1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

trade value

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by freakfontana, Jan 7, 2012.

1. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    do you think any of these player have some trading value at end of the season ? since we should cut most of them would be nice to get a pick if we can
    hampton
    ward
    mcfadden
    a.smith
    farrior

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't want to trade Ward....he needs to retire a steeler

3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I understand it just, I just don't understand why it is now. Except for Aaron Smith, we need all of these guys to contribute now. The second season has just begun and the Steelers are expecting to win 4 more games.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    In truth, I don't think any of these guys has much trade value at all. McFadden may have has the most value since he's the youngest, but remember the Steelers got him back from Az for a 5th round pick 2 years ago. He certainly is work less than that now.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If the Steelers ever trade Ward, I will be disgusted with the team. He needs to retire a Steeler, unless he refused to admit when it's time to let go, in that case the Steelers can cut him. But they need to give him a chance to retire as a Steeler. Besides, I say keep him around in a lesser role and help him teach these young guys how to block.

None of those guys have trade value anyway

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd have to say casey would have the most value. you have to remember alot of teams just switched to the 3-4 a year ago, well near two years now. they are still trying to get 3-4 players in place. a NT that's schooled in the ways of the 3-4 are hard to come by. i'm sure there would be alot of interest in him. :cool:

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The big question is lets say that red and clay go off in the post season do they shop mendy

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    absolutely not. he's still a very valuble RB for us. not to mention most teams will have to see how he plays coming back from the knee injury. we have enough backups to counter this. alot of teams ( or most teams) don't have this kind of luxuary to sell the farm on a MAYBE. :cool:

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What would you offer for a 35yr year old NT, who historically has struggled to keep his weight 'managed'? Could you even get a 7th rounder for the guy?

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem being that the team is looking at being 30 mil over the cap according to some of the stories I have been reading so there will be some tough cuts and some things that will be very unpopular such as how do you keep Mendenhall and Wallace and get under the cap. I am sure that some of the vets who want to contribute and retire as Steelers will rework their contracts but that only gets them so far. Then comes the hard part in guys that have alot of upside but the team can't afford to keep not to mention signing the incoming draft class. I think with the line-up of backs that Mendenhall maybe a cap causality.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think first off we are really over loaded on the defensive side of the ball with contracts. we can't keep cutting from the offense to pay the defense. some of the older defensive players may have to go to balance this out at some point. :cool:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if you look throughout the league alot of the top NT's on teams are near this age. position wise with the turn around to teams running the 3-4 now, he may be the most prized out of the list given. :cool:

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    i think first off we are really over loaded on the defensive side of the ball with contracts. we can't keep cutting from the offense to pay the defense. some of the older defensive players may have to go to balance this out at some point. :cool:[/quote:17pii3dv]

But who is going to help get them closer to the cap? Woodley=New Contract, Timmons=New Contract Taylor=new contract. Silverback? possibility I guess, Kiesel? not a huge savings and big downside to letting him go. Farrior and Foote? again are they going to cut millions off the payroll? Troy and Clark? I think Troy plays to he wants to retire and would take a paycut. That basically leaves Hampton and Smith and as Afan said I don't think the value for Hampton is there for a trade and Smith wants to retire a Steeler so I am thinking he will reduce his pay and playing time to make it happen so he goes out on his terms and not an injury.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    But who is going to help get them closer to the cap? Woodley=New Contract, Timmons=New Contract Taylor=new contract. Silverback? possibility I guess, Kiesel? not a huge savings and big downside to letting him go. Farrior and Foote? again are they going to cut millions off the payroll? Troy and Clark? I think Troy plays to he wants to retire and would take a paycut. That basically leaves Hampton and Smith and as Afan said I don't think the value for Hampton is there for a trade and Smith wants to retire a Steeler so I am thinking he will reduce his pay and playing time to make it happen so he goes out on his terms and not an injury.[/quote:26b9i06h]

i think farrior,foote,bmac and casey may be the ones. if smith takes a contract reduction and stays it could also help. we would also lose will allens near 1.5 mil. kemoeatu 4 mil. this is a big reduction already with these players. i'll bet those guys would save about 20 mil between them. :cool:

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes if they have no plan to resign him , no if you want to keep him , but we are over the cap we need to pay brown and wallace and find a nt lb ol top level

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The vet minimum for guys w/ 10yr in, which is almost all of the guys we're talking about, is close to $1MM. That makes it hard to keep old vets for sentimental reasons when you're tight up against the cap.

17. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    no trade value for old vets.

18. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    hey,show me your tats

19. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    none of those guys have old trade value. 90% chance hines and a smith retire after this season. hines is gonna get the ole, "we're gonna cut you if you don't retire so save face and go out on your own terms" speech. hampton and farrior MIGHT have 1-2years left in the tank. nobody is gonna want them. mcfadden is tradeable but you couldn't expect much for him so what's the point? are you gonna trade him for a seventh-round pick that probably won't even make the team? might as well just keep b-mac on the roster.

if i were to trade anybody, it would be mendenhall. of course, his acl just blew that trade idea to shreds. i don't think he's much of a team guy. i think he's kind of aloof. tweets about weird conspiracy theories, takes hip-hop dance classes, writes poetry . . . he reminds me of kordell. not really woven into the fabric of this team. with that said, i also think his skill sets are replaceable. and i'd rather see his top rb money go towards a better o-lineman for redman/dwyer/batch to run behind.

i would have also dangled d dixon out there to see if any teams were interested in taking a shot on him but his contract is up at season's end so that idea is gone too.

20. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    No trade value at all...mainly due to the Steelers not trading them! I know its just for discussion and all...but yeah...its just a waste of time because thats not how the Steelers do business with their veteran guys.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good topic that will come into play as the draft nears. I do believe that the Steelers
    will be players in FA and the draft. They are going to purge players and with this purge
    will come savings from these high priced players.