1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Dobbs cost us our season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well... looking at the title of this thread, that’s exactly what you said

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So a 5th rounder was worth not seeing what Dobbs had?

In hindsight it did because Rudolph/Duck couldn't get it done. Nobody knows what Dobbs would have done.

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The 'boys and the Eagles. The 'boys are listed as top 10 in both O and D, yet will very likely lost the division to the Eagles who have a lot of key injuries. A really weak division, but Wentz has quietly had a really decent season, especially in December. If the Steelers would have Ben all year, with this D, I think we would be sitting near 11 wins.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Rats weren't using him the same way. All they had him doing was hand the ball off and run ,,this year they added throwing. We saw enough of Dobbs , he was getting worse not better.

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Everybody knows what he wasn't gonna do that's why we ain't tripping hahahahahaa

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Hey look everyone it's Miss Cleo! Can you give me the lottery numbers too?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Ben ain’t coming back, so we better find someone in the draft because we don’t have the future QB on the roster.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Another 3rd or 4th rounder? No thanks. Late 2nd? :roflmao:

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Hey, at least you might win a trivia one day off the question.. Which NFL team started a Reindeer and Duck at QB. Maybe if Dobbs went by Dobbermann he could get a chance. What a ****ing joke.

The animals combined forces and couldn't beat the Jets. We are stuck on the Island of Misfits.

10. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Now to be fair brother my ways of mysticism can be measured about as accurately as your free hooey... Nonetheless TODS backwards, Merry Christmas and go Steelers!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Dude, just stop. You got roasted like a coffee bean and this is about the baddest of bad takes I've read on the MB in a long time. You need to just go ahead and punch yourself in the nuts on behalf of everyone who wasted their time reading this BS.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
  12. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    In this scenario even Yukon Cornelius appreciated the fact that Hermey the elf wasn't going to be an ELF and helped him on his journey to be a dentist.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Somebody is back on the rumble strips again.

Just saying.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No what has pushed them to the edge of missing out of the playoffs is that as a FO and coaching staff they completely failed time and time again in addressing the team they have. They tried plug and play with Conner replacing Bell instead of adjusting to the player he is. Same with Brown and Juju just moved Juju over and didn't change the game plan and that was before the injuries. Next it's not coaching up the QB's, not addressing TE depth, never replacing Nix who as fate would have it was a pretty important piece of the run game.

Top it off that they could find a better replacement for both Munch and Coach Drake. Sarret is out of his depth, reminds me of when Faneca and the guys tuned out their oline coach. I think they just aren't hearing him at all.

Those things have killed this team not whether or not Dobbs is on this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would not argue with this either as all these things could have and should have been done as well ..We needed better DB play for years and once we finally got it our DL play came alive ..We both agree the lack of situational game planning didn't do this Team any favors ..

If I was OC I would have kept Mason and Dobbs to bu Ben and had GL and short yardage packages for Dobbs in place just to be more flexible , had we been Coaching and teaching that before Ben went down we would have had another type of Offense already in place to switch to ... Dobbs is not a poor passer IMO but a poor decision maker that could have been coached around..Roll outs with multiple reads running into his vision if there throw it if not tuck it and take what you can get ...I have no doubt that Dobbs could have broke some nice runs and forced Defenses to press on the edge instead of blitz and to spy from the middle instead of blitz or drop in coverage .. As such I contend the Offense would have had a easier time moving the Football because of more holes in the zone and less coverage deep..

This would have also helped in passing the ball to the RB as most of the time the LB is responsible for the flats..Now if you get Dobbs and a RB in the same flat with a WR deep and another WR flooding from the other side you probably have the numbers..At the very least it is man on man I like those odds a lot better than asking a young QB to stand in the pocket and make the correct read while under pressure and then deliver a ball between 2 or 3 Defenders ..

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Jordan Love is a guy that keeps coming up as I start me reads on prospects. Is he or any draft pick better than Mason or Duck who knows but what we do know is it can’t be worse right?

17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They have their QBs until Ben retires imo. Mason under contract & will find someone to fill in for Ben during practice. Lots of needs & not enough picks next year.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They need another Safety ..At that point they can go run first and game manager at QB just in case Ben doesn't come back or isn't right .. We can't draft DB'S so go FA or trade then get a good RB early followed by a pass catching TE ..I might also look for a big WR to convert to a pass catching TE...

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with lots of needs and not enough picks however when QB is the one position that can make or break a team you have to address it. I was a big time Mason fan/supporter in the off season and this year. Is he good enough to fill in I am not sure. What I am sure of is that he isn’t good enough with our current OC here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    check out this guy:

Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri

looks like a real nice pick for us in the 2nd round but it is so early.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You are totally lost my friend.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He has speed size and good hands ..Not a crisp route runner didn't see a lot of different routes, but he seems like a solid 3rd. rounder to me after his injury ...For sure worth putting on the big board ..The TE class as a whole looks pretty strong this year we may need to double dip at the position... Esp. if we intend to go with a PA QB in the future and a PA oriented OC ..The TE position is huge in that regard...

23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think Dobbs was the answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I don't know how you can come to that conclusion that quick imo it takes time and film to tell how his route running is. Also with the lack of picks will be hard to double dip here and yes the class does look deep so far. However what I love about this guy in the little I have watched is his red zone targets. Pinknery is another I have watched a little on and he shows some very good blocking skills with a nice set of hands.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After years of watching guys in and out of breaks it only takes a few routes to see how their speed changes in and out of those breaks.. Are the routes crisp or rounded ? He is a bit rounded and he takes a bit to get back up to speed ...I think he can become elite if he can get that down .. That's a great place to start IMO lots of Raw talent not dissing him at all ..I like what I saw ...Will evaluate more ..