1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Proposal - Steelers/Skins for Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is so advanced that it has inspired me to go back to school... and study psychiatry.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Did I miss something? Did Haskins somehow transform the Redskins into a winner this week? Just watched highlights...looked like Skins got their asses handed to them.

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    So did Bubby Brister and Joe Gilliam..just saying

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Very impressive indeed. Haskins does have a quality arm. However, there is one issue here; a big one at that.

Experience.

To start, Mason started all four years at Oklahoma State. Yes, Mason did have to sit behind Big Ben in his rookie season. That said, he still did not play. Come Week 2 against Seattle after the injury to Ben, we all did. Given the circumstances, Mason could have won us that game had Keith Butler not gone full vintage "Derp Mode" and place his defensive players in unwinnable situations. Heck, Mason could have this team at 4-2 if both Conner and JuJu secure the football (Marlon still made an amazing play so that is nothing against him).

In comparison, Dwayne only started one year at Ohio State. Yes, he did have an exceptional season in the B1G; something not many QBs have had up to that point. However, experience is still a very big point of emphasis when drafting a QB. It is not the biggest factor but it is critical.

Said reason is why Dwayne did not start out the season as the starter. His Pre Season showcase was more than enough evidence as to why he should not be even the starter. When it was his time to start against the Giants, he stinked it up big time.

In short?! A Quarterback is not defined by having a Missle Launcher for an arm. There are so many variables towards being a good QB. Mason has many of the critical ones;

1.) Leadership

2.) Poise

3.) Pocket Presence

4.) Processing

5.) Accurate

6.) Decision Making

I have seen both Mason.and Dwayne in their college careers. Mason possess all six. Dwayne only possess one thus far.... one that still needs tuning. The other five he does not have yet. Even this though is not why Mason better than Dwayne.

Mason is better for the Steelers than Dwayne due to the fact that Pittsburgh already sees him as Ben's heir apparent. Dwayne is not even considered such. If Dwayne was seen as Ben's apparent, Pittsburgh should have traded to get him instead of Devin Bush.

In short?! Mason is not just a better option for Pittsburgh but also the future. Why is this the case?! I will take a Quarterback with the traits coaches simply cannot teach versus a Quarterback who only possess a howitzer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Listen you and sdot can go at it all day all I am saying is he is not grasping at straws there has been interest by Washington. Can they talk to MT hell no not without permission from the Steelers, but that is a whole different topic. As far as the plane goes it was asked to Dulac and I think he made a joke out of it and it ran wild on redditt.:

Steve: Good morning! Any truth to or thoughts on the Redskin plane being in Pittsburgh yesterday?
    Gerry Dulac: Oh yeah...I saw Tomlin get on board

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...s-Steelers-chat-10-09-19/stories/201910090122

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    If you watched the highlights you'd realize he didn't play. Watch his 1st preseason game. He could be really good in right situation.

Here's the thing... Steelers have said Ben is the QB and honoring his contract. How is Rudolph, media, and fans going to handle that? Sounds like drama to me. Also, if Ben does honor his contract and play next 2 years. Rudolph will be due a contract. How much are you paying him after not playing much and being a back up for 2 years? Swapping Rudolph for Haskins buys us an extra 2 years after Ben. I'm not really impressed with Rudolph either to be honest.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I did. That very first Pre Season game means nothing. The third one is the one that I watch barring extreme circumstances. If anything, the way Dwayne played in Weeks One and Two not just reaffirmed my concerns but amplified them. It takes him time to process information. That alone is more than enough as to why he should not start. Keep in mind I did, nor will I, go in depth into his other issues.

Interesting. Strike one.

To start, people have already reacted to Ben honoring the contract. There was no major negative developments that became of it. The only aspect of this is dramatic is those who are attemtping to create a story of it.

Strike two.

