1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's Coaching Tree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Oct 11, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I never made such a claim.

2. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

You made the claim Tomlin’s assistants can’t even get interviews. Nobody wants them. That isn’t an opinion.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Okay. Who's BSing now? :lolol:

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    And I stand by that. I will ask for a 3rd time. Name me even one coach besides Munchak that has had a head coaching interview. No one was ever talking about assistant coaching interviews and you know it.

5. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Tomlin's coaching tree can best be compared to a Cleveland Browns fan's family tree. One branch.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Who is changing now? You went from interviews to now it’s only head coaching interviews. Is going from secondary coach to defensive coordinator a lateral move or is it a promotion?

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Im sorry I forgot Patricia’s 13-29-1 record as hc.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have said it before and I'll say it again in order to have a coaching tree you must have a tangible philosophy that you can give to your position coaches and then to the players. Tomlin has no overarching philosophy, nothing to pass on, nothing that other owners would look at and say that team is consistently good we should hire one of those guys as our new head coach. Each season for Tomlin is a clean slate with no attempts to build upon the previous seasons success.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Strummer I am on my way out the door. We can continue our debate at a later time.

PS. Where in this thread has anyone ever talked assistant coaching interviews? This whole thread has been about NFL head coaching tree. Being a defensive coach for another squad isn't much of a branch. Should we move on to water and towel boys?

10. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Because of Brady and a paid for title?? It wasnt for any other reason

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Mike Holmgren with Green Bay a lot of his assistants went on to become HC.

13. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    My take on the whole Tomlin thing is that his old school style is just not working anymore in today's NFL. It might be time to bring in some offensive minded head coach to lead this team to the promise land. Just my 2 worthless cents. Carry on.

14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    The fan boys are trying extra hard these days. Their hero has finally coming crashing back to earth after the HOF QB retired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought, that they would've promoted "the Wiz" as head coach. I thought that he would've done a better job with the talent that we had. But, we all know, that Tomlin has the gift of gab. And, the Rooney's, fell for it ... hook, line, and sinker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hear You....I promise....so after so many failures....who are the dumba$$es .....I would say the ones that keep hiring them. Also...like I said I only consider it a coaching tree if some of them have success....No???

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Then by that account what good is a coaching tree that every single one fails????
    It should be called a .....I Trick You Into Hiring Tree.
    I mean there are legitimate coaching trees out there, but the examples people are bringing up are not ones.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So by this ....You would say... as an example ...a Chevy is better than a ford because.......Even if every Chevy you seen doesn't work very long, and breaks down,, but because others say it's Cleary better, and that's what everyone else buys.....that is what You would buy?? No You wouldn't....so just because everyone is dumb, and keeps hiring Belichick coaches doesn't make that a good thing.....just means there are a lot of gullible people.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My point is what's does it matter if the guys looking to hire new coaches clearly don't know what they are doing by keep hiring Belichick coaches.....My point is....if they are dumb enough to do that....Why would I care that they are not looking at Tomlins coaches. Do You not understand what I'm trying to say???

• Like Like x 3
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Belichick had a losing record the year after Brady left :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
  21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No really Cowher didn't produce Arians.

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I did get it. I'm just making a different point than you are.

All I am saying is that people are hiring these Patriots jabronis because teams want to hire someone that worked for Belechick. The same cannot be said for Tomlin.

Yes I agree with you. Most of those guys were bums as head coach. But that just isn't the point I am trying to make.

Cowher had Jim Haslem leave to coach the Saints. He sucked. But it was still a compliment to Cowher because the only reason the Saints wanted him was because the Saints thought they were getting a piece of the Steelers way. That's the point I'm trying to make.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    no your analogy is all messed up. There are Ford people and chevy people. None of that is based on objective perceived results. The coaching world looks at Bellicheck as a great coach and he is. So they hope to catch some of that lighting in a bottle by hiring people that they hope can duplicate his success. It's how the perceive Bellicheck and his results that influence their decisions on hiring people from his staff. It doesn't make a tinker's damn if they fail it's how they perceive the coach Bellicheck. Whether or not those candidates succeed is not an indication of lack of respect for Bellichek. It's how the perceive him as a great HC. Tomlin not so much or there would be greater intererest his coaches. I'm kind of drunk right now so I disavow theis whle response if it makes no snens!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    ugh

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2