1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's role during games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bobtx2us, Oct 17, 2011.

1. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I might as well get this out of my system too: why can't Tomlin influence games as they unfold? He stands on the sideline like a statue [looking heroic] & never seems to interact with coaches or players. Is conducting the post-game press conference all he's supposed to do? He should take ultimate responsibility for the play & personnel selection at crucial points - like 3 & 2 when we need to move the chains to sustain a drive.

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Without watching a constant video stream, how do we know exactly what he is doing? Is this just an assumption? They showed him speaking to the defense prior to the last drive. Perhaps he is doing more than we realize. Say he were to be saying more to his players. Just because he says, "make a good tackle," "hold your blocks," "play clean, no penalties," most likely isn't going to change the execution of the plays by the players. I'm sure they know how to tackle, block, play within the rules, etc. So, what exactly do you want him to say? (The obvious answer of course would be "no," to whenever BA speaks)

3. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess I missed his session with the defence. BA is the person who should be on a short leash. lol.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The fact is I just don't really know how much or how little he's actively managing games during game time. It seems to me that this season he's more animated/talkative during games, but that may just be a case of me noticing it more. I like Tomlin's demeanor during games, though. He's a gentleman and doesn't go flying off the handle if a player makes a mistake. I see him saying things like 'you know what you did, right?'.

:lolol:

5. BFreeZ28

BFreeZ28 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I wish he would have said something/made changes during the second half yesterday!
    How demoralizing would it have been to lose a 17 point lead AND the game to the Jags!!!!!!
    UGH!
    :eek:

6. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There have been a couple of videos with Tomlin miked up, and he seems to be responsible for player motivation on the sidelines. It was heavily edited, though, so there may be more to it than that.

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he's more involved than people realize. I don't think he calls plays or speaks to player's unless he's encouraging them or teaching them. I do, however, think that he makes statements like, "we need to run clock" to Arians or "we need a 3 and out" to LeBeau. Just my guess.

8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He gave free range to lebaeu and arians,so you got to take the good with the bad.I don't even think he attend the meetings with off. or def.Because he doesn't have the ability to change personnel or change flow of game.Thats why we see no adjustments after halftime or during the game.

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember watching Chuck Noll looking pretty much the same way on the sidelines during games in the 70's and like Tomlin he was a big believer in delegating responsibility and gave free reign to his coordinators when it came to the game plan, play calling, etc. If the Steelers were up by 10 or down by 20 Noll's approach / involvement didn't seem to change much at all and in the end things seemed to work out okay so I don't see a problem with what Tomlin's doing.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Most of the old school coaches had that calm demeanor. That "cool."

Coaches being always fired up, and ranting and raving with their players, to my recollection, is a relatively new thing (90s and forward). I loved Cowher being like that, but I don't think it's a necessity. Usually, the calm and strong front is more effective. I suppose if you're younger, and weren't watching football prior to the 90s, it may seem odd.

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I saw clips of that too, one of the clips he was giving Ben crap for taking too many hits. He said if he takes anymore he would bench him for the rest of the game. He was also giving it to Pouncey for something about the game clock is running.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    What does any boss do. Micro manage .. j/k

I think there is more to Tomlin that what it appears he does. He has a hard job of getting personnel ready week in and week out and keeping a fairly large contingent of coaches in line. I am sure he puts in a full 40 hour work week :o

Bman

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Precisely what I was thinking when I read the comments about us not making adjustments. With the injuries mounting its very difficult to make adjustments. i.e. Hoke out with a stinger. I noticed a change in the run game immediately with the third NT in the game.

BMan

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Good point. If some think Tomlin doesn't show enough emotion I'd ask them to go back in time and check out Tom Landry on the sidelines. Now there was a stoic figure if I've ever seen one LOL

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't care if he follows this Tony Dungy/zen philosophy thing he has got going but I would like to see him more involved in the game whether that is showing the defense something that they may not be seeing or talking to Ben about what he wants to do on a drive or just showing the snap shots to guys and going this is whats happening. The whole hands off approach just seems to be out of place. He doesn't have to be in your face charge'em up as Cowher was but i would like to see some tell tale sign that he is involved in the game.