1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You mean the QB that set a record yesterday for most interceptions in a year?

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    HC's are responsible for the performance of his team including offense, defense, and special teams. So if something about the performance was embarrassing, he is responsible. That is one of the facts concerning being the HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    This only applies to every other team in the NFL, but not the Steelers apparently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Well, I would say that personnel, meaning players, largely falls on the GM and front office. They're the ones that need to manage the cap, draft, sign, and retain players, although the coach certainly has input in all of that. As for the OC, yes he reports to Tomlin, but it's never been quite clear how much autonomy and control he has with his assistants. When he came on he was told to retain LeBeau, he was later basically forced to fire Arians, and who knows what the deal was with Fichtner considering he's Ben's guy.

It was the same story with Cowher until he finally pulled his power play demanding greater control which led to Donahoe being let go. I think Tomlin needs to do the same thing. He needs to demand more control and it may be a good time to do it since Colbert is not under contract for next year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh I agree with you. I just don’t see them making Ben uncomfortable at this point. Fichtner is helping Ben. Helping him do whatever he wants....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And Foster, and Duck, and Barron, and Bud,and JuJu...None of it Tomlins fault...

When they lost this year...Young, such adversity, injuries, players sucked, Nothing to do with Tomlin blah blah

When they win...All Tomlin, What a gutsy effort, so good with so little, blah blah

Funny

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Yep...And all the talent " supposedly " was on D this year, and still sucked...

ALWAYS some kind of excuse with you...NEVER,EVER, EVER...Tomlins fault...Wow

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So having all those things ....a well above avg. QB ,best WR in the game, a 1,000yd RB and a OL playing at a top 5 level proves he can coach? According to you players solely decide the outcomes of games. So how do you know he can coach? Unless you only want to give coaches credit when they win and no blame when they lose? How about the signs of a good coach being able to do more with less? I would say his performance even given the circumstances was JV and definitely not Varsity. He’s never been a OC in the NFL until Ben basically promoted him because they are pals and he lets Ben do what he wants. Neither one believes in run/ pass balance,so it’s a perfect fit. Tell me when it’s ever a great idea to let your young QBs pass the ball 40 times in a game? He’s done that on multiple occasions and abandoned the running game at the same time in closely contested games. Is the OC at all responsible for consistent QB play and putting them in a position to succeed by actually being creative?

Ask yourself this question. Will RF ever be a OC again outside of Pittsburgh? When you figure out that answer it will tell you all you need to know about him being a good coach. He was a damn QB coach with no OC (NFL) experience promoted to OC because of who he knows and not what. This organization shouldn’t have to settle for mediocrity. There are coaches that would be beating down our doors to get a opportunity here. Yet we settle for someone’s best credential being he’s a friend of the QB.

I think some of you guys need to get a perspective outside of Player A didn’t play well that’s why we lost. There are so many other factors that contribute to wins and losses. There is such a thing as preparation and planning. It’s not just what happens between the lines that determines outcomes of games. Everyone wanted Butlers ass on a platter last year. Now all of a sudden he can coach? Yeah with 8 1st rounders and everyone playing at or near their potential. How about a coach who can do more with less? RF proved he isn’t that guy for sure and it’s not only because of talent level.
    It’s because of his failure to utilize what he did have and put players in a position to succeed with scheming and play calling. Some of you guys act like there’s just a handful of guys around here who feel the same way. There’s plenty of similar commentary coming from people with a lot more football knowledge than me. So I guess everyone is just imagining his shortcomings.....I guess we should be satisfied with RF until we have all the positions on offense locked down with above average talent again ? Then that will prove he can coach....

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Okay. At what position on offense do you feel they have better? Based on this season.

WR? I’m don’t even know their receivers but they all played better than ours.
    RB? Their backup running back ran over our elite defense for almost 200 yards.
    TE? They have two legit TEs. We have none. If you think Mcdonald is in there category you might want to think again. He has shown very little since being acquired except for one play when he ran over the Bucs defensive back.
    OL? There rushing yards through the season is evidence enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Is it vastly superior talent or is it players actually being utilized and more importantly correctly? Everyone mocked Jackson last year and said he would never amount to anything . Then they built a system around him and he’s potentially league MVP. Who’s laughing now? Look at Tannehill, written off as a bum now playing very good football and lead his team to the playoffs. Some of the same people who want to rationalize playing down to the opponent by saying there is a fine line between talent are the same who want to make excuses that we lost to superior talent. At the same time never calling coaching (planning,preparation) into question. Their backup RB ran for almost 200yds.Is it because he has talent far above what we have at RB or does the system allow for plug and play type performances. There used to be a time when our running game was feared no matter who was running the ball as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I find this conversation so laughable. People arguing over something they know will never happen. History tells everyone that. I think the Rooney's have it down. I think this is the best franchise in the world to cheer for. There is no other fan base like ours. We show up everywhere. Doesn't matter how far away we play. No matter who we have coaching for us there is no possible way to have remarkable seasons every year.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    All I know is what I saw on the field. You might be correct about the coaching. I was never in favor of always settling for in house coaching. If the coaches can’t adapt to the personnel, then we need coaches that can.
    I hope after Ben is gone we look at an innovative offensive coordinator. Someone that can bring something to the table other than bubble screens, deep passes and shovel passes.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So I’d like to know what is this big supersecret reason?

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    They have consistent mediocrity down pat alright. And in terms of the best franchise and fan base in the world, there are some rabid soccer fans in Europe that would probably disagree with you.

And your notion that there is no way to have remarkable seasons every year, explain how NE does it then.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Sad to see so many stricken with Tomlin Stockholm Syndrome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I honestly don’t know how some of you get anything else done in life. Tomlin dominates your every thought.
    Kind of sad and funny all at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Let's wait and see how Ben does with this defense :shrug:

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Sad to see so many fools run to a message board after every loss, to post the same crap over and over the coach sucks, fire the coach :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    N E does it by cheating :thumbs_up:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    But SDOT posted a pic of the Redskins plane that was seen in Pittsburgh this season, it was a done deal :lolol:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    No, I love Sports... Pittsburgh Sports,And the Steelers the most, that's my hobby Sports...Played my whole life, Coached for alot of it, and it dominated my TV ( wife SOMETIMES doesn't like this ) anyhow...

" You can be happy with underachieving every year, average every year...Few years back when we were " good " We folded, choked

Happy Happy Happy

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If Rooney is into dark, bald , and defensives mined HC's, he should go after the well tanned SF's ,,DC before somebody else grabs him.

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Eh once I get it out of my system. Doesn't really dominate my thoughts as much as it may seem. I'm just so tired and bored with it all. I feel like if I was rich and owned a sports franchise, I'd take more pride in it and want to do all I could to make it the best. Instead this one is run like an investment firm, very conservative, don't take big risks. Boring.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Then what's your solution? Keep banging your head against the wall and expect something different. This team isn't winning anything with this coaching staff. Deep down you know it, you just don't want to admit it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Well there is that. But cheating can only go so far, at least I hope.