1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Position Needs Ranked

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Da Stellars, Mar 4, 2020.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The FS prospects just suck this year, tbh. I really can't find one I like. Burgess is the closest and he leaves me wanting more. The free agent crop is bad too.. I'm not expecting a pick until late, if at all, just for this reason. Some will say its because they already have one on the roster when really the selection is just poor.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    .... Welp!!!

Not happening now!

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The three they brought in this off-season were not on this roster last year when kam Kelly was here. Kam Kelly stunk. He was slow. Hes got nothing to do with the three guys they brought in this year. Why waste a draft pick, kid round of otherwise on this weak class of safeties. Why waste the pick before you see what you have? Bring some udfas in instead. Use the draft picks on more proven guys. Guys with higher upside for another position. This is one of the weakest safety classes I have seen.:cool:

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I do like Winfield and Davis but chances are they are probably gone. Obviously McKinney and Delpit are gone as well. Those are 4 good ones and all versatile. It still doesn’t change my contention that IF they are going to draft a S it needs to be a FS or don’t bother. I’m certainly not expecting them to draft one they don’t like just to draft the position. I think that’s what’s being lost on some.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree with both here. Its a weak class, especially if you're looking for FS. I don't know if Winfield's height would limit him at FS. I haven't seen a lot of Burgess, I will have to do some more watching. But yes, they need to acquire a FS candidate somewhere. Davis would prob. be the best.
    I bet they draft a S of some sort though, they will try to upgrade the depth at some point.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Thoughts on Dugger?
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kyle-dugger/Dau0G2jPJ8

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I haven't watched a lot of him or Jeremy Chinn tbh. I've been on the computer a lot this month so my data is used up LOL. So I haven't been watching youtube for game film. It sucks. I read some stuff on PFF that was not flattering though. If I find it, I'll post.

Anyway, I think I've been contradicting myself at times on the safety situation. So I'll just say....

1) We need to find a back up for FS
    2) The selection of free agents for free safeties is bad
    3) We could probably get one of the higher rated safeties at 49 in a weak safety class but imo I'd rather go offense
    4) We do not need any more SS
    5) We will draft a SS.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There is a lot of information on this safety group so you can do the looking. A true fs out of this draft is very hard to find. Even Winfield is said to be playing ss in the nfl. Davis the same way but will struggle at either spot because of his tackling. To be honest if you did say down the list, you may be able to find one that you could get as an udfa. Why waste the pick? :cool:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have been looking. There isn't one really. I agree, why waste the pick but who is our back up to TE34? They will draft a SS back up I bet. It's what they do nowadays. FS will go neglected for yet another year.

I screamed at you guys how I hated Mike Mitchell but they always seem to forget the position come draft time.. And I REALLY wanted Justin Simmons out of BC. But the fact is they will not draft one this year, not because they are ignoring it, but because the options are not viable imo.

They still need a back up to Edmunds, although he has proven to be a gamer his first two years. And 3 good safeties would be killer for this D.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Donald Coleman III Texas tech. Probably one of the true fs types. Led the nation in picks. Getting no love. UDFA most likely. The talk of Bryce hall possibly making the move to safety intrigues me. I know he's a good corner. Has the size. More of a two for one in a position that would not waste his skills either way.:cool::cool:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like Bryce Hall and you know MT does too.. Heady defender from Virginia, you damn well know he's on the radar. I would not mind him being added into the mix in the 3rd or 4th.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    @turtle We play a lot of 3 safety looks. I’m sure you don’t have to look hard to find flaws in anyone’s game. The draft is a crap shoot, there are no guarantees. So all you can go by is scouting and film. I’m not buying at all Winfield is only a SS or Davis can’t tackle. Especially when the scouting report says he’s a very good tackler and Winfield is touted for his versatility. Again you can find flaws in everyone. I guess it depends on how against a pick or player you are. You know who is heavily recruiting Winfield? Honey Badger. I guess he sees something good in his game but why should we believe him right?

