1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Many Holes To Trade Up

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This would be the 1 scenario I could see unfolding.
    2 teams have realigned their resources to what might be a run at QB's.

Pittsburgh will not bat an eye at trading up, if the player they believe in is there.
    But I always forget to note: "and the price is right."
    Colbert and company will trade, but not just throw assets away.

I have every bit confidence that they have scouted everyone of the QB's in great detail and I am confident that they have also marked the value of a trade.

I worry about Kyle Hamilton (and I am a big time ND fan and loved what he did there)
    I think these agile TE's will blow him away.
    I see him more of a tweener LB.
    I'm certainly willing to eat some crow if I am wrong, it is a dish often served after the draft. :)
    I do like what Hamilton brings to the table. I guess I am really just on the fence with him. A lot of those mock's have him up there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You trade back....You would not trade away draft capital....You would move back 2 gain more draft capital. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's cool. :thumbs_up: You are missing some great football games, and future NFL stars.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True STD but in the Colbert era he has never traded back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This I understand. :thumbs_up: I just IMO thought it would be a great time 2 try it.
    That is unless the 1st guy they coveted looks like He's falling 2 them. If not .....(maybe) they could trade back in the 1st (if they can find a partner), and pick up more picks.
    Just a thought, but You are correct:thumbs_up:....I don't remember Colbert ever doing this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not true.

Kevin Colbert did it one time. Back in 2001, Pittsburgh had traded back the 16th overall pick to the Jets for the 19th overall pick. Casey Hampton was the selection that year.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Personally speaking, while I have my sig changed, that still does not deter me from believing that there will be a high stakes bidding war to nab Willis. All depends on what the Panthers do with the sixth overall pick. Do they stay put and select Willis..?? Do they nab Pickett instead?! Do they acquire Charles Cross; Offensive Tackle from Mississippi State? Very difficult to say at present as Matt Rhule is not just drafting for the future of the team... he is likely drafting for his job.

After Carolina's selection though is where the draft shall begin for the Steelers. Thing is... New Orleans, Atlanta and even Seattle stand in their way. Among the teams that would concern me if I am a Malik Willis fan... New Orleans is at the top. They have the firepower this draft to do it and I am certain that the Giants would be willing to entertain the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Since Rhule's job is likely on the line, I cannot see them taking Willis. and instead they'd be going for a QB more safer (Corral or Pickett), if QB is the direction they go, of course.

As for 20, I'd like us to either trade back for more capital or look at WR, S, or CB. Think we could get Ridder or Strong on Day 2. I'm fine with Trubinski for this season, and looking more to solidify depth at that position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I personally doubt that, at this point, Desmond Ridder is a Day Two Selection. Now granted, I do have him slotted going into the early portions of Round Two but, as seen too many times, teams will sike themselves into trading up for a player that they should not. New Orleans is likely to do that though I am unsure as to who they acquire. Remember that they have Jamies so they can wait for their guy to develop.

Who that is?!?!?..... That remains to be seen.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yea, I saw Steelers Depot tweet a PFF mock that had the Steelers taking Willis at #10. Blew my mind apart.

11. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I'd trade our 1st round pick for two 2nds (0ne now and one next year) and a 3rd. Obviously, unless Jameson Williams is there. Then maybe I won't :)

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    still think it's howell. he will sit behind trubisky and mason this year. we can consider him thurston howell the 3rd. next year he will fight for the starting spot with the other carolina qb since mason will be out of contract. just a hunch. :cool:

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

My money is on Howell or Ridder with an outside shot at Corral. I read somewhere that Colbert loves Howell, Tomlin loves Willis, and Hunt loves Ridder.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea i touched on that a while back. not the hunt ridder connection but colbert, howell and MT, willis. i agree about this. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I stand corrected. Forgot about the Hampton trade down. Now that was a positive! Big Snack...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would put some money on it that the Panthers take Pickett.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If I had 2 take one ( none in the 1st) Howell, and then Ridder. JMO

19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    We are lucky Willis will be long gone by the time we pick. He way overrated. played two top 25 teams and had zero passing tds and five picks. Did run for 4 tds but i dont want to have a running qb in todays nfl where there is a solid ceiling to the teams that use them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think it really just comes down to who you trade up for IMO

My personal philosophy is I want 2 starters per draft... any more than that is house money.....I honestly would be ok some years trading all my picks to get the 2 guys I covet

Tremaine Edmunds and Jessie Bates

Vs.

T Edmunds
    James Washington
    Mason Rudolph
    Chuks Okorafor
    Marcus Allen
    Jaylen Samuels
    Josh Frazier

The Steelers got a lot of snaps out of that draft so really just have to decide if you would be able to get FAs to replace WASHINGTON down

Najee Harris and Landon Dickerson

Vs

Najee
    Pat F
    K Green
    D Moore
    Buddy Johnson
    Loudermilk
    Roche
    Trey Norwood
    PH3

Again..a lot of quality...vs 2 possible 10 year starters

I see both sides of the coin

HACK

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would take that. Always room for another Big Snack lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would the Steelers want Dickerson? He had multiple knee injuries in college, and he's playing guard now not center, they did good in getting Najee, Freiermuth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I see 4 potential starters in that 2nd one, and in the 1st if they are not out of the league.....then they are all worth a pick.
    Also guys like AB, J. Hargrave, M. Wallace, E. Sanders, C. Hope, L. Foote, and Ike Taylor just 2 name a few.....would have never been drafted if We did it Your way.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Me on draft night if the Steelers trade up for a quarterback…:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1