1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Up!!!!

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Jan 4, 2013.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wrong he wouldn't lead the Steelers in tackles because they don't start rookies on defense.

2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I thought the same thing about Troy... Is he really that much better than Mike Doss? Turns out he was.

I wanted to stay put and get Asomugha and Doss instead of Troy and Alonzo Jackson.

HACK

3. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

True point...I meant he had more tackles than any Steeler.

and for the record Burfict did it playing out of position at OLB and not his more natural MLB

HACK

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    About Burfict..... its an old dead issue than has zero relevance here as far as to the point we should've spent a draft pick on him.

This is about trading up and for who. I like Teo' but would we be better served resigning foote to a vet min contract and drafting a safety 1st rd and a OLBer 2nd rd? We do have Spence though what we have we really don't know quite yet.

Is there anyone worth trading up for? What say you steeler Nation?

Cajun-

5. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    When talking about having to trade up for a MLB in 2013......it has everything to do with the fact that we could have used a 7th round pick in 2012...and then used a 1st in 2013 without trading on any spot.

HACK

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Okay, I get that and point taken. It still doesn't change the fact that right now we need a ILBer... OLBer... Safety... TE and young QB to replace one of our vets and to groom. So in 2013 do we trade up for Teo or anyone else?

Cajun-

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No. We stand pat or trade back.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    spence was a 3rd rd. pick that was going to be playing last year. we had some other LB'ers in camp we didn't keep. they chose to bring johnson in after the draft and had foote, so they thought they were in good shape at ilb, plus had sly. they didn't think we needed one in the 7th. oh well it's over. i do fully expect spence back and playing by next year. we need depth there not nescessarily in the top spot or a starter. safety could very easily play next year. i'd like a starter quality guy there.:cool:

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hack...I love you man, but get over it. You know what Burfict would have done for this defense....nothing. He would have played just as much as Spence did.

10. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I want a plug n play day one starter in the first.....which for the Steelers normally means about week 6 starter

I want a safety early...but I don't want a hitter...I want a ballhawk....How many times do you see Ryan Clark smacking his own helmet because he let a possible INT go right passed his head because he was lining up the knock out hit.

To me...that guy is David Amerson....he can play nickle and dime as a rookie...and moved to FS down the road.....Not the enforcer of Clark..but will get at least 3 or 4 INT's every year of his career.

Im either Te'o and Amerson....or Rolando McClain, Chance Warmack, and Amerson.

and yes..I do think Te'o is just that good....but he is a better person than a football player...he is heart and leadership...two things the combine doesn't measure.

HACK

11. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Wrong..he would have played all the snaps Carter got..and probably some of the ones Worilds got.

and I will never get over it..so everyone can quit telling me to do so....and it has nothing to do with Burfict not being a Steeler....it has to do with how much flack I got over saying he should be...its how many times I was told I was stupid..that the Bengals got nothing but a trouble maker, that they are so glad Hack doesn't make decisions for the Steelers.....I could care less about Burfict....what I am pushing is I WAS RIGHT!!!! HACK WAS RIGHT....and all the haters were wrong....so I say again....SUCK IT!
    [video=youtube;C13KWHYcW2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C13KWHYcW2c[/video]

12. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    But the point is nobody cares anymore (we're trying to talk about THIS YEARS DRAFT not history that CANNOT be changed), many people have said yes as of this point he could have been a good pickup for the Steelers, as so far he has been a good pickup for the Bengals (nobody is doubting/disputing this)...but you keep harping on it and harping on it. A LOT (if not all) of us have been right about something and others doubted it or were wrong...but you don't see anyone else here going to the lengths you have about this to just rub in it everyones face like a child would go "nah nah nah nah nah, I was right you were wrong, nah nah nah nah nah"

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If you can trade up a few spots and get a special player you do it. Teo is a special player and will be for a long time. People look at combine numbers way to much. They don't have pads on they are on a track and aren't reading and reacting to anything. If a guy runs a 4.7 fourty but reads and reacts to the play .03 seconds quicker then everybody else give the guy that ran the 4.7. There's speed and then there is football speed. He's smart and diagnoses the offense really quick. Him and Timmons would make one hell of a combo.

14. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    At this point I do not see any reason to trade up. This could change after the next few months...but I doubt it.

15. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I will continue to go nah nah nah...just like a child....for as long as I want...so get over it and move on. We are all right...but I get called out when I am wrong. I still get people bringing up Taylor Mays to me everytime they want to "show how Hack gets things wrong" Just a week ago I got to read "Glad Hack doesn't make decisions for the Steelers" and I never said a word. I know when I am wrong again...I will get to hear it all over again...so until then I will continue to go nah nah nah...just like a child....for as long as I want...so get over it and move on.

EDIT: and FYI you will note that I did not bring up Burfict until someone else did....I honestly rarely bring it up first...but I do indeed use it as a point to say I was right...and for the haters to SUCK IT!

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be comfortable trading up for Taylor Lewan (capable of pulling off RT) and Barkevious Mingo (who could contribute like Brice Irvin). I'm still torn on Te'o. Those three are pretty much it, unless someone unexpectedly slips.

I'd prefer staying at #17 though because I really think there is value there, and I'd like to keep our 2nd or 3rd round picks to pick up some quality depth.

17. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I think the Zach Taylor comparison might be pretty good for Te'o....but I would love to have had Taylor in the middle of the Steelers defense.

Every year...we talk about some guys with character concerns...and everyone says "he is not a Steeler type player" and I reply I don't care if he is a choir boy.....well Te'o really is a choir boy.

Perfect teammate....heart, leader, community oriented....just a good kid.

HACK

18. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Did you mean Zach Thomas? Anyways pretty funny stuff going on with the Burfict stuff. I watched him play though and wouldnt consider him the answer to any questions.

ALSO I wouldnt draft TEO early. I dont think he is a good value at 17 or higher.

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think there is absolute value for a guy who, 90% of the time will be in the right place to make a tackle and has the tangibles to make that tackle. Throw in a decent shot at a splash play and you can't go wrong. If a team values that kind of player, and they have a need for it, then there's top-10 value with Te'o.

I'd be thrilled with him at #17; I'm not yet convinced I'd trade up to say #12 and give up our 3rd (or something) for him, but I wouldn't be disturbed if we did.

He hasn't flashed any concerns about being injury prone (huge bonus for our team), is as stand-up of a guy as you could want, and has the collegiate production to back up the hype. That's valuable.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    First let me state that I have not watched alot of game material on these
    players mentioned. What I have seen from some of these players
    mentioned are why most of you people love them. Whoever we end up drafting
    and I am hoping like some one said, A ball hawking safety that can intercept
    passes in the first round and a DE/OLB that can get after the QB and ILB RB, QB, WR
    in appropriate rounds. These players must be Steeler material, we all know what that
    means, not afraid to hit, high energy players, not injury prone with GOOD character that love to play
    the game. May I also add that the Steelers should be EXploring all avenues not just the draft to find
    these ball players.

21. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You make me laugh even when you're not trying to Hack!Can I tell you guys to "suck it!" for not agreeing with me on Rahim Moore? We wouldn't need that ball-hawking safety if we had selected him..As for cajun's question in this thread:Yes, I'd be willing to move up for "Ziggy" Ansah or Manti Teo.

22. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hack,

I still say in 3 years Burfict goes off the deep end and we are talking about how we are glad we didn't draft him. I may be wrong, I have been wrong in the past and I will be wrong again in the future, but if I am right no matter how many tackles he had this year, it will have been the correct decision.

23. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

When that happens...I know I will have him thrown in my face left and right...which is why I am basking in my RIGHTNESS while I can.... If and when he explodes..and tears the Bengals to their very core...I am sure everyone will tell me to suck it....until then....everyone else can suck it! and for the record..I won't even mention his name again....if anything Burfict comes us from other posters...I will simply post my suck it video and move on....They will know...LOL

HACK

24. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hack,
    I have personally disagreed with you over the years about Limas Sweed (and yes I am the one bringing this up), but you were dead on about Vontaz Burfict...and I hope you are right about Amerson and Teo if we somehow get them...

25. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I am just not so sure about Elam being the best S in the draft...I think he is a solid safety...but I watched a lot of Florida (Nixon, Bostic, Jenkins, Elam, Gillislee, Floyd) this year..and he was quiet in so many games I would forget he was there....

HACK