1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlins End Of Year Presser

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Nothing very revealing. I think Bush is gone reading between the lines. Game script is an excuse for the lack of playing time. If Bush were playing at a high level, he’d be on the field regardless.

Will Jackson he has zero interest in, I’m guessing Will didn’t work hard and won’t be back.

He’s very defensive of Pickens, thinks he is misunderstood, has had some labels attached to him that aren’t accurate and more mature than perceived. That’s good to hear because there were some games there I was concerned with.

• Like Like x 5
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Tomlin really thought everything would work out and he be game planning a playoff game.

One more win on the year and they would of been in it. ( Early home loss to Jets and Pats haunted us bad or just a general 0-4 against the AFC East)

But reading between the lines of the press conference. I don't expect a move on from Matt Canada.

Its either gonna progress or be more of the same. I feel the Steelers can become more balanced offensively. The more ways you can beat a team the better.

I often wonder how many more years guys like Danny Smith and John Mitchell coach they aren't young guys.

I would think Flores will be at a minimum a Def. Coord again some where. So adding a Linebackers coach will probably happen.

As far as FA I would like to see back... Edmunds, Cam Sutton, Larry O. Zach Gentry, maybe Spillane. It be nice to nail down Highsmith long term. Having another 4-5 years of him and TJ together would be nice. Like to see Kazee on a short term if possible.

Not gonna happen for all these guys. Can see teams over paying for Edmunds, Sutton and Larry O.

I'd let Bush go. Derek Watt I wouldn't bring back unless its cheap 1 year deal
    and as much as everyone dislikes him Mason Rudolph will be a #2 on a roster next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    One good thing was Tomlin explaining why Cam is Cam in regards to his comments about not knowing if the team wants him back. I know that has happened to other aging vets, but Cam has not reached that point yet. Tomlin said something along the lines of that is what makes him Cam and he's one of the guys who puts his name across his helmet meaning everyone knows and wants Cam back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I didn’t like what he said about Canada either but he didn’t exactly endorse him either. Saying Canada got better and that he was encouraged by what he saw is just not good enough reason for me to keep him around if you want to take the next step with this offense and compete with the likes of the Chiefs,Bills, and Bengals in the AFC. Tomlin said they aren’t interested in keeping up with the Joneses either and moving fast in this process. Well you better do that if you wanna get the right candidate in here and improve this offense. There is no reason to wait around here another week or two when it comes to keeping Canada around. He should be gone by the end of this week and if he isn’t and Tomlin still keeps him around then absolutely nothing will change next season.

One more thing I didn’t like Tomlin’s comments about the Steelers doing business the right way and acting like they do it better then anybody else in the league. Well newsflash Mike you haven’t won a playoff game in 6 years now and have missed the playoffs in 3 of the last 5 seasons and got blown out twice at home by the Jags and Browns and at KC your last 3 playoff games. So not what sure what Tomlin is thinking and talking about here. At some point non losing season or not Tomlin has to be held accountable for this team not winning playoff games. How much longer will this be allowed to continue without anything significant happening to Tomlin??

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018

Translation Welcome Back Matt Canada

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Trade up to draft a guy then game plan him outta the lineup. Makes sense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    With a little luck next season, the Jets will secure that win for him.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why would anybody overpay for Edmunds? He did nothing this year that he didn't do in 2021, and nobody else wanted him after that season.

Ogunjobi battled injuries all season, which was the concern that allowed the Steelers to get him in the first place. Of course he's gone if he gets a big offer, but I'm not sure that is coming.

Sutton is the one I'm worried about. They need him, but he showed enough to get paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Canada back, Flores, bush, mason and Jackson gone

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I didn't watch his presser and his chorus of um's and cliche's. He is unnerving to listen to. Saw enough stories though.

Canada might be retained in which I think is a mistake. And they need to move on from Bubble Yum as well.

Flores is not the linebackers coach just a defensive consultant. I believe he was brought in to get the fashion plate up to speed. Fail. But personally I feel that no one can reach him. Can't wait to see that scrub out of Pittsburgh.

Will Jackson III :lolol: Tomlin wanted him, he got drafted before us at 24 to the bungles and then they took Artie "Toast" Burns at 25. Jackson III came in with major back issues.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Flores is listed as a defensive assistant/linebackers coach, so no, he is not just a consultant.

12. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    That’s a great question how many years will he have to go without a playoff win before he is held accountable? 10 years? 15 years??

13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And if he wins a playoff game then you’ll just move the target. Then it’ll be. “ Big deal he won one playoff game” Guys like you are never happy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    First step of correcting a mistake is to acknowledge the mistake

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd be happy with MT winning a playoff game. Been a minute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don't know about 5 more years of TJ. He will be 29 in October. His speed and motor are a big part of his game and that starts to go after 30.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He needs the experience again, it's just a faded memory at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Thought we hashed things out but you just can’t stop with the D Bag “guys like you” crap

F off