1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Total Disrespect From the Boston Herald

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dkblue, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yapping, losing always on menu vs. Pats

By Ron Borges

FOXBORO — It is Steelers Week here, and as always at this time of Steelers Week, the Steelers are winning. Their problem comes on Patriots [team stats] Sunday, which is how Steelers Week usually ends.

“We’re not intimidated by nobody,” Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton boasted yesterday from Pittsburgh.

Surely they’re not. That process usually doesn’t start until around the third quarter of a Patriots Sunday during Steelers Week, although sometimes it has started in the first minute if Tom Brady [stats] was particularly miffed at how the Steelers had put their cleats in their mouth all week.

Every season is different, of course. So is every Steelers Week. It’s just the games that seem the same.

That is why Hampton, who hasn’t played in three weeks because of a sore shoulder but may return Sunday, isn’t intimidated. He, like most of the pugnacious Pittsburghers, keep thinking playing Brady is like playing the stock market: Past success is no guarantee of future gains.

Or, in their case, vice versa.

“It’s not Steelers vs. history,” oft-beaten defensive end Brett Keisel said this week. “It’s Steelers vs. Patriots. You just have to play ball. You don’t have to play history.”

That is true. Unfortunately for the Steelers, they have to play Brady with the ball, and history tells us that when he has it, the Steelers are history.

You might recall the greatest example of this, which came Dec. 9, 2007.

Anthony Smith, a second-year safety out of Syracuse who now is long gone, guaranteed the Steelers would snap the undefeated Patriots’ 12-game winning streak.

Apparently suffering from some sort of delusional episode, Smith said during that Steelers Week talk-a-thon that, “People keep asking me if we’re ready for the Patriots. They should be asking if they’re ready for us. We’re going to win. Yeah, I can guarantee a win.”

The following Sunday afternoon, Brady drilled a 4-yard touchdown pass to Randy Moss in front of Smith’s face and then climbed into the safety’s facemask in the end zone, guaranteeing him a long day. On the next series, Brady scorched Smith on a 63-yard touchdown pass to Moss. And later he showed Smith the true face of intimidation when he suckered him in on a double-lateral flea-flicker that ended with a Brady 56-yard TD pass into the waiting arms of Jabar Gaffney.

Those plays inspired Chief Stone Face, aka Bill Belichick, to quip, “We’ve played against a lot better safeties than him, I’ll tell you.”

Not even a nitwit like Anthony Smith would have guaranteed during Steelers Week a quote like that from Bill Belichick.

When visiting a crime scene — and it is criminal the way Brady and the Patriots keep assaulting these poor, helpless lads — detectives look for patterns. The ones from this nearly annual assault (Brady is 6-1 against the Steelers, including the playoffs) are always the same: Pittsburgh talks before the game, then cries after it.

“They clearly have no reason to be afraid of us, but neither do we,” Steelers safety Ryan Clark insisted this week.

Neither do we what? Have reason to be afraid of ourselves?

To their credit, the Steelers are 5-2 at the moment, but, to be fair, it’s one of the lamest 5-2 records imaginable. They haven’t beaten a team with a winning record. The two losses? Against the only two teams they’ve faced with winning records.

To their credit, the Steelers are allowing fewer passing yards than all but one team in pro football, but part of the reason why is they’re giving up nearly 45 more rushing yards per game than a year ago, so they might be wise not to be too encouraged by that Sunday.

To their credit, the Steelers have allowed only 14 pass plays of 20 yards or more, but then again, four of them came last weekend against the Arizona Cardinals, who happen to be the only team they’ve played that can throw the ball across the living room.

So what, exactly, do we have in this year’s Pittsburgh Steelers?

They sound kind of familiar, to tell you the truth.

“If I knew the reason why they’ve beaten us more than we’ve beaten them we wouldn’t have that problem anymore,” Hampton opined. “Just got to go out there and do what we do.”

That’s what Tom Brady [stats] is hoping for.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/foot ... articleFull

:thumbsup:

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We cahn throw a wicked awesome pahty aftah we crush em.

