1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading a Future Pick

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It seems that most or all of the experts are united on this year's draft being among the deepest ever. Last night I heard Gil Brandt say that it might be the best he's ever seen (and he knows a thing or 2 about drafts). I was not pleased when we traded a future 3rd last year essentially to take Landry Jones. However, this year might be the year to go ahead and trade a 2015 pick for the opportunity to grab a player that we really like.

I just did that while playing the Fanspeak draft simulator game. I saw Stephon Tuitt falling into the mid 3rd round. I did not have the ammo to move up from #118, so I offered the 49ers a 2015 2nd rounder for #77 and #129, and the trade was accepted.

If there's a year to make a move like that, I think this is it for 2 reasons: 1) the aforementioned talent and depth in this year's draft (which would admittedly make it harder to find a team willing to make a deal for a 2015 pick), and 2) I personally see our best window of opportunity as the 2015-2017 time frame if we get a few impact players. If we can bring some good young blood into the system, and get them a year under our coaches, we could have a handful of young guys really primed to step up in 2015 and 2016 (and some even as rookies in 2014).

Just to be clear - I'm not giving up on 2014. I think we can compete for the division title, and anything can happen come playoff time (especially with a guy like #7). However, I think that with all of our question marks, an unlikely number of things have to come together quickly for us to go beyond challenging for the AFC North in 2014. There are just so many question marks. With a good draft however, there will be a bit more time for the pieces to fall into place. With our limited ammo (thanks in part to the Landry Jones deal), sacrificing a future pick to get talent now may be a good approach this offseason.

Thoughts?

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think it is necessarily all about next year's picks either. If you can move down 4-5 spots and add a couple of more picks, say a 2nd and a 4th THIS year, you do it. Unless someone falls to you that you don't expect, that would be my preference. Get the card ready with the guy you want and then try to trade.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as I've said before this draft is loaded with good players but just not difference maker players. that one can't miss star quality guy. that's why it's a little more difficult to pinpoint on one or two guys.

tuitt has yet to impress me. I'd take my chances on a guy like arnfelt or Williams first. I think if they were in this years draft they would be right near the top. D-line is definitely not the strong suite of this years draft but there are some good players past nix and tuitt.

now at corner there are some later gems but the cream is definitely at the top.

I didn't mind the jones pick last year and would put him on par with several guys in this years draft. I'd have to say no to doing it again this year and use our 9 picks to fill holes we have and add depth that's been depleted over the last few years. this is a really good draft to do this with.

our trouble is we have a lot of young guys playing now that we are still uncertain about going forward. are they good enough starters and are the guys behind them going to be good enough. that makes it hard to pinpoint where to use these draft picks.:cool:

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm all for trading down this year, but dropping 4-5 spots would likely only net us a 3rd, not a 2nd and 4th. Even a 3rd may be hard to come by unless there is a player available that some just has to have. I've done trade down scenarios on the simulator a whole bunch of times, and I usually like the way that they work out. In this instance, I decided to take Mike Evans at #15 instead of trading down.

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Hopefully this is just a problem for us fans who are not around the players every day, and not for our front office (who should have a good idea of the capabilities of the young guys already on our roster).

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea I understand they should know, but without seeing what they do in year two or if they take the next step in year two, it has to be tough on them as well. heck they still have trouble weeding out the vets let alone the newbies.:cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure they do, they see these guys day in and day out, they better know.

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You gave two reasons and should have given three. The 3rd being there is 100+ juniors declaring for this draft. That's a record number and though they all will not be drafted they can't return to the collegiate ranks and that will help deplete the talent available next year to a degree.

If there is a player available who can make your team better make the deal.

Cajun-