1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Tomlin to Panthers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 3, 2023.

1. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm done with Tomlin. I will always like him bc he brought a superbowl victory regardless of if it was with his or chins players.

This is such a terrible product and the buck stops with him.

Can't wait to watch this spectacle thursday

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I dread the TNF game. It's gonna be a total sh!tshow with backup QB and lack of depth at ILB.

3. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm becoming apathetic towards the results. I expect to be disappointed which is the norm the past few years. I will still root for them and hope they win but I expect a sh!tshow week in week out...it's the standard

I just want change. It may spark something.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Look for Stevenson and Zeke to rack up yards on the ground. Look for a good game from Zappe and Juju... they will probably have their best game, stat-wise, this season.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't hate Tomlin, but his team was not prepared to play yesterday. They were sloppy, unfocused, and disorganized. They had the opportunity to bury the Cardinals before the injuries hit and they still had the chance to rally after, but could not get their heads out of their asses. The Steelers have their flaws, but the team they have been most of this season is much better than the Cardinals. They seem to think they can just screw around in the first half and win it in the end. That is a reflection on their coach.

Look at the mistakes. They wasted a time-out because a player who was supposed to be on the field wasn't there. Twice, they were penalized for an illegal formation. One of those wiped out a big run by Warren, turning first-and-10 near midfield into first-and-15 near their own 20. Elandon Roberts missed an easy interception, instead choosing to light up the receiver, taking a 15-yard penalty that gave the Cardinals a field goal at a point in the game when their offense could do nothing right. Mason Cole's shotgun snaps were a disaster. Twice, they were at the quarterback's shoe tops, leading to a bobble that ruined the play. The first cost them their opportunity to convert a third-and-short. The second led to a devastating turnover. The defense tackled poorly and blew coverages. Pickett missed open receivers multiple times including the play on which he got hurt, when Austin was wide open to his left. Boswell missed an easy field goal. The entire line was stood up on that fourth-and-one failure. These are mistakes that can't happen. This is a lack of focus and mental toughness. Sure, the players bear some responsibility, but that is also a reflection of poor coaching.

Take the 99-yard drive. It should have never gotten started. The Cardinals faced a third-and-six at their own 29 and called a run. That should never work. Walker wasn't fooled, but he missed the tackle short of the first down and he had no help, so that turned into a 19-yard run that sparked the drive that won the game for Arizona. The veterans on defense were fooled and the one guy who wasn't missed an easy tackle.

Injuries played a role, too, but the game was tied, 3-3, before anybody got hurt. They were tied with a horrid opponent when they should have been winning easily. Some of that was on the players, but once again, Tomlin didn't have his team ready.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Belichick isn't stupid. He knows enough to attack the middle of that defense. Yet another injury at inside linebacker has left them in disarray, and it's going to be tough to fix that in three days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'll take this deal.

8. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    The team came out ready to go, so no I don’t agree with this assessment. The defense came out roaring and the first offensive drive led to a score. They took the momentum early but the same old subpar qb play stifled all of that. It’s hard to bury a team when you don’t have a qb that can consistently take advantage of the routine plays. Once again points were left on the field due to Kenny’s deficiencies. We saw the same thing last week which is why they only scored 16 points even tho they thoroughly outplayed the Bengals.

Kenny literally got himself injured unnecessarily. He inexplicably missed a wide open Austin. I mean, he didn’t even look to Austin’s side of the field on a play that seemed to be designed to have Austin as a primary read.

The mistakes you note here are a byproduct of having new players and coaches thrust into different roles unexpectedly. You change your oc in the middle of the season and replace him with 2 different guys while also having to resort to practice squad guys as your green dot play callers on defense, these things are likely to happen. Did you conveniently forget that Carter and Robinson were the 2 Ilbs and that Canada was fired 2 weeks ago?

Pickett and Cole are average to subpar players. Their mistakes are inherent to their level of play. Boswell missing a kick and Robert’s getting that penalty has nothing to do with coaching. Those things happen because guys aren’t perfect.

Walker is a practice squad guy who they basically got off the street out of necessity. It was a 1on1 tackle and he just missed it. How is that coaching? Roberts makes the tackle.

The game basically turned when Roberts got injured. Once he went down it exposed a massive hole in the middle of the defense and the Cardinals took full advantage.

You act like the Steelers have been world beaters all year lol. This is the same team that has been out gained by every opponent except maybe 1 or 2. The same team that has been out scored by their opponents for the whole year. They only have a 7-5 record because they are so well coached/managed. This team shouldn’t be 7-5. They’ve had one of the worst offenses in the league all year and haven’t blown anybody out yet. Expecting them to blow the cards out or even clearly outclass them was ignorant and only wishful thinking. This team has very obvious holes but it’s the injuries plus regression of Kenny that’s holding them back.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, Pickett did not stifle the offense early. Cole and Johnson did. On the first drive, Cole botched the snap on third down, disrupting the rhythm of the play. Cole's incompetence has been hurting Pickett all season. The low snaps disrupt timing and delay the quarterback in reading the defense. The way he is too often shoved back into the backfield makes it difficult for a quarterback to step up in the pocket, another common complaint about Pickett. The offense started fast on the next drive, too, including a run of over 10 yards by Warren, but that was called by on a sloppy illegal motion penalty against Johnson.

Get 10 or 14 instead of three on those two drives and have Roberts get the easy interception instead of handing the Cardinals a field goal and the Cardinals are buried. Instead, those quick starts were buried in a series of stupid, unforced errors by the entire team, not just the quarterback. That is why I say they were not prepared to play. Effort and energy are not the only ways a team shows that it is prepared or not. When the team makes one sloppy mistake after another, they are not prepared. They think they can just show up and play without a proper focus just because the opponent sucks. The Cardinals showed them the error of their ways, then the injuries hit and they were screwed.

To be clear, the Cardinals aren't like every other team they faced this season. They are by far the worst team the Steelers had played, among the very worst in the league. The Steelers had only faced two teams with a losing record this season, the Titans and Raiders. The Titans took a good Colts team to overtime yesterday. With a couple of exceptions, the Raiders have been competitive this year. The Cardinals entered the game 2-10 and they had just been throttled by a mediocre Rams team.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    And don't forget that the Cards are a better team now that Murray is back.

11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    So you listen to the radio......good for you

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Only if we can include some of the so called fans with him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    Cole and his low snaps are not about coaching and lack of preparation. He just isn’t that good. The idea of chalking every mistake up to coaching is just silly. Y’all certainly don’t do this in reverse when it comes to good plays.

You highlight everybody else’s mistakes but downplay Kenny’s. Kenny’s deficiencies took more than 1 score off the board. He stifled the team as did Cole.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Frank Reich as OC next year, what do you think?

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    NO

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Shouldn't we let the new head coach decide that? :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

With all due respect, the game changed when Pickett got hurt. They were controlling most of the play, but mistakes not by Kenny Pickett kept them from scoring more. Then Pickett drives them down the field and gets injured at the 6 inch line. Supposedly missing a player in the flat and coming within a whisker of running for a touchdown by running doesn't seem like the worst thing that happened in Sunday's game. After the injury to Pickett, the team got stuffed trying to score on fourth down in a tie game. Then, the defense allows the Cardinals to go 99 yards to score after Pickett is hurt and had to leave the game.

The early part of the game, the center was firing bad snaps everywhere. May have cost them a touchdown. Also the penalties to give the offense bad down and distance situations. Pickett didn't screw anything up in the first half or make any big mistakes. Pickett didn't commit any penalties on defense, and he sure didn't commit any special teams penalties.

Also, he didn't get himself injured. He was injured trying to score a touchdown in a game that he was playing already injured. There's a difference. Maybe a few other players should have played as hard as he did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    @SteelerGlenn I'm not so sure what's funny about suicide, but more power to you

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    Kenny made mistakes before that drive that kept points off the board, but that’s the usual. The game turned when Roberts went down. They gave up the 99 yard drive because the Cardinals took advantage of the hole in the middle. They basically picked on Carter all the way down the field. Their offense was in a vice grip until Roberts went down.

Kenny screws things up by not making routine plays routinely. Again, he got himself hurt by scrambling on a play where he shouldn’t have scrambled. Austin was wide open in the flat on that play and he doesn't see him. Doesn’t even look his way. That’s a pass that should’ve been anticipated before the snap due to no one following Austin on his sprint across the formation. It was obviously zone which meant he had the fastest guy on the field running free to the flat.He predetermined going to Najee on the right then panicked and runs when it wasn’t there. This mistake was worth 7 points for the team and maybe several games for him.
    upload_2023-12-5_6-13-21.png

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The quote above from you is what I tagged as hilarious. Now where in the **** in there does it mention anything about suicide or even hint at it? What I found hilarious was your take on Tomlins mental health diagnosed through a TV screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I was in the psych ward due to suicide...

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We’ll win by double digits Thursday. Neither Bailey Zappe nor Mac Jones are close to Kyler Murray’s level.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    No one is trading us ANYTHING for our useless HC. Wishful thinking. Well maybe that moron owner of the Raiders would. He hired McDaniels even after disaster upton disaster on his coaching resume. The Belichick coaching tree is nose-diving now that he is exposed as a fraud without GOAT Brady.

Just fire Tomlin already. Rip off the band-aid and try to become contenders again and not just some rudderless team adrift in the arctic sea.

24. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Any objective person watching the game believes that the sequence where Pickett got hurt and they went for the touchdown of fourth down was the turning point of the game.

On the play where Pickett was injured, I wish people would actually watch what happens from different angles. Sometimes it helps to explain what happens on the field before they crush players and yelling to the world that they suck or that he got himself hurt.

First of all, the snap was far to Pickett's right. He had to move to the right and reach to get the bad snap with one hand, like just about every play anymore with Cole snapping the football. Pickett is always fighting bad snaps.....Always. Hardly anybody mentions the bad snaps. They happen constantly, and they are impacting the play of the QB.

The reason he may have even come off of looking that way was because of the snap. It screwed up the timing of the play, and it looked like he may not have had the quick grip to even attempt that throw to the left after the bad snap with Austin flying towards the sideline. He may not have had the time, plus his footwork was off reaching for the ball. If he couldn't get a quick grip, he probably decided that the read is off the table.

Here's a video of Pickett's performance if you want to watch the whole thing, but I want you to watch the video showing that play from behind the QB. It clearly shows the bad snap which could have affected his ability to make a quick throw to his left across the field.

This isn't made up stuff. This isn't an excuse. It's a reason. Watch starting at 11:10 of the video.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So again where did I make light of suicide like you accused me of?