1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 CBs in the 2024 draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Decamerion Richardson the CB from Mississippi State just ran a 4.33 forty today and he is 6'2". Maybe someone to think about in round 3 if he lasts that long.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Mitchell (4.33) and Wiggins (4.29) just made some money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’ve seen a few articles and listened to a couple podcasts talking about the entire draft being top heavy. I can’t remember who it was, but they said a lot of the 5-7th round guys would be udfa in other years.

more on topic supposedly the Steelers have met with the top 5 cb’s at the combine. Whose top 5? No idea

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Quinyon Mitchell will probably go top 15, I would think he's CB #1.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Kyree Jackson 6'3 195lbs CB from Oregon, if the Steelers want to draft another big CB. DaQuan Hardy of Penn State is only 5'9, but he could be a late round guy at slot CB ran a 4.39.

7. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I think Mike Sainristil has the best overall combine. And he is comfortably a 2nd rd pick in my opinion.

Followed by Jarian Jones. The above 2 are solidly day 2 picks now. Hope we can get one of them.

My favorite corner Dwigth Mcglothern seems not to be a workout warrior. Outside of splits, he was average.

Generally speaking

Wiggins and Mitchell go 1 and 2 now...

We can get Kool Aid ( who's the smoothest operator in my opinion).

Then in the 2nd/3rd: Sainristil or Jarian Jones in the 3rd

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    We're kind of keeping it close to the vest. We interviewed all the top CBs except for Mitchell, and they met with him at the Senior Bowl. We interviewed all of the top WRs who could conceivably make it to our pick. I'm sure we'll go nuts interviewing first round O-line.
    Things we're not looking at? DE as we have good depth signed for years, TE, and apparently we interviewed exactly 0 qbs.

9. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    You trying to get on STD's good side?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I've seen Wiggins and Mitchell both mocked to the Steelers but neither one will slip to #20 now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I would for the mere fact CB’s our much harder to find in FA and alot more expensive than a Center.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I like:

1. Q. Mitchell
    2. T. Wiggins
    3. T. Arnold
    4. C. Dejean
    5. K. Ministry
    6. E. Rinkenstraw
    7. TJ Tampa
    8. K. Jackson
    9. K. Lassiter
    10. M Sanistril

With that being said I think there is a strong possibility the top four are off the board by 20. If any of the top 4 are there I think you have to take them. Dejean probably has the best chance of being there at 20.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We don't even know DeJean is going to play CB in the NFL, JPJ would be the better choice at #20.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The second round is too high for Sainristil, he's a slot CB, they need to find an outside CB early in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Went back and read that and it came out all wrong...

I was doing multiple things all at the same time. 1, I was commenting on who did well in the draft,. Where there stock was now and to the side I spliced who the Steelers could get into it.

Too many thoughts and too little organization.

Let me rephrase:

Rd1 top 15
    Wiggins, Mitchell,
    15-20
    Dejean

20 to 32
    Mckinstry, Terrion, Lassiter.

Based on that above rankings, I presumed our best bet was Mckinstry who got injured and therefore his stock will drop. But pound for pound he is the most technically sound CB in the draft.

Rd 2
    Lassiter,Tampa, are guaranteed. There are About 5-10 2nd/3rd rounders of those Sainristil and Jarian Jones did themselves the most favor. I think Sainristil is almost certainly a 2nd rounder now. And Jones is comfortably a day 2 pick.

Unrelatedly, I won't mind either if we still needed a CB at 84

Hope that clears things up. Also, if we take a 2nd corner, won't mind a flier on Mcglotherm

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats your opinion. DeJean is a transcending talent with instincts you can’t teach. He has great ball skills which Tomlin highly values and he has never actually played Safety so projecting him there is conjecture at this point. The guy has been highly productive in college why would you move him when he has proven himself already against high level competition? There are about five Centers in FA there aren’t that many CB’s in FA of quality. I think CB is the better draft pick this year. Worst case scenario you wait until the third or fourth and pick up Van Pran or Beau Limmer at Center. But at the end of the day if the top four CB’s are taken and JPJ is there at 20 then I agree with you. The question is are the Steelers as high on him as the fans are? I know they are pretty high on Frazier out of WV as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cam sutton, steve nelson, mike hilton, witherspoon, desmond king. just a few we got rid of only for them to play well for their new teams. we get patrick peterson. i know we need O-Linemen too and an ILB but i hope omar does better with the DB's than colbert did. desmond king never saw the field i don't believe. he played pretty well for the texans. witherspoon played well for the rams. nelson played well for the texans too. everyone of those players were in the playoffs except hilton this year and hilton was the two years prior. did we jettison these guys too soon?:cool:

18. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Help my memory.

We could re-sign either Hilton or Sutton, and kept Sutton. Then Sutton left for the Lions and more money after that?

I don’t remember anyone being a fan of, or even liking Nelson or Witherspoon when they were here.

I have no idea what happened with the Dez King situation.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

king didn't even see the field at all or very little. i believe for rush to be brought in he was cut. i thought they should have kept witherspoon around. he didn't cost a bunch, he also went on to play well last year. nelson and king played very well for the texans secondary. sutton had his moments with detroit but overall played well there. is it our ability to coach these guys here that's lacking? i thought our young secondary coach was an up and comer. why do these guys we jettison play well elsewhere? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Sutton is a good CB. He played well for us too. I think he is from Detroit and wanted to go maybe. Could just be we wouldn’t match the offer. Sutton wasn’t jettisoned.
    Nelson was a flag magnet here. He did not get a re-sign offer.
    I think Witherspoon had some nice games here too, just stayed on IR. Only played 13 games in 2 seasons.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

wasn't jettisoned but also wasn't aggressively attempted to keep around. same for hilton at the time. nelson and king both played pretty well for the texans. they had a pretty darn good secondary. witherspoon played as the rams top corner last year and played pretty good for them. we could have used these guys here but didn't seek to keep any of them. it was one of our weak points on defense. i have heard nothing about them trying to keep rowe either. he played pretty well here. we did keep pierre around which was a head scratcher to me. witherspoon would have been a better option i thought. king should have had more of a role as well. :cool:

22. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Sutton signed a 3yr deal with the Lions for $11M/year. We were never gonna offer that.
    It was keep Hilton or Sutton the year Hilton left. We kept Sutton.
    Sutton was a good CB for us. We offered, Lions offered more.

Witherspoon was let go because he never played. Wasn’t a contract thing.

Nelson may have played well for the Texans. I didn’t watch his games. He was less than good while here. As I said before, he was a flag magnet.

The secondary has been the weak spot for this team for close to a decade. I don’t think it’s been lack of effort. Just been a place where we have struggled.

JPJr, Rush, Trice may end up being a great trio. We’ll see.

23. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    If the tio 4 are gone by 20, then the Steelers are in great shape to get a T, or WR