1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's time management

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MikeTomlinsHamstring, Dec 11, 2017.

1. MikeTomlinsHamstring

MikeTomlinsHamstring New Member

Dec 8, 2017
    There should've been no time on the clock when Boz kicked that FG at the end. This MUST be improved. It's so frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Terrible decision for that situation

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, that was definitely not handled well. I'm just glad it didn't come back to bite them.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The ravens still had 3 timeouts after The last reception by Brown. We could have run 3 straight times and there still would have been time left on the clock.

If you want to complain about clock management look at the ravens. Collins was averaging 5.8 yards per carry. If nothing else running it 3 times there would have forced us to use all 3 of our timeouts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. I put the onus of that on Haley but Tomlin needs to step in there and tell him you do anything but run it , my boot goes up your ass.

It was like watching Atlanta SB part two.

Need. To. Be. Smarter.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Honestly, Ben drives me crazy watching his no-huddle, down by 2 scores..... so much time runs off the clock by the time he's ready. But to his credit, it worked this time, but it's still enough to drive me stir crazy. All it really took was one first down by Baltimore and we would have been toast.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That is just, point-blank freakin' awful. Good god. :facepalm:

I can understand high school and college football teams giving up that much YPC, but a professional football team? WTF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Didn't surprise me at all. Collins has been very good for the ravens this year and we are hurting on defense. Hopefully Spence gets acclimated to actual game speed over the course of this week. If not we are in serious trouble.

I'm still waiting for the offense to play a complete game. We play a lousy first half and follow it up with a great second half. Last night we did the opposite and got extremely lucky on the ravens' possession that started around 3:30 remaining.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I wouldn't put a lot of hope in spence because as bad as the colts defense is this year he never played in a single game, but instead was cut, he wont get up to speed anytime soon, why we even signed him I dont have a clue, he had 1 tackle last night and looked lost to me:

Colts released ILB Sean Spence.
    It's the second time in 31 days Spence has been cut. It could be for good this time. The sixth-year pro couldn't get on the field for the Colts' woeful defense. Oct 3 - 1:49 PM

13. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ravens only had 2 timeouts on that last drive. They used one and I thought on 2nd down, the Steelers would run the ball to force them to use their last one. That would have give the Steelers one more down to kill the clock to under 10 secs.

It sucks because I couldn't enjoy the amazing kick Boswell made. He killed that kick. It looked like he could have made it from 60.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It was a terrible decision, no doubt.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought they only had two timeouts at that point. They used one earlier when our offense was on the goal line.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Should have been 2 runs to Bell, but maybe wasn't Tomlin's fault ... maybe Ben called his own number and wanted the ball in his hands???

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense scored 39 points against one of the better defenses in the NFL last night. That was with at least two drives ending on plays that could have easily been called pass interference.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know it's not gonna be a popular opinion and I am super critical about these things usually but....
    My thoughts are...I know Boz has been money but you guys are acting like it was a chip shot FG only his remarkable success kicking at Heinz has made a 46 yd FG seem like the norm...
    Running Bell into the teeth of their D wasn't going to net us much and with his style a probability we may lose 1or 2 yds. Ben was on fire and the OL was holding up very well. Another first down and the kick becomes much easier and you can then definitely control the clock down to a few seconds. If it was a tie game I would say run and make them use the TOs but if he misses ....we lose....that's my take.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Tomlin at his finest. Nothing new here with his time management skills...or better said...lack thereof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Those 2 last throwing plays had Ben written all over it and you know it. Haley would've called for 2 running plays.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure about the number of timeouts but the Steelers could have made them burn them all by running the ball. 40 seconds with no timeouts is a huge difference.

The injury time out they were forced to take helped a lot. Got lucky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :facepalm:

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That was Ben's and Tomlin's clock management joining forces. Both are morons when it comes to it. Steelers down 2 scores and Ben is taking his time with only 4 mins left In the game. It's a miracle that they won.

24. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was watching the game with some Steelers buddies and there was 3 minutes or so left and my buddy said they need to take a time out. I said no way. plenty of time, let the clock run.
    So did you want Ben to hurry up and leave more time on the clock or did you want them to leave no time for the Ravens?
    Seems like you're just looking for some reason to complain about Ben and Tomlin?

• Agree Agree x 1