1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Many Holes To Trade Up

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 8, 2022.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I know the articles are there for clickbait now, but one that particularly bothers me is the concept in trading up for a QB this year. It is mere speculation and I don't think it will happen, but unless it's 1 or 2 picks to jump ahead for little draft capital given up for Malik Willis I don't like the idea.

Why?. WR, safety, cornerback, Running Back, offensive and defensive line needs etc etc.

This draft has many deep positions. QB is one that has many hit or miss prospects and projects.

I don't think they will do this, but I find the speculation of mock drafts a bit annoying. They have 3 QBs that aren't all that great, but I honestly don't see a QB with much better upside coming out this year.

I also think Malik Willis will be off the board by pick 10 tops because someone will make the jump up if he falls imo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually hope We trade back....unless a couple of CBs fall 2 us.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    While I actually agree with you, I am afraid the Steelers even before the tragic circumstances that happened
    over the weekend were going to take a QB. I had them moving up in the 2nd to take Ridder/ Howell at the 40 mark.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Shouldn’t waste a pick on either one of them. They are both “good against college teams”. QB’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

isn't that all qb's in the draft since they don't play in the pro's yet? :shrug::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    after haskins death we may even take two now. one i expect will be an UDFA but still i could see two taken.

i still don't buy into all that many holes either. especially OL and DL. they have starters at all the spots. corner as well. maybe not the ones everybody wants but they may be fine with them. strong safety may be the only need really and even that spot has two players with experience.

we added gunner which can not only be a returner but can play wr. we also have several guys like miller and sims and white as well as bussey sitting in the wings.

we still have pierre and layne behind the starters at corner.

if tuitt does come back we don't have a lot of room for new players on the d-line. adams, alualu, cam, loudermilk, wormley and davis, then if tuitt comes back we are pretty full there.

with the addition of cole and daniels and okrafor re-signed we have depth and starters on the o-line.

i'm not seeing all these must fill spots. we could easily take best players available in this one past the qb spot and even there. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    who knows, maybe Haskins’ death will be what Tuitt needs to assess his life and realize he really does want to come back more. He has brothers on this team too and Haskins was another prime exaMple of how none of us are guaranteed tomorrow…

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Of course, but the what are the statistics on finding a starring QB after the first round..let alone all the 1st round busts. If there were draft picks to spare and all positions filled then it might be worth a pick, but this team does not have enough picks and needs quality help from.the first 3 rounds. Not necessarily starters, but depth and those that can get snaps.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t like the idea of trading up either. They did a good job filling the holes in free agency but there is a distinct lack of star quality at several important positions like OT, CB and even WR, Diontae is really good but imagine a legit WR1 on a rookie contract to go with him Pat Freirmuth and Chase and how much easier that makes life for the next QB. They have no starting SS right now either. Make no mistake, this is not a great roster by any means.

I don’t watch college ball and have no opinion of my own on any of the QB’s but the consensus among most analysts is that there are no stars in this draft, Willis has the highest ceiling but is a boom or bust player by all accounts. If they trade 2-3 high picks to go up and get him and he busts it’ll set them back years. I can see why they’d want to try but man, IDK

• Like Like x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How come You don't watch college football???
    Are You not able 2 get it???

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I respect your opinion Mac, but quality depth is needed. Cincy and KC blew us out.We have got to get close talent wise with not only these 2 but possibly 3-5 other AFC teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I seriously doubt that the team is going to trade up anyways. There will be too high and too immense a bidding war to acquire the likes of both Pickett and Willis within the top 10 picks; doubly so in Willis' case. Heck, even if Willis somehow, someway, slides out of the top 10, I seriously doubt the Steelers would elect to trade up for him as the Commanders would be the next likely candidate to nab him.

All the more reason that having Kyle Hamilton as a Top 30 Pre Draft Visit should have a lot more attention than others are giving it credit for. Truth be told, while I still believe he is the best player in the class, I will not be surprised if he falls out of the Top 10. Still unlikely the team trades up for him though although I would not be opposed to such an idea.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Isn't QB one of those positions you are talking about? Our starting LT was gotten in the 4th last year. Depth is and can be gotten in the later rounds as well if they are the right pick. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    after free agency we have upgraded a bunch compare to the team that got blown out by those two plus we will add in this draft and maybe even more free agency. Plus our qb won't be a statue. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Derain James fell all the way to 18, you never know with the safety position. It’s unlikely but possible that Hamilton is a realistic option

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mmhmm.

All it takes is a couple of teams to overthink the player and not look at what the players true abilities are. In addition, as asinine as this is going to sound, do not count out the likes of any of the big name CB prospect either minus the likes of Ahmad Gardner.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    You can usually tell who will make it at the next level. Didn’t really think i needed to explain that part.

18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    If they can get a #1 CB or WR at 1.20 I certainly won’t be complaining.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not really, there are busts all the time and guys that were not first rounders that turned out well above. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, but we only have 3 top 100 picks and our 4th is a comp at the end of that round. I just playing %. If indeed they are sold on a particular Qb in the 1st so be it, but even then you are betting on an arguable 50% success rate that he turns into even a decent starter. I understand it's all a crap shoot, but the success for at least rookies having meaningful contribution in snaps can be found in other positions., especially WR. Taking a Qb in the 2nd, who likely will sit all season, and historically has even a less percentile chance to ever be a good starter just makes little sense with the holes we have.

Last year our first 4 picks were starters. Greene obviously did not work, but I would argue for success we need about the same contribution from.this years rookies. Perhaps not as starters, but rotational wr, dl, s. Edge, and other depth. Some will undoubtedly be covered by possible late FA signings.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    With Simon and Avery added, I think we sit pretty good at the edge. DL as well especially with our addition of loudermilk after the first 3 rounds I might add. We have some rotational guys as well at wr. We have some very good depth at safety as well.:cool:

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Jameson Williams is possible though I personally doubt he will be in play despite the house being at Alabama's Pro Day. I still would not rule him out though pending what will happen with Diontae's contract as that is still to be determined.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    We can get it here in Ireland but I just never bothered to watch it. I don’t have the time to get hooked on a whole new league / sport.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    That makes sense to me. Most people that watch CFB are folks that attended the school they root for or there isn't an NFL team in their market. Personally, I think Soccer (football) has the best way to develop players via academies. There's far too much corruption and foul play in the cfb and hsfb ranks. Let the potential pro talent be developed at academies, and let student athletes be student athletes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Colbert has never traded down only up. This is not the year to trade away draft capital. Sit at 20 and take a need player. If there is a QB that they covet at 20 then draft him. We have 2 QB's on the roster. They will add another in FA and a camp arm.

• Like Like x 1