1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tommy Morrison dead at 44

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Ray D, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Tyson= bum......Nuff said...

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember, glad he won now but at the time, hated it.

It's a shame Tysons manager died, Cus D'Amato, the guy who discovered him and got him on the right track, if Tyson didn't spiral out of control after he died, could have been the greatest heavyweight ever, the guy was ferocious, absolutely devastating.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Definitely.

[video=youtube;uYZzMPsm6c4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZzMPsm6c4[/video]

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah D'Amato made him but he would have always had to have been one of those guys that you'd have to babysit. He really never had anyone to fight during his whole run. I would have like to have seen him fight some true competition before he got knocked out in Tokyo. I would have like to have seen him fight Lennox Lewis or Holyfield or Moorer in his hey day.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    lol, so funny, couldn't hit the guy! That whole bob and weaving thing, then he'd get in close and unload on you. IMO, and if I'm remembering correctly, he stopped doing that bobbing and weaving towards the end and was a big part of why he started losing.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and he got that from Joe Frazier. He would move his head constantly and set up that uppercut that would almost decapitate a man.

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Its a shame this got off Tommy and how GREAT Tyson was :lolol:...Lets remember Tommy....

Thank you sir!! Your fights will be remembered !!!!

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah we really need to start a "Man Mike Tyson was the most awesome boxer of all time and I love him and want to discuss him constantly on a Steelers fan site" thread. LOL.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Did he? That sounds kind of familiar, was that something Tyson ever said? Trying to remember who Tyson idolized, may have been Frazier. That was when boxing was awesome, great heavyweights, great fights, don't know if I even had a favorite, liked Frazier, Ali and Foreman.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Tyson was a huge boxing historian and he mimicked Liston, Frazier, Patterson, and Louis. He used to watch Jack Dempsey fights constantly. I also LOVE old school boxing! I've watched the Rumble in the Jungle probably 20 times. I also love the Ali/Wepner fight. It wasn't historically significant from a boxing standpoint but it spawned Rocky which is one of my favorite franchises ever. If you've never seen We Were Kings I HIGHLY recommend it!

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, thats right, I do remember something about that with Tyson. No, haven't seen that movie, have to check it out. I liked Cinderella Man, how can you not root for a guy like Braddock. These days though, I don't even know who is boxing anymore, stopped following it, no one compelling to watch.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah Cinderella man is GREAT. We Were Kings is a documentary about the buildup to the Rumble in the Jungle and it's really awesome. It's got a lot of backstage footage and behind the scenes stuff and shows what a culturally significant event it was. I've watched it a few times. It's about 14 or 15 years old I suppose.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I watched a doc once about the Joe Louis-Max Schmelling fight on like pbs or something and it was really good. It was talking about how Schmelling was literally crying out in pain with every punch that Louis was hitting him with. Boxing was ok during the Oscar De La Hoya days but it's never got back to where it was in the 70s and 80s really.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll look it up, I like that kind of stuff :thumbs_up:

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It's on Neflix. Dang it I just checked and it's actually not on there anymore. The actual name is When We Were Kings.

16. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_iiX1HepM
    Went something like this BF LOL.. Not as bad but I was 17 at the time. My girlfriend was scared to death. He was not a nice guy to say the least.

17. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Holyfield destroyed Tyson at the '88 Olympic trials...

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    88??? I've never heard about that as far as I know. I think the rules are quite a bit different though aren't they?

19. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I watched it on TV live and was rooting for Tyson. The rules are different but Holyfield also beat him twice when they were pro's and even lost half of an ear in the process..

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah but I think of the "REAL" Tyson as PRE Douglas. Once he was asked after one of his many "comeback" fights if he thought this was the end of his career and he said "my career ended in Tokyo'. But in a way the Tyson that was pre Douglas wasn't the real Tyson. He had built this persona that he was invincible but once he got exposed it was like it all was downhill from there. It's the classic bully story ya know? After he got KO'd he then started saying all that crazy stuff about Lennox Lewis and fighting dirty against Holyfield and telling another fighter's manager who was complimenting his fighter that he was "gonna get him killed" and then got his butt kicked by that very same guy. Ali is awesome to me because when he lost he would go back and avenge that loss. Tyson didn't do that. I still loved watching him in his hey day though.

21. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I remember thinking Michael Spinks had a shot. Boy was I wrong LOL.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah! BIG TIME! Who was it that Tyson hit so hard that he actually went vertical and his feet came down OUTSIDE the ropes and his jaw looked like it was on TOP of his head! LOL. Maybe it was Tucker but I don't think that's right. He was some up and coming bum but it was still a VICIOUS hit!