1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Tomlin to Panthers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 3, 2023.

1. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Who designed those routes, two guys in the middle of the field might as well hold hands. Can the make it any easier to cover them and even Austin if that's who's at the top of the screen isn't massively separated either but at least they are running in opposite directions but easy for the DB who is beginning to break towards Austin and hands off DJ or pickens to the DB waiting right there. Unless pIckett looked left right away on that is going to be covered quickly. His first read looks like he is looking for the TE.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do agree on this, but....Bill Belichick is the boogeyman to me for so long.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People see only what they want to see.Mostly these commenters most likely never
    played organized football and wouldn't have a clue What is to suit up against
    world class athletes. I have tried to educate people what really is Involved to have successful play to no avail. KFP needs to play much better, but aot of things have to go right for plays to be successful IE a simple center to QB exchange. This is important and should be elementary at this level, but we have seen all year it has not.

5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We found MT, we will find another coach. He hasn't done anything in 10 years with a supposed hof QB .,Top wr top rb in their prime.
    Nothing. Time to cut bait, and move on. Pay him whatever he is owed and MOVE ON.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Feel the power of the dark side!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    The problem is the coaching gap. I have no idea how we'll do, but this won't be a runaway victory.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Too late, McCaffrey's gone.

10. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Anytime you have to try and qualify your position with “any objective person would agree with me”, you’ve conceded it’s weak. You do t speak for anyone but yourself. The game turned when Roberts went down because the Cardinals immediately attacked his replacement(s) with great success. The 99 yard drive doesn’t happen if Roberts doesn’t get hurt. Cards had done nothing on offense up until that point.

I appreciate the video along with the timestamp. It’s very informative but I’ve got to ask, did you even watch this yourself? I just watched the part where you gave the time stamp and it obviously supports what I’ve said. Your post is just a mountain of excuses. Yes the snap was a little off to the right but it had no effect on the play. Even the guy commenting over the video basically echoes what I’ve said. Austin is wide open and Kenny should’ve gotten him the ball. The play was literally designed for Austin to be a primary read and he didn’t even look over there. The timing wasn’t thrown off, he just panicked after he looked to the right and Najee wasn’t open.

The most discouraging thing for me as a fan is that he doesn’t even seem to understand the play design and what the execution should’ve been given the defensive look that he was shown. Once Austin sprints across the formation with nobody following g him, he should’ve know that they were facing a zone. He should’ve known that the db playing the left was in conflict and that he’d either have to come off of Pickens to try and get to Austin or Austin was going to be wide open. The fact that he didn’t see and execute that play is telling. View attachment 12358

This pic blows all of your excuses out of the water. Here he has the ball cleanly in a clean pocket. He’s just looking the wrong way. It’s like he didn’t even notice that nobody followed Austin on the motion route. There’s no excuses for that play my man. He got himself hurt

11. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    So lets have the admin lock down any new posts ever again then, because per your reply, any new post is narcissism.

That's it boys and girls, thesteelersfans.com is no longer allowing any new posts lest JEH label you a troll.

Do us a favor and and go off-grid for a few months and reset your brain. PLEASE!

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m having another great day I hope you are as well

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We've got pages and pages of people pointing out Pickett's mistakes and I have written about them in other posts. I just didn't write about them in that one post.

Sloppy play is a symptom of poor coaching. In many games this season, the Steelers were disciplined. They avoided sloppy penalties and turnovers. That was a credit to the coaching staff and the players. Sunday was the opposite. They were sloppy, especially making unforced errors. Cole's snaps were unforced errors. If he can't do it properly, he shouldn't be out there. That's a coaching issue. Not being lined up properly is on the coaches. Sending 10 players onto the field instead of 11 is on the coaches as well as the players. It wasn't all the coaches, but they definitely deserve a big chunk of the blame.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Coaches don't really get traded. When they do, it's usually a combination of the coach wanting out or the team wanting him gone. In those cases, if he's still under contract and another team wants him, why not demand compensation? It's not a trade the same way it is for players, where the coach gets shopped around and the best offer gets him. Usually the coach picks his next team and rather than terminating the contract, the previous team gets some type of compensation.

If Tomlin wants out after this season and has another team lined up to hire him, then yeah, he'll get traded and we'll get compensated. Otherwise it's not happening.

15. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    You all know the problems go deeper than Tomlin right?

1.AR 2
    2. Draft and developing

I get wanting to get rid of the Steelers version of Marvin Lewis, but the cancer remains.

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe, maybe not. Just like Canada's 1st year. There was uncertainty whether he was the problem or if Ben was washed up. We quickly found out and it's astonishing that they brought him back this year and destroyed an entire year, but sometimes it's hard to tell how deep the issues go. If AR2's only issue is he's too patient or too loyal, that won't be an issue if we get a great coach.

