1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's Coaching Tree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think the lack of a coaching tree is a valid concern. None of the guys being promoted to coordinator positions are good enough to be plucked away. The lack of a quality staff this far into Tomlin's regime is a valid criticism of Tomlims ability to hire coaches. Name a coordinator that wasn't fired or forced into retirement. At some point this fact has to put Tomlin on the hot seat. Combine this with his playoff record since since 2010 and yea, it's time to part ways with Tomlin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    87 coaches to watch next year for coaching positions, and not a 1 on the Steelers roster

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    How many of our coaches are young up and coming coaches versus established? It actually makes a difference. Of course the details don’t matter to the torch and pitchfork crowd. Just something else to ***** and moan about

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's a valid concern tho. Only Butler was a coach that other teams sought after to make a coordinator. Tomlin has had an inability to spot up and comers as position coaches. Name a coach that has been taken from the Steelers to progress their career. The OL coach that was snagged by Oregon, for the same position, was likely going to be fired, so that's not exactly a striking endorsement of Steelers progress.

Tell me how the pitchforks aren't valid?

5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Inability or lack of desire to hire up and comers? He even talked that wr coach out of retirement. It seems to me he’s more interested in coaches with established records than unproven talent

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    And those with such established records have been failures here. Only 1 coach can claim they had success under Tomlin's tenure and that's Munch. The rest has been fired or retired; none been promoted. That's in Tomlin.

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    richard mann retired on his own again and had success. Drake died. Austin has been successful given the circumstances. Look at how our interceptions have gone up since he came here. Arians probably shouldn’t have been fired despite the claims from the t and p crowd. You do you. Enjoy your doom and gloom.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's not doom and gloom. Show me a single coach that was valued by other organizations. Was Joey Porter valued? Is Mike Sullivan currently valued?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Tomlin had success when his assistants were decent. Tomlin himself was pretty below average as Defensive Coordinator at Minnesota. He’s a rah rah guy. Without a hall of fame qb, he’s not making playoffs ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    There’s a whole list of them in the other coaching tree thread. Or maybe it’s earlier in this thread. Seriously what does a coaching tree do? Anything? Belichek is arguably the best coach in nfl history and how many rings are hanging from his tree?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I guess he has had " up and coming coaches" for years now:shrug:... Your right c it doesn't matter cause some on here thinks Tomlin is the second coming...:roflmao:

12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Your football fandom must be new.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    5C3CF13B-F4C1-433C-BB9C-F6F09423520F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Right

if it’s so important why isn’t Belichek’s tree full of rings? Are you going to try and claim he isn’t a great coach?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  15. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Coaching tree can include players who became coaches

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Are people still arguing Mike Tomlin is a good coach? :roflmao:

I swear it could be 20 years from now, he could have 0 additional playoff wins, JEH would be 214 years old and we would still be arguing this.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will only say this once again....the only people from a coaching tree that matters..... are the ones that actually do something.
    All its actually proves is the people making those decisions are pretty stupid.
    THEM:Hey Bill has a great coaching tree, but none have done anything after leaving except get fired....ah Hell let's get another one anyway.....Sounds pretty freaking stupid.
    Now comeback with people that have actually worked out from a coaching tree, and those I will be impressed with.

I know someone will say ....Well Your missing the point....No.....I believe You are.....Why should I care about what people think that are clearly choosing the wrong guys????
    Again the only ones that should matter are the successful ones.
    Comeback with those, and then You have a point.....unless the point is....dumb GMs are not paying attention to our coaches. :shrug:
    I know this will be way too long for some of You .
    LoL

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Have you guys looked up the "trees" from, arguably, the 2 best coaches? Lombardi produced Forrest Gregg who had a couple of good years with the Bengals and (bad word) Lebeau who did nothing as a head coach. Great coordinator.
    Bill Bellychuck has Mike Vrabel, who's still a work in progress. The others have crashed and burned at the pro level.

19. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I think comparing a coordinator who gets promoted by another team is not the proper criteria for judging HC's ability to make a winning team. As you say, all that says is how stupid other GMs are.

The proper metric of whether a HC is good judge of coordinator talent isn't if the coordinator becomes a HC somewhere else. The proper metric is if a coordinator can be hired as a coordinator by another team.

So how many of the coordinators Tomlin hired would/will be hired by other NFL teams to do the same job? I can think of Haley.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Belichek had what a dozen guys hired to nfl or college gigs... that means his staff is at least wanted and looked upon as solid coordinators. Tomlin's guys either been forced to retire or Bern fired. What Belicheks guys done after being hired is beyond the point. Tomlin has What 3 playoff wins since 2010... come on brah.

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    JEH is currently 194 years old?! :eek::eek::eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand what you’re saying, but I think you’re looking at it the wrong way (in other words missing the point, lol). A head coach’s coaching tree shouldn’t be judged by the amount of success his coaches have once they get an opportunity to become a head coach but rather that they got the opportunity to become a head coach to begin with. It shows that the rest of the league highly esteemed the assistant coaches who worked under Belichick and wanted to try to tap into the success that the Patriots have as an organization with BB at the helm. It shows that there’s a lot of respect in NFL circles for the Patriots coaching philosophy. You are correct that those who have been chosen have produced a somewhat mixed bag of results, but they got the opportunity because of the success of BB and the respect the rest of the league has for his way of doing things. Tomlin’s assistants, on the other hand, have generally received zero interest from around the league and I think that’s telling.

• Like Like x 2
  23. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    No
    Dj lied about his age to be nice

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Personally, I could careless about a coaching tree. I just want Tomlin to be an average coach.

It’s impossible to tell how good a coach really is. But some things are very telling 1) DB coach who hasn’t drafted and developed 1 pro bowl corner his whole tenure. 2) Secondary has held this team back majority of his tenure. 3) Coaching tree.

These points cannot be argued or denied.

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Coming from the guy that doesn’t know it’s “couldn’t care less”.