1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

top 10 most valuable NFL franchises

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Sep 20, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    These list are bogus by the way. The factor in things like median income, real estate, etc. While I get that from a business perspective. They leave out important things like history, legacy, Championships, etc. A lot of those teams aren't worth more than the Steelers.

3. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Methodology: Forbes’ team values are enterprise values (equity plus net debt) based on the multiples of revenue of historical transactions as well as offers to buy and invest in teams currently on the table. The values are based on each team’s current stadium (with adjustments for pending new stadiums and renovations). Revenue and operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) are for the 2017 season, net of stadium debt service. Revenue from non-NFL events, like concerts and stadium tours, is included when such revenue is pocketed by the team owner or an entity the owner controls.

Seems like a pretty objective and reasonable way to value a business to me. How would you propose to assign value to things like "history" and "legacy"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    When the city,common wealth, and county pays for your stadium and property that you play in and run your business on. Your not really going to be high on this list. I really dislike Jerry Jones, but I do respect that the guy put $1 Billion of his own money to build his stadium. He didn't go out and hit the tax payers to keep their beloved football team and take their money. But of course the Rooney family doesn't have close to his coin, I think we all would be mightly surprised that Rooney's are actually probably well down the list of wealthiest NFL owners, they have many small minority owners of the Steelers, but everyone looks at the family as if they own the whole pie, the do not own the whole pie by a long shot.

Two past minority owners are actually NFL owners now. Tepper just bought the Panthers franchise, and Haslam bought the Browns many years back, they both were minority owners of the Steelers at one point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Not really. I'm suppose to believe teams that can't even sellout games are worth more than the Steelers? What does concerts and non NFL events got to with the NFL franchise? This is a list ranking the most lucrative stadiums.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

In a way, IT IS ranking the most lucrative stadiums. If you are going to sell your business, the price you get will depend on all on your revenue streams. Since a lot of football revenue in the NFL is shared in some form or fashion, the outside $ differentials your business and its value. Owning prime real estate, having a venue that brings in major concerts or Major bowl games matters, those checks clear too. You don't have to believe that teams that don't sellout their are worth more than the Steelers, but I don't doubt it for a second, if they have other valuable assets and commercial agreements.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course concerts matter. If the Steelers were sold tomorrow, how much would they sell for? What about all the other teams? That's how they are ranked and rightfully so. History and legacy don't count when it comes to selling a team.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Doesn't make sense to me if you are talking about the Steelers brand. History and legacy do matter. So if the Rooneys sold the team and somebody bought them and moved them somewhere else like the Chargers and Raiders. Same scenario with those other teams on the list.. You mean to tell me teams like the Redskins, Texans, and Eagles would do better than the Steelers? Steelers fans take over away games. If the Steelers home games were somewhere in Cali or midwest they would probably sell out better than Pittsburgh. Also, mind you when you buy and move a team the old stadium doesn't mean jack ****. So sorry no this doesn't add up to me. This is a list of most lucrative stadiums where NFL teams happen to play. Not the most lucrative NFL team/brand.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You understand that PGH is a small market compared to La, Dallas, San Fran, Chicago ETC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You need to take off the black and gold glasses to truly understand this. The history, like it or not, is irrelevant. If the Steelers were bought and moved, the history goes out the window, essentially a new franchise almost. This belief that everyone would go to the games because they were the Steelers is unfounded. They would change the name anyway. It would depend upon the regional support.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1