1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's Coaching Tree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Oct 11, 2022.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes. And there are a lot of reasons a new coach might not have immediate success that are out of his control. Generally they’re being hired to teams that aren’t very good… Not to mention crazy owners with zero patience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019

Holy crap do you even pay attention to the NFL... I can name 5 off the top my head and I don't even like him. And for the everyone else that's saying it don't matter, your clueless because getting interviewed and hired is the success of a coaching tree. There is no relevance to how good they are or aren't when becoming a head coach... Keep making the excuses for Tomlin and see how that all goes. The dude is crap like it or not

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t even think many of them have even been successful as coordinators after finding jobs elsewhere.

They were good because of Belichick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

There's no doubt that Bill Belichick is one of the all-time greats as an NFL head coach, but there's one area in which his résumé doesn't stack up to some other legendary figures: his coaching tree.

Bill Walsh's coaching tree includes Super Bowl-winning coaches like Mike Holmgren and George Seifert. Marty Schottenheimer's includes Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy. Bill Parcells' coaching tree includes Belichick, Sean Payton, and Tom Coughlin.

But Belichick's hasn't had nearly that level of success. As of November 28, 2020, his former assistants have a combined record of 208-296-1, a brutal .413 winning percentage.”

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Exactly. It is not that those guys were great coaches. The Patriots have a system of doing thing under Belechick that is very successful. Other teams buy into those guys because they feel like if they hire one, that coach will be able to implement the Patriots way of doing things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    You are changing the narrative here and you know it.

Teams hire Patriot assistants becuase they like how that orginization is run and they want to try to emulate that. This is evidenced by NFL teams hiring Patriots assistants over and over again. We also saw this a lot with the Steelers under Cowher.

With Tomlin we do not see this at all. Read into that what you will, but it is an indisputable fact. That was the only point the OP was trying to make IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    And what has that gotten them? One playoff victory? If there are more please remind me because I can only think of one. For the most part Tomlin has hired older coaches to come in and teach. Not young guys learning on the fly.

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It doesnt matter to me if the those coaches went 0-500. As a matter of fact it proves my point. Even though the track record for Patriots coaches isn't good NFL teams would rather hire them than even interview anyone form the Steelers.

The Steelers under Tomlin have been undisciplined and they hire assistant coaches that nobody wants. That is why.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

From the department of this sounds good in my head so I’m going to write it down.

You don’t know what any of the front offices in the nfl think.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  10. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe not, but we can get a glimpse into what they’re thinking by their actions. And that’s not interviewing anyone under Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Oh really? Sean kugler is in Arizona
    Wilson interviewed for OC position at Jacksonville
    Zierline went to Arizona
    Ray Horton is yet another

/edit I forgot a more recent one. The New York Football Giants requested permission to interview Austin as their dc.

if y’all say it enough it might just be true

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    That would be correct. I do not. Reality seems to back up my opinion.

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Except it doesn’t read the post above yours.

51250AEB-3C0D-4549-960F-CD41C575BC0F.gif

14. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Lets forget BB (who brought BB up anways??), why isn't Tomlin's tree like Bill Walsh, Mary Schottenheimer, or Bill Parcells?

FFS, Cowher produced Arians who won a SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Look at that list of names you posted. :lolol: Cmon man. You are better than that. I think James Saxon interviewed with Arby's. You forgot to mention that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Pretty sure Horton was already with the Steelers when Tomlin was hired, but whatever. Listen, I’m not saying Tomlin is the best or worst coach in the league, I was simply saying that there could be some merit to looking at his coaching tree and not being overly impressed. If you think the names you listed above are a ringing endorsement of his ability, so be it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Dude you made up some bs and you know it. Nobody even interviews Tomlin’s assistants. Sorry you were wrong.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Name some BS I made up.

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Ok. I get where you are calling BS. We were discussing interviews for NFL Head Coaching positions and you changed the rules. Name me guys that have been interviewed for HC positions besides Munchak. Has there been any? Not that I recall.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You’re right I thought Tomlin brought Horton with him. My mistake. The point is y’all keep making these claims about coaching trees and Tomlin’s coaches can’t even get interviews. I’m sorry if perception doesn’t match up with reality. As was pointed out earlier BB is arguably the greatest coach in nfl history and his coaching tree has exactly zero super bowls. Not to mention a sub 500 winning percentage

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Again we are discussing Head coaching interviews. I am waiting to hear your list of Tomlin guys that have interviewed for HC jobs. Only guy I can think of is Munchak.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    good lord you make this easy.

“It doesnt matter to me if the those coaches went 0-500. As a matter of fact it proves my point. Even though the track record for Patriots coaches isn't good NFL teams would rather hire them than even interview anyone form the Steelers.”

The Steelers under Tomlin have been undisciplined and they hire assistant coaches that nobody wants. That is why.

two claims in there. Would rather hire them than even interview anyone from the Steelers- and they hire assistant coaches that nobody wants.

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    y’all started crying about Tomlin’s coaching tree. I simply pointed out BB’s tree isn’t exactly some gold standard. You took issue with that and made up crap about our coaches not even getting interviews

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Your attempt to change the narrative has epic failed . LOL A couple of crappy lateral moves does not constitute a coaching tree. You are actually making my point for me.

Please tell us again how Josh Mcdaniels is the only Patriots assistant to ever land a head coaching gig. :lolol:

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    The highlighted line is strictly my opinion. You don't have to agree with it. That doesn't make it BS.