3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    As much as I don't like the tone of his article, I have to agree with some of the stuff he said about Anthony Smith. I thought it was stupid when he said that before the game back then, and thinking back about it, it still irritates me, especially knowing how he got lit up in that game. Oh well, he's long gone now.

4. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I can see that but he was really set up by that reporter I think.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If the Steelers feel disrespected by this article, they can feel free to go out there and win. If they don't win against the Pats, they have no reason to complain about the article, since it's all true, again. That's the beauty of sports, you can shut the other team up simply by winning.

6. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    That's the Herald for you.

But then again, they have every right to talk and brag. If you throw out most of the first decade of this season's cheating, they've still owned us.

Part of that is due to our getting out-schemed. But dammit... we're gonna get that square peg into this round hole eventually. :banghead:

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who the hell is herald and why is he living in boston anyway? :scratch: :cool:

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I just can't believe they're dragging up Anthony Smith again. Anthony Smith, that huge beacon of leadership who all Steelers rallied around, and obviously spoke in that capacity.

(My recollection was that he said we were going to win, and someone asked him if he could guarantee that. What's he meant to say? "We're going to win, but I'm not sure if we will"?)

And now they're saying that Casey Hampton is shooting his mouth off because he isn't afraid of the Pats. Again - what's he meant to say? That he's terrified?

In terms of the general point of the article - yeah, it could well be said that we don't change our tune enough when it comes to the Pats. But tactics and execution is different to all the pre-match nonsense.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
  12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Forgive me. Maybe I'm in a bad mood today. But as clever as that vid is, I'm not buying it.

1 game in the last 7, and years ago for that matter, we had a good defensive showing against them. They. Have. Owned. Us.

This just seems silly. If a Browns fan made a vid like that about the Steelers, we'd laugh at them until we were blue in the face. Let's actually have a good game against them before we start shooting off.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Sure, the Patriots have had our number for the majority of our meetings in recent history. But honestly, who can't you say that about? The point I'd argue about your comparison is that the Steelers have had the #1 rated D (or in the top 5) for how many years? The Browns... :bscow: Just sayin'. :)

14. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt make the vid, just shared it

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am going to have to go with you on this one. The whole Anthony Smith quote was blown out of proportion. Much like what Woodley said about Flacco this year. If you are asked a question about whether your team is going to win or lose on Sunday i would hope that player would say yes, I mean who says nope don't have a chance.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I hate to say it, but where is the article WRONG. Yeah, he sound like a jerk and an *******, but where is it WRONG. Everyone on this board must admit at some point that everything he says about yardage and passing and everything else is SPOT ON. If we don't like it, we must prove it on Sunday.

What do we really know about who the Pats have played? Their opponents records aren't anything to write home about:

@Miami 0-6
    San Diego 4-2
    @Buffalo 4-2 L
    @Oakland 4-3
    Jets 4-3
    Dallas 3-3

The reality about the above though...we still have to BEAT them on Sunday.

17. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Patriots must think their wicked smaht.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, I know. :) I was just saying...

19. blackandbling36

blackandbling36 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just the facts ma'am, just the facts....

While I hate the Pats and anything associated with them, how can we argue with anything in the article? We can't. I was just talking to my brother about Anthony smith the other day...what a jack-a...
    Anywho...I'm just gonna say we win this 29-27...*gulp*!

20. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hard to argue with that article. Let's face it the truth hurts. Only way to turn it around is to beat the living sh** out of them this Sunday :herewego:

21. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    let's face it - would anyone be annoyed by an article in the PPG before a Ravens - Steelers game where the author was (more or less subtly) mocking the Ravens like that one does to the Steelers?
    (which was until week 1 this year about as an one-sided affaire as the Steelers - BradyPats games)

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

You can make that argument if you like but I'm not sure it's a good argument. Pats opponents are 19-19 this season. Steeler Opponents are 16-29. which is even less to write home about.

23. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not surprised by the article............it really is the typical tone from that publication, regardless of the topic.

It would be interesting to the spin of the 'after game' article - but the Steelers need to beat these guys first.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    where be this herald now? :shock: :cool:

25. shamyhay

shamyhay Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Even though we won today, they can still have there "better record in the regular season against them ", but we have won 2 super bowls since they won their last one, so they can suck it.