At some point something has to give. They can't keep Tomlin here forever without success. It defies all logic. I just hope they hire a good, offensive minded coach and don't try to promote from within.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, the Patriots' defense has been good lately. They held the last three opponents to 10 points or less, including the Colts and Chargers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    This is laughable because you’re on the board more than I do you know for sure that the coaches haven’t been credited for much of anything by the majority here. Whine the team is 7-5 you’d think that they were 2-10 with how people here talk about the team. I regularly see posts denigrating Tomlin and his staff as terrible and in need of being replaced.

If you’re going to criticize a coach for having an undisciplined “sloppy” team then you should be using a sample size bigger than 1 game. Overall the Steelers are 20th in penalties which is well above average. When you fire your oc and loose your top 3 inside lbs and have to rely on practice squad guys, there could be some sloppiness.

Many here have a bias against Tomlin and will spin anything g to support their “he’s a bad coach who should be gone” agenda.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How do you know the play was designed for Austin to be the primary read? You don't. Yes, Pickett's pre-snap read was poor, but perhaps he was supposed to look at one of the routes in front of him first. That would be a coaching issue. Based on Pickett's behavior, Austin wasn't his first read and that makes no sense.

Also, your premise regarding the snaps is flawed. Constantly having to adjust to poor snaps is disruptive. That throws off timing and delays the quarterback's ability to focus on reading the coverage at the snap. Cole's poor play has made things more difficult for Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have made fun of the negativity here in the past, but it was warranted Sunday. I wasn't saying they were a sloppy team this season. The facts don't support that claim. I am saying they were sloppy in that game. You just misread my point.

The losses at linebacker don't excuse the sloppy play on special teams or on offense. They didn't lose three linebackers in one game. They lost one. They shouldn't fall apart just because Roberts got hurt. That is poor preparation.

21. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

If you don't think that the play where Pickett was injured and being stopped from scoring on fourth down was the turning point of the game, you can give me a nice list of others that said it wasn't. Pretty much everyone I have talked to and have heard in the media said the sequence of Pickett injured inside the one and then being stopped on fourth down was the turning point of the game. Also, if you're going to put quotes around something I said....it should be what I said. Stop putting quotes around something unless it's an exact quote. That's you talking and that's weak sauce.

Excuses? I suggest what happened and backed it up with video of what happened. Not the single snapshot that you want to turn into an open and shut case. It sure sounds like you're the one making excuses for something or to just able to tell people what happened rather than show them what happened.

Saying the snap has "no effect on the play." displays that you don't know what you're talking about.

A quarterback that can't get a grip on the ball and can't make a throw on time to a player running to the sideline is a problem. The momentum of moving to the right to get the snap and having to catch it with the fingers on one hand make him lose his base to make a quick throw in the opposite direction to his left. He had to catch it with his right hand and then bring the ball back to his body and get both hands on it to re-grip the ball. If you played quarterback you would know this. So when he looked to Najee and he was covered, you can even see in your pic that the edge player had quickly beaten the RT so Pickett ran with the ball. This isn't hard. You are trying to make it hard.

Of course I watched the entire video. The guy makes a remark about Pickett's long stride to his back foot. Asks what everyone thinks about that and says he's not a quarterback coach so he was looking for input. He's not an expert. He knows some things, but he isn't some guru. He even references a video from Kurt Warner that sees something differently than he does about Pickett's eyes. He says he thinks Warner might be wrong and he is right, acknowledging that Warner is a HOF quarterback. I posted a video of a person that I don't really agree with everything as he evaluates it. It was simply to point out the one play you are talking about and the angle that shows what happened with the snap.

The whole point isn't to say that the person who did the video is correct. I don't agree with him at all. I viewed his video and the angle of the play and see it differently than the person evaluating the film.

I already explained to you and showed you that it was a bad snap and he only got one hand on the ball. That means he wasn't able to get a grip on the ball immediately and to make a throw to a guy with 4.3 speed moving towards the sideline doesn't leave much time. Split seconds make a difference and because the defense is in zone, their eyes are on the quarterback, so a late throw there could be trouble. I say the snap made Pickett do what he did on that play.

Your pic doesn't mean anything. A video shows what really happened on the play. Only someone trying to manipulate what people see use a still photo and say it's better than a full video of the play. To try to claim that a still snapshot shows you what really happened on a play rather than the entire play from multiple angles on film does is ridiculous. Only someone that has an agenda would claim that a pic gives us more information than a full video of the play from multiple angles.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We want draft picks my man, we have two good rb's

23. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022