1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tone setters illadvised

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I've brought this up a plethora of times before (maybe only a few times in here): Whoever sets the tone of this team (I am pretty sure it usually starts at head coach i most instances) does a lousy job at it.

Staring with Ben stating "we want Jags again" and other similar statements, the "cocky" signals are just dumb. Think it if you wish (we don't want a team lacking confidence) but I detest that this team has this attitude of acting cocky far too often. And I believe Tomlin is the main source.

It is simply stupid. The Pats way is far more intelligent: never give the other team any extra motivation if you can help it. The only time I have ever heard the Pats screw this up was before they played the Giants in the Super Bowl, when Strahan predicted a 21-17 win, and Brady said, "They think they are going to hold this team to 17" and then laughed. Well, the laugh was on Brady.

From the opening drive, you could see the Jags were fighting harder and more motivated and the Steelers thought all they had to do was show up and collect the win.

The reporter said before the game that "Tomlin came in more relaxed and happy than he had at any time this season." They acted like that was a positive, and I immediately took it as a negative. Once again, MT was going to underestimate a weaker team with arrogance.

I hate that about these teams. None of the Parcells coaching trees/branches would ever make this error. Most times in sports, once a team underestimates an opponent, they can't change the tide fast enough during the game to win the game, and in this case, they could not overcome it either.

What a crying shame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You know, I mentioned something similar in a post a few weeks back (probably one of the many JH rants) - I asked why it was that "problem child" players go to NE and suddenly end up being productive and staying out of trouble. Someone blew it off by saying "it's probably because they have an iron regime up there..."

So? Right now I'd KILL for an iron regime. What's the argument against it? Are we friends with the players? Related to them? No. I don't care if the coach water boards our players pre-game or during halftime, just so long as they go out there and show some mental AND physical toughness and get the ****'n win when they should. And keep their mouths shut before and afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You couldn't post this in the other fire Tomlin threads :shrug:.

4. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Ben:

“I'll give you guys one guess who you think I want to play,” Roethlisberger said.

“Any game that we are going to play anybody is going to be a difficult opponent,” Roethlisberger said. “For me, personally, I'd love to prove that five interceptions wasn't me in that game.”

5. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The word that describes the team is arrogant. The team is a reflection of the head coach. Arrogant when he hasn’t proved anything other than being coach cliche and making sure the team is unprepared. His act has worn thin on many fans. The rest will come around soon enough.

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    This is the Rooneys so that soon enough isn't anytime soon.

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I meant the rest of the fans. The Rooney’s will never fire him. We are stuck with him and therefore screwed.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don't read that as arrogance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    LevBell.

Sit down man!

Be humble!

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's amazing that anyone can blame the players when the head coach is the one who talks this way. Of course the players are going to say this crap because the head coach is doing it too. The problems start at the top and need to be fixed at the top.

Tomlin needs to shut his mouth and lead by example, and anyone not following his lead needs to be benched or cut, including star players.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1