1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade up for a NT?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerNDC, Apr 9, 2016.

1. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Thoughts on trading up for A'Shawn Robinson, the NT/DT from Bama? He looks to go somewhere in the teens. If he is still available after pick 15, what about trading our 1st and 3rd to move up and get someone's 1st and 4th round picks. I like some of the other NTs as well, but Robinson would likely be the best and able to stay on the field during passing downs.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    no

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Trading our 1st and 3rd for a 1st and 4th from someone nearly 10 spots above us is not a realistic trade scenario based on trades that have happened in the past. We may be able to trade our 1st and 3rd for a 1st rounder in the very high teens or low 20's without getting an additional pick as compensation. It's not a deal that I would consider doing for any of the nose tackle prospects. We need help on the interior D line, but in my view we need edge rushing and defensive backfield help even more.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I just don't think the Steelers value a NT like we use to. We play too much nickel. We aren't going to burn a high pick on a guy who only sees the field 35% of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I would only trade up for Ramsey. Or maybe Bosa, assuming one would drastically fall. Too many options along the DL to trade up for a DT.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

You dont move up to the teens from the mid twenties with a late 3rd round pick, NT isnt as valuable position as it was say 10 years ago when teams ran the ball more, we know where our weakness is, and thats in the secondary, we need all our picks in this draft and trading picks away isnt where we need to go, as well I dont think robinson will be drafted in the first round....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm still not convinced Robinson is going as high as a lot of people are saying. I think there's a very realistic chance he falls within the 22-27 range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Some analysts dont see him going in the first round:

From Rotoworld
    NFL Media analyst Chad Reuters opinion from earlier this week that while he could use his physical gifts against hapless collegiate linemen, the 6-foot-4, 307-pound Alabama product "plays too upright," a tendency that would hurt him at the next level. Breitenbach ended his Robinson rundown with a bold assertion: "Considering the depth at defensive line in this draft, it wouldn’t be a total shock to see Robinson fall further than the third round."

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I too dont think Robinson goes that high but we cant afford to take a NT with our first round pick anyway because of our red alert status at cornerback.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    There are only two DT worth the pick at 25 (that we could reasonably land) and its Rankins and Billings. I wouldn't hate taking either of those two guys at that spot... It seems like Alexander and Jackson are the two corners we are interested in and Bell and Neal seem like second round guys, and those are the safeties we seem to be most interested in. Those are the only three positions I see us going for in the first round

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Alexander had no interceptions last year. None.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the best dt/cb available will be the pick

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well alot of that is teams stayed away from him. That's easy to do in college

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers would never do this deal, they could stay at #25 and draft Billings.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats only true of a 0 tech NT. I'm not a fan of trading up for anyone though.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    We have to address too many other areas; no way we trade up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Or better yet Rankins:)

18. SteelerNDC

Oct 25, 2011
  19. Diamond

May 26, 2012

You can look at 20 different draft predictions and get 20 different players at 25, nobody knows, thats what makes the draft exciting, 2 or 3 trades can change the whole draft, already with the rams trading up has changed the draft and I expect at least two or three more trades in the first round will happen in the lead up and during this draft, truth is you could do better at the crap tables than you can in finding out who we will draft.........

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    That's a really different looking draft than most. I would be crushed if all those CBs go off the board that early.

Be tough to watch Treadwell drop that close to us just to miss out on him.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think we should take a NT in the 1st. ever again . We are in sub package Football so much I see no need to draft a part time player in the 1st. round.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, we did bring him in for a visit. If he's there at 25, I think there's a solid chance that he's the selection. I haven't watched enough tape on him to say what my feelings are on him at 25, but I do know from watching tape of Jarron Reed and Reggie Ragland that Robinson is pretty much unmovable by anything but a good double team (as is Reed). I read that a lot of folks are high on his upside. At minimum, he's a day 1 plugger inside. Gonna have to find time to watch him.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He looks good and against running Teams then I would say yes he is worth the pick.The problem is most Teams are not run 1st. Teams so he would only be on the field like 50 % of the time ..

24. SteelerNDC

Oct 25, 2011
    You know how valuable a NT is who makes it 3rd and long instead of 3rd and short? Even if he comes off the field on 3rd and long.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very valuable , but more and more Teams are using the quick passing game as the run game instead of running up the middle . I don't think it is smart to draft a position that can basically be schemed off the field .