1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tottenham interested in hosting the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Animus, May 24, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ham-considering-bid-host-2026-Super-Bowl.html

Logistically a SB in London is very possible, but not the most ideal. But considering that the game has outpriced the average fan, does it really matter where it's played? Also considering that since teams travel to the SB city practically a week in advance, time zones really aren't going to factor much, for the teams and media. Realistically, if you do kick-off at 8PM in London, the kick-off in the states will be 3PM Eastern/Noon West Coast. Perhaps that there's some way to speed it up some, shorter commercial breaks and shorter HT show so it's over prior to midnight.

SB is always star-studded so why not include English stars especially with a halftime show featuring a native band from England with an American band. English & American bands can perform nightly concerts leading up to the big game kinda like what we see now. Have a local star sing that England's national anthem and an American star perform our national anthem.

Perhaps this never happens; I think it should. It's the best way to grow our brand of football. Europe has more than enough stadiums that are large enough to hold the event. And they have the media space and hotel space to host it as well. If they're holding Champions League and Europas games, then they have more than enough space for the SB. You can also use this opportunity to feature European players in the NFL for things like the coin toss and such.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    For our MB friends across the Pond (Shaner, Thigpen, Sheffield etc) I think it would be great, especially if the Steelers miraculously made it. But.... probably much better chance of the Pro-Bowl shifting from Honolulu to GB than the SB. :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    That's if the PB continues to exist.

To the extent that the SB is becoming more of an event than just a game, despite the importance of the game, I think it behooves the NFL to change the timeslot to make it more accessible to an European audience. I don't think a 2PM/11AM (Eastern/Western) start time is that awful, as opposed to 6:20/3:20 which means it's kicking off at 11:20pm in the UK and 12:20am across the bulk of Europe. There's a plethora of B12 games that kick off at 11AM, so I don't think that's horrible for a SB in LA starting at 11AM. That means teams are practicing at 9AM, and there's a lot less pregame activities on gameday; however, they could be achieved the night before.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It's an interesting idea. I just can't get my mind wrapped around it. Having the SB in another country just feels un American. I realize that sounds xenophobic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I feel the same, but wouldn't hate the idea.