1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's Seat

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Simple question: When does Tomlin get put on the hot seat? I am assuming he secured himself for next season.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's not going anywhere, although I happen to think he's a terrible coach who should have been fired years ago. Give Belichek the reigns to the Steelers organization and we win the SB this year

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    With stability that the Rooney's like to have, I expect that he'll be safe until some consecutive losing seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Simple question or serious question? You meant green font right?

I don't love Tomlin, really not a fan actually. But in his 10? seasons we've had 2 superbowl trips, 4 afccgs, and no losing seasons. I'm embarrassed about tonight, but most of us didn't see us getting this far for most of the season. We had some critical injuries and suspensions and very green players on defense and receiving core.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    There's Belichick, and there's everyone else. Tomlin is just one of many

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    His seat isn't even remotely warm.

I'd imagine it would take a couple of sub .500 seasons for them to part ways with him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    When we have three consecutive seasons picking top 10 in the draft. U til then, he's our coach until he retires. Cripes, people want the coach fired after losing the conference championships. Can you say spoiled?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Has a coach that's won 9 straight and got to the AFC Championship game ever been on the hot seat? Especially a coach that's been to 2 SBs? Not your best question. He'll retire the Steelers coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If he obtains consecutive losing seasons then he is out.

Until then, his seat is like the Vancouver weather; sub zero... literally.

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd imagine that his butt is pretty much constantly numb from the cold.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I choose not to play for a participation trophy. Belichek gets rid of guys like Randy Moss, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Rodney Harrison, Junior Seau, Aaron Hernandez, Gronkowski (Injury) and still keeps winning.

I'm sorry, but if you don't think that's coaching then you're absolutely out to lunch. The guy can trade away his best LB'er this year and has a better defence without him than with him. He doesn't try to make a player adjust to a system he can't or doesn't want to play within, he simply cuts bait and wins with the players he has. That's 100% coaching.

We don't have that, period. Tomlin would still be trying to force Collins to play in a system he either doesn't want to or can't fit into and the team would suffer as a result

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
  12. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011

This will never happen. The GM provides him with so much talent. We'll continue to be just good enough. When good enough is good enough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Hopefully we take a db that specializes in playing soft zone...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He'll be here forever, which makes me sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    When he let a deep pass get called on 3td and 1 on that first drive, I knew it was over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    It's about f-ing time someone tells it like it is!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing that Bill does better than anyone is finds guys that can play HIS scheme and when they so much as even think about freelancing or not doing exactly as they are told or even lose a fraction of a step they are gone. Period. He has no sentiment for his players whatsoever. Do you honestly think Bill would have kept Da Beard around all those years? Troy when he obviously lost a step? Even James Harrison would have probably been gone if he were Bill's guy. Tomlin seems to like having a certain veteran presence. Bill just likes to have robots that will do exactly as commanded at all times. He only wants guys that are "all in". I think this is what separates him from the pack.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I think it's more than just a winning record. If he misses the playoffs for 3 consecutive seasons with a high level of talent - then I'd have to question the Rooneys' commitment to MT.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He sits on a throne of ice. The cup holder will keep drinks cool naturally for years to come I imagine.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Precisely. Don't think for an instant that if Brady weren't a good fit that he wouldn't have been gone after his first season. BB is a system coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Closest precedent may be Andy Reid in Philly. Of course he had more control that just head coach

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We just had a 9 game winning streak and made the championship game. You know the answer to your question already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Like Bear Bryant Said, "I'll beat you with my players today, and beat you with your players tomorrow".

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The most shocking fire I remember is Marty Schotenhiemer. Fired after losing championship game. 14-2 record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    True but Schottenheimer never sniffed the SB much less won one. He was 6-13 in the postseason. Choked more often than not.