I can’t understand how every mock or scouting report has Winfield and Davis being gone by the time we pick but if they somehow fall to us they’re a bad pick because they’re not good enough. So everyone else is wrong? Not wanting the position picked is different from just saying a player is no good and trying to find flaws to dismiss them as good players. Scouts get paid and have a lot more information to go on than we do. Yes they are wrong sometimes but like I said it’s a crap shoot. I don’t think that means we should ignore them and the film they used to base their thoughts on.
    I get everyone has strong opinions at draft time and they also latch on to players they have a fondness for but it s only right to try and be fair on other’s assessments of players.....jmo

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If they all say they will be gone by the time we pick, and you don't want a strong safety type again, why are you so obsessed with these two players? These so called mock experts and draft scouts also your this safety class as extremely weak especially at free safety. Which you are clambering that is what we need. Maybe you need to dig deeper on these guys. There are plenty of not convinced scouting out there that these guys have holes. Why is that different then what we already have on the roster going into camp. It's not like they are not aware of the problem. That's why they have brought three new players in. Will one more matter? Have they ever drafted one position 1-2 in any draft? Happy Easter by the way. :smiley1::cool:

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think there’s a small chance that either of them could be there. That being said they are both ranked in the top 5 of safeties. They have both played FS and played it well even if you don’t think so. I’m not obsessed with these two players I just think they are probably the most likely to be available. I would take McKinney and Delpit as well. They have holes? What player doesn’t have holes? You are talking about a pick in the back half of the 2nd round, not a top 10 pick. There’s gonna be holes. The film don’t lie. How else do scouts assess players? What we have in the roster are UDFAs that’s the difference. If we can count on UDFAs,why not build our whole roster with them? All of these top 4-5 rated safeties are also versatile players and not just FS. Considering we use a lot of 3 Safety looks we could use another one. I’m gonna agree to disagree because your mind is made up and so is mine....Happy Easter!!

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Even among bad players one could make a list, and the first 5 would be in the top 5. We have done quite well with udfas over the years. The draft, well that's a different story. :cool:

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm contradicting myself again...lol But is SS depth a need? Like I said above, who is behind TE34?

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Better question is who is behind either of them? The thing is ,I see at least a few potential back ups at SS. I don’t see any at FS and sorry I’m not buying into the scrap heap guys. It’s a completely different skill set. Not every OF is a CF....plain and simple. I’m thinking and hope they finally realize what a difference a true FS makes. For years they stuck their fingers in their ears and la,la,la’d the importance. Just like recently when they admitted they were evaluating CBS wrong for all these years. Maybe they put more of a emphasis on a ball hawk FS like Minkah....

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    They have been working with sutton and hilton at free safety for a couple of years now. If minka were to go down for a short while these guys know the defense in and out. Hilton did play fs in college so it's not foreign to him. Layne probably seeing the field more this year gives them guys that know the defense and can do different things. They are looking at Tanner Muse which has some safety ability but more as a LB and Austin Hall, which has some pretty impressive numbers. Somebody did their homework. Dangerfield, Allen and 3 other guys that have been brought in this off-season. So the cupboard is not bare. Just not what deal wants. I respect that but I don't think the steelers will leave themselves with nobody. With minka as our first round pick this year, I just don't see them using their 2nd and highest pick on another one from a weak class. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hilton isn't good in coverage, just saying.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nope none of those top guys are any good. Don’t let the fact that the top 4-5 will all probably be gone before we pick tell you otherwise. Right now Dangerfield is our back up SS on the depth chart. Marcus Allen back up FS which we know he’s not. After that we have a couple no name UDFAs I’ll say it again. With both JD and Allen on the roster we went with Kam Kelly....that should tell you something.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-lsu-s-john-battle/

one of the guys they brought in...

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks. I’ve read every scouting report I could find on all their back up S. He’s a SS all day,everyday. The only guy I saw with any hope actually listed as a FS was Tray Mathews. However they are all still UDFAs which make them extreme long shots. They have M Allen listed as a FS that’s telling me they didn’t learn much from the difference between Mitchell and Minkah or it’s the best they have. I’m not hung up on any one player like some think. Winfield and Davis are just the two who I feel we have a chance on and are actually very good looking prospects. Maybe it’s Jones TX later or someone else. My stance all along has been....find one. Chances are slim that guy is on the roster and I’ve seen the difference having a true FS makes.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020