade down. We need a lot of pieces. I'm going to update my mock at some point with us moving down...

My favorite scenario would be to move down towards the end of the first (or early second) and grab a guy a skill guy like Deandre Hopkins, Tavon Austin, Giovonni Bernard, etc.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i read that if two of the three safties fall to our spot trading down would be an option. it also said that if one of the two cb or if teo is still there some teams would like our spot to get in front of dallas. I would want out of the first round though unless one of the top teams in the second want to come up and offer a whole hell of alot. we need good players. we cant afford to miss out on any

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm torn on this. we have the best position we have had in years and now we want to move back down to where we have been picking? we get two picks in the top 50 players. we get a top twenty pick and i'd hate to see us give that up. when will we be this high again?

it happens to hit though in a year that we are in cap he-- and transition. maybe this forces our front office and staff to play these guys earlier then we have been. we have to quit waiting until they are 3-4 years in to find out if they can play.

if they move they are drafting for position instead of the BPA at a position of need. usually not what we do. will moving down really gain us much as far as quality?

one thing is for sure, these guys are going to move more as the pro days and combine wrap up. i put little faith in alot of these so called draft guru's at this point, because many don't really know whats going on here with this team and what we need. there will be good players even after this draft that are not far off the day two guys. at least at certain positions.

we are like kids at the candy store right now with so many positions needing upgraded. there will be plenty of good players there when we pick in each round. which position we need the most is the question now, and how much dropoff will moving cause?:cool:

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think MAC does a pretty good job of describing where I am at currently. It is hard to move back when you are right about the middle of the draft.

That being said, I think that as he states, the guys attend the combine and move around some in draft position, we may get a clearer understanding of what we should do.

I personally do NOT want to move completely out of the first round, BUT if a team sitting at say 28 came to us offering a 2nd and/or a 3rd to move up to our spot, I think we would need to at least consider it especially if the draft board is really falling our way on draft day. We all know that runs on certain positions happen every year. I don't know what position that will be this year, but my gut says defensive line and outside linebackers. With so many teams moving to the 3-4, that stand up rushing LB is becoming a need for many teams. If some guys start to go all in a row in front of us, I could see a team like Seattle or Green Bay jump up to our spot looking to do something daring to fill a specific need. Something they think might put them over the edge toward a Super Bowl.

This would benefit us because it would allow us to draft more players to address positions of need. Getting 4 or 5 guys in the first 3 rounds is hugely important if the right situation arises.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This #2

8. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    So you wouldn't take Teo??? I would take him in a heartbeat. He can replace Foote tomorrow!

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would take ogletree and minter over teo , teo is the new maualuga

10. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't think trading down automatically means you're not taking the BPA, you just don't think the value is there. And with our spot, and our needs... I don't think it will be. The only 2 guys I'd like at 17 that I think COULD be there would be Jarvis Jones or Chance Warmack... I'd rather trade down and have our pick of Elam, Ogletree, Minter, Hankins, Jonathan Cooper, John Jenkins, Deandre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson... All those guys would be a solid pick in the first, and we could grab an extra 3rd rounder in the process.

I'd rather have Ogletree and a 3rd rounder than just Dion Jordan or just Barkevious Mingo (just one example).

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    that's my count too , between our need there is a lot of players we could take in the first but later

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i think minter is OK, but i'm not wild about his game as it would transfer to our team. at least not in round 1 and i think there are some guys just as good or better in 2-5. i think he lacks read and react ability for the nfl and it's gonna take him some time. his pass coverage skills are not over the top either. he had alot of playmakers around him and good players in front of him.

i really think the best ILB'ers will come from the OLB group. gooden, porter, hollomen for example. i like kiko alonso even better in the 3rd. even as late as klien in the 5th. hollomen in the 6th. the inside spot is deeper then most think, because of some of these outside listed guys and some later inside guys.

i'm not totally opposed to trading down but for who is the thing? what will moving down gain us in extra picks, and then will our guys be there? if not, now we are picking lower level players at spots we need to hit on. there's a slight gamble to it. role players we have. play makers we need.:cool:

13. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    My point is I don't think we're losing out on talent by moving down. I think this class is weak at the top, and that the talent at 17 isn't really any better than the talent at 25-35. I'm also suggesting that players at positions of need are better in that area... I'm seeing different ranges for different positions, here are some examples...

OLB is probably just above us in the 5-15 range. (Werner, Ansah, Jones, Mingo, Jordan)

ILB is in the 20-30 range. (Ogletree, Minter, Te'o)

WR is 25-35. (K.Allen, Deandre Hopkins, Tavon Austin, C. Patterson)

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if those are the guys they want. i look more at the positions. are we getting a #1 at his position or a # 7 at his position. what do we need the most and how much money do we have tied up there now.

we are sitting in a spot also that usually means having a guy for 5 years or having a guy for 4 years. at 17 it's more then likely 5 years before we have to make a decision. usually pick 20 and below have been 4 year contracts.:cool: