1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's Coaching Tree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Oct 11, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah don't pay attention to the Chevy/ Ford analogy.....I truly don't know what I was getting at with that....LoL....I'm not exactly clear headed right now. LoL.....now the one after that.....I'm serious about. LoL

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If it makes you guys feel better I am working on my own intoxication right now as well.

Let's continue this conversation and then re-read tomorrow and see if any of us made sense. :lolol:

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do see Your point....I promise I do, but even back then....I thought it was dumb, and would say....How many of these guys(coaches)are they going to steal from us....before they realize it's Cowher. Now His OCs, and DCs made good OCs, and DCs elsewhere, but never good Head coaches.
    Anyway.....I just think it's a poor way of judging a Coach by the stupid decision of others hiring His coaches. That's all. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Agree totally. But like I said, and you. It was Cowher. Stupid teams didn't realize that. No one wants a Tomlin guy. That's all I'm saying

I agree that these teams are dumb. No way Mangini should have ever been a HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I'm on my foruth shot of 100 proof borubon. I'm not going to makeit

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Are you trying to tell me matt canada will not be a nfl coach one day?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    HA!!!! he couldn't coacah a hgih scohol tgeam

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think you may be missing the point. It’s not necessarily who has gone on to have successful head coaching careers, but that other teams had enough respect for Belichick and the Patriots organization that they went after those coaches hoping to capture some of that magic. What happens once they get there is on them. The question then would be do other organizations not have enough respect for Tomlin and the coordinators and assistant coaches who have worked under him to go after them? It certainly doesn’t seem that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    ok good nigcht I appologiz eif i said anythting really bad to anyone. I'm wasted

• Like Like x 2
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I agree but take it a little further. NFL teams go after coaches that they have researched and have the qualities they feel would be assets to their franchise and win some games. You mention HC developing assistant coaches and that is part of it. How about how well the assistant coaches do in developing their players and manage the areas of the game they are responsible for, i.e. offense or defense or game plans and play calls? I look at it as you have to be a very good and competitive assistant coach to be considered for another teams HC position. So, why hasn't this team, under MT, had this happen? Hasn't any of our coaches been viewed as being good enough? Who's is responsible to hire coaches that can be developed for the next step? Would you retain coaches that are viewed as not good enough or have potential? How many times have you read about "Canada's Offense"? The way things are going, he won't be getting too many calls for HC openings. But if he did have a high-powered offense, I'd think he would hear from somebody. Seems that for a long time we've haven't had many assistant coaches' other teams are interested in. Could this be something that equates to on field performance of the coaches' players? To me, that is why a coaching tree means something. What happens at the next level is all in the hands of the new HC (former assistant coach) and not a reflection of their former boss. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Has BB won 3 playoff games in the last 12 years?

Asking for a friend.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    BB won't be winning many for the next decade without Brady :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We will have to see.
    He may come up with a more advanced way to cheat.:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you talking to yourself

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:
    You encapsulated Tomlin’s coaching ideology perfectly here. He’s a cheerleader. Bradshaw was right. He’s had some success based on his ability to spout lofty platitudes like the “standard is the standard” and “don’t blink” and some players respond to that. I think he is a coach players want to play for because he’ll dance with you in the locker room and have you over to his house for dinner. But he hasn’t built a solid legacy because of the overall ambiguity of his coaching philosophy. I’ve said it many times before, he’s playing checkers which gets you some wins when you’re going up against other checker players, but when he sits down in front of an expert chess player he’s always overmatched.

18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Saban?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I wonder how good chess grandmasters are at checkers. Probably get their asses handed to them by 8-year-olds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    So you think Tomlin would beat Belichick if they were coaching peewee football teams?

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Totally.

22. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019

You miss my entire point. The success they had after leaving belicheat is irrelevant and means nothing. The fact they were interviewed offered HC jobs is my point. None of MTs has been offered anything. I'm not throwing stones, I'm stating facts. I was a Tomlin supporter then I'd see things like game plans not changing if they weren't working, clock management and is absolute foot in the grave moment is Canada. This man had at one point 3 of the top position players in the game and what came of it. You wanna call him a legend and a great coach that's fine. I see a football team that has no clue what they are or what they want to do. They have no identity at all and it starts and ends with him..

23. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't know if I care about that stat.
    But it has been a while since they were robbed of guys like Ariens, Weisenhunt (though he's not really a Pittsburgh branch), etc...

I would like to see them change it up though. *cough* Canada..

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Is there a list of the coaching and GM candidates from this board that have gone on to success in the NFL? I mean with all of the expert opinions there has to be, right?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1