Mason and Ben's contracts are both tied to the present and future. This situation at present for both ties into the present because, due to Ben's injury, the team can now begin to have a greater in depth analysis on if Mason truly is Ben's heir apparent. This in turn, affects the future given the fact that, should Mason truly be the guy, Pittsburgh can elect to move on from Big Ben. If not, Pittsburgh will have to address the QB issue in 2021 as that is Ben's final year.

Your biggest mistake I am afraid. Strike Three.

Again, Dwayne was thrown into the fire against the Giants and, nevermind looking like a rookie, he looked lost. Mason, on the other hand, looked composed and confident. Way too early to write off both but Mason has shown me more. For that matter, Mason's Rookie Pre-Season surpasses Dwayne's.

As I said, Mason possess the intangibles. Dwayne does not. Such traits you cannot teach. Give me the QB with the unteachables with some room to grow versus one with a howitzer.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hopefully he wasn't talking to Art ll about buying the Steelers. That would be icing on the cake this season.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Nobody has any clue as to what quality of QB either Rudolph or Haskins may be.

1 game for Haskins with a team that was a failed two pt conversion away from losing to the Dolphins and 3 and a half games for Rudolph throwing a bunch of checkdowns.

There's no basis for conclusions to be drawn on either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I did the same thing, Tomlin for their number one, no one else, Rudolph stays.

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What am I doing with our Top 3 1st from Skins? I'm trading back to a team in the 10-15 range. Team like the Bucs who needs a franchise QB. Swap of 1st, their 2020 2nd, their 2020 3rd, and 2021 2nd.

Round 1 - Albert Okwuegbunam. Try to sign Vannett to a deal. I guess that means McDonald could be traded during trade block. Get our pick back from Seahawks for Vannett basically a swap.

Round 2 - Tyler Biadasz. We need to find a Pouncey replacement soon. BJ Finney is solid but not the answer. He's versatile though and he was looking good at camp at guard so maybe he can fill that spot next season for Ramon Foster.

Too early for the next rounds. But I'm going bpa DE and Guard in rounds 3-4. I just got us the best TE and center in the draft.

Future looks bright got us Haskins, Albert, and Tyler. Only issue is the same issue this year. We need somebody to stretch the field and take doubles of Juju and stacking box on Conner. That's why I wanted Metcalf. There's a bunch of FA we can target to fill this role. Maybe Bryant will be allowed back in the league. Snead, Agholor, Robinson, Pascal. A lot of guys coming off rookie deals that could fill this role.

GMDOT

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe you meant to say that said dummies can't put two and two together. Perhaps you should express yourself with more skill before you question the intellectual capacities of others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    My thread is dealing in a world where the Skins really want Tomlin and Tomlin wants the job. Look at the trade and say yes or no and why. I'm not backtracking and arguing the semantics of why a Skins plane was in Pittsburgh. Anybody with a brain could figure that one out.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Haskins was thrown into the fire down 14. He looked poised to me and not lost at all. I'm actually surprised at how well he stays in the pocket for a rookie and how trash his o-line is. He's a true pocket passer who can run if need be. His 1st int was bad but it was a 50/50 ball and his receiver didn't fight for it. 2nd int was a jump ball deep. 3rd int was Davis fault. Threw a great ball and hit him coming out of route but wasn't ready.

16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just wonder if Tomlin feels pressure from ownership? Or does he assume that it would take an act of god to get him fired?

If it's the latter, it's not hard to see why this team always seems to be treading water.

Teams need a maximum effort head coach, not a cruise control coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wait a minute. I thought you only watched Steelers games?

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He has a “loose” definition of the word boycott.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That's Sdot. This thread was brought to you by GMdot.

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Floated the trade by some Skins fans and they liked it :shrug:

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fraud

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I watch most NFL games that are on. I think I'm doing my share to contribute to the SDOT boycott.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You've spent a lot of time on something that has probably less than 1% chance of happening. But as long as you're having fun I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Because we have an incompetent GM and mentality stuck in the 70s? Yeah, your probably right.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    With such great gm'ing skills i am surprised that you could not work acquiring Metcalf in the deal. Three way trades are only accomplished by the better gms.