1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I agree. Trade Ben. .......Listen, you guys seem to think BB is ageless. If you can't see him quickly turning into an old, beat up, doesn't care anymore, QB....you're blind.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Brady is the Yoda of Dink and Dunk. A true Jedi Master. It will get him into the HOF.

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Beyond the stupidity of this suggestion, you do realize the cap hit for Ben would then be for this year 43 million, then 25 million next year? So to trade him they would have to come up with about 17 million in cap space for this year, yea that makes sense.

4. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Think about what you are saying. Who is going to take huge cap hit and trade something worthwhile if all 31 other teams are as enlightened as you are? Or are you counting on other teams being " blind"? If someone would actually trade for Ben, do you think they would do so if they didn't think he would win games for them? Then maybe you were the one that is blind. What would be your selling point to get a decent trade for a future HOF QB who doesn't care anymore?

5. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    The only way Ben goes away is if he is injured for a lot of games and Mason does what Ben did when Tommy Turnover got hurt. Then I can see this happening. Chances are staggering low. All I care about is winning and really don't care who is doing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Guess I spoke before thinking.........but.........I stand by the rest of my post, in that, BB is heading into the sunset, and we NEED to start getting his replacement ready.......BB is getting into the "hanging on too long" QB scenario. I don't want to remember the "struggling" BB, I want to remember the Super Bowl BB.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I too want to start anew but maybe some of us are wrong about Ben. Tough first game for sure but he must want to play or he would have got out. I just hope he is not staying around because he has nothing to do after football. He sure the hell will never be a talking head on sport shows. Can't see him as a QB coach somewhere but who knows.

Even in his younger days he never struck me as being all fired up on the field. Not like Rivers yelling at everybody. I would imagine it is just his nature but he does, at times, looked like he checked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben will bounce back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I am no capologist, but I believe the Steelers would eat most of that bonus (like they had to with AB), thus making an aging just recently resigned QB untradeable. Not that many would be lined up to make that trade.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He would actually be extremely tradeable from the acquiring team’s perspective because 1. the new team would not have the burden of the signing bonus dollars. That would remain a hit to the Steelers’ cap, and 2. (more importantly) he’s still a great QB who is capable of leading a team to a championship despite his bouts with inconsistency.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Same stuff every year, BBH!

:sleepy:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Somebody punch Ben in the mouth, get his juices flowing.

13. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    We certainly don't need to trade our starting QB, we need the receivers to catch the dam ball. Speaking of balls we need a coach to grow a pair not going for it on the one yard line is gutless. It says you have no confidence in your offensive line , its not like a NE stop would have fired them up they were already playing a near perfect game.
    The three points were meaningless unless MT was concerned about being shut out which counts for nothing anyways.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of heat being thrown at Ben but keep in mind, MonGrief dropped a TD pass, killed a drive with a dropped first down pass, JW ran out of bounds on what likely would have been a TD, Tomlin elected not to go for it at 4th and goal. That’s 21 points plus a killed drive.

Perspective.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Which could’ve removed points from them as well. Would’ve been a closer loss

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I can’t get on board with the premise of the title of this thread. Now if the thread was called Train Ben I would agree with that.:hehehe:

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Remember the Arizona Wranglers and Chicago Blitz?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Valid points Blast. I did throw alot at Ben this week. He just looked unprepared, not up to speed. His chemistry with Moncrief & Washington needs to improve. Lots of work to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I go through these gyrations on every loss. When I’m done, we are 19-0 every year. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    OK. Moderators could you please file this thread starter along with the group of Flat Earther's, Moon Landing Hoax, Bigfoot and alien bodies in Area 51. Please?

As for this idea, NOT.

As much as I hate Ben at times, yes his nickname with me is Jethro as in Jethro Bodine, but this is not even remotely going to happen or a good idea to boot.

1. Ben is too old. No one is going to trade for a year from retirement QB. Yea, for a 15th rounder maybe, but it ain't going to happen. He is too old.

2. Ben, if traded, would simply retire. No way would he want to go to another team at his AGE. He is so close now, going somewhere else for him would not be an option.

That's just for starters.

rutan

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    For what in return? We are eating 20 million for AB this year. If you trade Ben immediately we would be on the hook for 45 million, and I believe that is immediate. That is what I mean untradeable, the Steelers would essentially be tanking for several years, unable to sign the key players they want to retain, let alone any free agency (not that they do a lot of that anyway). Even if you got a first for Ben (doubtful), the holes you create by having to eat his contract would be huge. I actually fault the Steelers and Ben for this last contract. I get the, 'this is what I am worth' stuff, but Brady takes less and the Pats consistently put together a championship quality team. They do not necessarily got after top FA's, but have a knack for keeping the right players. What could the Steelers have done if Ben took 5 million less a year? Perhaps a quality TE?

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was responding to whether another team would want to trade for him, and I think there are teams who would fall all over themselves to trade for him and take on his contract. I agree it makes zero sense from our perspective.

I am disappointed that we couldn’t lock him up for $5 million less per year, but what we’re paying is a reasonable market value by NFL standards.

Also, on Brady taking less, do some reading on the Pats’ outside business relationship with Tom Brady’s company TB12. I haven’t dug into it myself, but my understanding from people who have is that it’s on the fringe of violating cap rules - but is just clean enough that the NFL isn’t able to enforce anything, or chooses not to pursue it. Point is: Brady gets more $$$ from the Pats than what’s on their salary cap books.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I did some reading and now I hate that team even more.

I also noted this:
    https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-salary-cap-loophole-might-be-trouble

25. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Can't comprehend why Ben is being blamed? Our defense was horrendous! Opinions about Ben starting slow, etc.. Lets look at the facts: A 'young' offense trying to find it's way with the extra pressure - because while on the sideline they were entertained with the opponent moving down the field at-will.

The offense play calling is and has been very poor for several years. Steelers passing deep on 3rd and short isn't anything new. Passing on 3rd and short isn't anything new to todays league...but this offense has the talent to run ....and they don't.

I think we have the talent on D to be top 6. ...but the coaching :( horrible