1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Many Holes To Trade Up

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 8, 2022.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I wanted Dickerson.... he is at guard today but will be a center when Kelce hangs it up...IMO

And I was saying i could see both sides....all the late round guys still fit my goal...2 starters per draft

I picked 2 recent drafts... and to get the guys I mentioned (which were my picks not the Steelers) would not have cost every other pick so you would still have more..but theoretically

What if the Steelers took just
    BEN and Deangelo Hall

Vs
    Ben
    Coclough
    Starks
    Adibi
    Lacy
    Krancheck
    Caylor
    Taylor

By no means was I implying that anyone on uhg lists are or were a bust..... more like would you
    Trade a depth draft full of guys with solid careers.... for 2 guaranteed superstars

Like Shazier and Aaron Donald

Basically trade Tuiit, Dri Archer, M Bryant, McCullers and 4 other guys for Donald?

I'm OK with that.. but you better make the right choices... pick your guys and go get them

HACK

2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Would very much like to see us fix O-line and do so with some depth. Need receivers too. Go for QB next year and have O-line in place that will prevent a young QB from being destroyed in 2023. Yes, this means mailing it in this year, but we are only team in the division without a franchise QB. Going nowhere with Trubisky, token playoff team again at best. Perfect time to plan ahead, set up 2023 season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I might put money down that either Ickey or Charles could be in play. For whatever reason, the Panthers really keep entertaining that idea. That said, while it does seem silly on Rhule's part to draft one, Scott Fritterer might just overrule him on this one.

Remember that Scott Fritterer had worked in Seattle for an entire generation; this previous half gen looking at what Russel Wilson went through. While I can imagine he is not too keen on missing out on a QB, not protecting that investment is far more terrifying for him; doubly so seeing what Joe Burrow has had to go through for the past two seasons.

Now, if somehow, someway, Ickey falls to the Panthers at 6, all bets will be off QB wise. Ickey can not only man the blindside but also be a run grading force for Christian McCaffrey.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Howell could very well be another contingency option. Yes Corral also fits in here but Howell is younger and possess a better arm. Corral has superior mobility but Howell is mobile enough and, thanks to his arm, can perform more off script throws or create off script plays in greater frequency than Corral can.

However, I do not believe the Steelers would be selecting Howell at 20. Rather, what I can see is Colbert trading back into the first round to nab him later on. My question then becomes who is the 20th pick?! Now, Kevin Colbert has never done this; the Steelers having never done this.... ever. That being said, since 2019, Kevin Colbert has been going very much against the grain in terms of some of the moves he has made.

Who is to say he does not have one more big move left in him?! :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

why wouldn't they take him at 20? they took edmunds in the first. they took jarvis jones in the first. you don't think they would take a qb? now just because some draft niks have him falling off doesn't mean everybody does. howell as of last year was the prize. i like corral as well but i think kevin likes howell and has since last year. i don't think he would have a problem pulling the trigger at 20 anymore then he had pulling it on edmunds in the first. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tonka Smash

Tonka Smash Active Member

May 2, 2021
    This only works in hindsight. I’m sure there are plenty of your preferences over the last 20 years that wouldn’t have worked out as well. Plus you sacrifice depth and building out the roster. Plus there were already two starters in your example in Ben and Starks, and we won two Super Bowls with them. Did the other picks pan out? No, but at least you have multiple opportunities to find contributors.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Good point and shows we really have no idea whatvhe is thinking. Lol

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They have not Drafted a Qb in the 1st since Cam. They have kept trying 2 fix this with others leftovers. Something tells Me Pickett will Be their Man.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell I gave a small list of players We would not have got that Helped Us go 2 the SBs if We did it that way. Ike Taylor, L. Foote, AB, Chris Hope, and more are all players that Helped 2 reach a SB, and all were players drafted beyond the 2nd round. Not talking 2 You....Just using your post 2 jump off. :thumbs_up:

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

It's not hind sight at all...I named my top 2 guys in every scenario I listed.
    Would it be better to say this year Kyle Hamilton and Devon Lloyd
    Or
    Ekwonu and Jordan Davis

Maybe they are all busts... but if you told me they could grab any 2 of those 4 and call it a day...I would be interested to see their career vs the other 6 rounds of guys the steelers will choose

As I said..I can see both sides

The draft is a lottery ticket... so yes 8 tickets give you more chances than 2..... but if you pick the right #s, 2 is all you need.

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yupp and they have a owner whos impatient. They definitely will likely make some type of move. The smart thing would be for them to tank until next yr.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tanking ever is just about as far from smart as an idea could be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

So basically become the Pre Chuck Noll Steelers?! No thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I actually looked at the success rate of QB drafted over the last 25 years. Now what constitutes a "success" is somewhat subjective but it came down to 30% for first round QB, 20% for second round, 10% for third, and practically zero after that with a few notable exceptions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So we take one in each of the first 2 rounds for 2 years and we are set

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    why if you're team sucks and you need a QB? You're guaranteed picks in the NFL if you have the worst record. It isn't a lottery like the NBA.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    im talking about the panthers. not the steelers.....

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s not a video game

If you want to have a winning organization you do it all the time

Otherwise you are Cleveland

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because....name one time it's worked for a team.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner :this!:
    Lions, Jags, Browns, and Dolphins have had many a top draft pick. How's it doing for them.
    So Yes I'm agree with You :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Colts tanked for luck. I think the jags tanked for Lawrence.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    and we tank for russia

we're not tanking for Stroud, we're trading up for Stroud, there's a difference apart from the legal and the moral

• Like Like x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Once again I was talking about the panthers. Not he steelers. The steelers don't have what you will call a impatient owner.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So How did that workout for the Colts???
    I believe No SBs, and a Qb that retired really early.....So fail, and the Jags ....Well We shall have 2 see.:thumbs_up:

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    How was that a fail. They secured luck. No they didn't win a sb but that doesn't make it a fail. NY your logic everyone should just wait to the 6th round hoping to get a tom brady since he's won more sbs than anybody.

• Like Like x 1