1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 29, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowher couldn't win a Super Bowl until the Steelers drafted Ben, and Cowher didn't even want to draft him, he wanted to draft a OL instead :facepalm:.

2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If it bothers you so much, why did you listen to it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    George Seifert ring a bell? Before Switzer I believe.
    How about the Denver coach a few years ago?
    What about the coaches that step into great situations and bombed?
    But, but Tomlin... He's the reason we can't win a playoff game...carry on with the blinding hate. Not you steeldeal but some of these other jokers.
    Great thread by Pengvin67 I haven't been able to finish yet where he is using facts to back his argument. A bit biased with scoring imo but I'm biased too. A lot of factors in why we win & lose.

4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    More Belicheat cheating. & favorable calls from NY.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Do you know what Tomln’s record is against sub.500 teams? You should look it up. It’s actually pretty good.

Every fan base complains about how their coach manages the clock.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I didnt listen, i asked if anyone here did......... but thanks for your 2cents

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was simply stating something that will very likely be fact. Our next HC will very likely not be as fortunate as MT. Not saying anything is wrong with it. Just that he was very fortunate. Many more coaches step into less than desirable situations and get labeled as bad coaches. Kinda like the whole “ what did Munch do in Tenn. I think there’s probably a fine line between the ability of coaches ( besides BB) in the NFL. What separates a good coach from a bad one is probably a slim margin. At the same time I firmly believe that sometimes the message gets stale and the preparation takes a natural decline as well. Honestly I don’t think his preparation was that great to begin with. Its human nature to get comfortable no matter how hard you fight it and say it’s not a factor.

The point I’ve been trying to make over and over again is that there has to be a point where you say it’s time for a change. Some people here won’t even acknowledge that his tenure here at least deserves to be questioned. How many more non losing seasons and disappointing playoff exits? Will lack of talent always be a excuse or will he at some point be held responsible and accountable. Some can’t even fathom the thought and that’s just as ridiculous as the people who blame Tomlin for everything....

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In fairness, Tomlin did go 8-8 with no competent QB play whatsoever. I remember Cowher going 6-10, 6-10 and 7-9 in seasons when he 'didn't have a QB.' I'm not sure who we could have hired this season that could have made things much better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Heyward, Watt, DuPree ( up and down ) DeCastro, Pouncey ( until recently, slowing down ) AB, Bell, Bush...lol Stop

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Lol...yes points are up across the board.
    I was thinking this year with the new guru out in SF.

Pittsburgh
    18.9 ppg allowed
    17.1 at Heinz
    20.8 on the road
    improvement of 3.6 pts. from last year

SF
    19.4 ppg allowed
    19.6 at whatever their stadium is called
    19.1 on the road
    improvement of 7.8 pts. from last year

They also like to run the ball & can do it so I'm betting they have us beat in top

Strength of schedule? Not sure yet but I think it's a wash.

Post Minkah, I think our defense is better (maybe not the run defense)

11. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Idk...But I would beg there's not 1 person on here who knew who Tomlin was... I'm sure there's one Coach in this whole wide world who could replace him...

SF D coordinator, with a young, innovative OC by his side

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    ....and I’m sure both their couches were quite comfortable....lol

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    "Projects" not players Disco
    Dupree
    Burns
    Davis
    Edmunds
    Can't give them 3-5 years to develop into studs anymore

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I was all aboard the time to move on train myself. I think I still am but know it won't happen until Ben leaves. He did throw a curve ball at his doubters this year but finished in Tomlin fashion. (Can't put this one on Ben either way)
    Your posts do lean toward why he should go. If we had to get rid of a starter or Tomlin this year, who is your pick?
    Mine would be Barron. A.k.a "Part-time"

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    In Tomlin's defense maybe that is true with the coordinators. Maybe he has no say. If that's the case then AR2 is no better than Jerry Jones or worse of a control freak. But given Tomlin's history with the coordinators I think it's more he doesn't want to fire friends. And in terms of who picks the players, I disagree. Under Cowher it seemed clear to me that Colbert would pick the players that Cowher wanted. With Tomlin, I get the feeling Colbert does more.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colbert loves them boys from Virginia...:roflmao:

Edit: I'm sure that Colbert has to tell Tomlin no many times during the draft.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Tomlin still has say yes but Colbert isn't his lapdog is what I mean.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Barron or as I like to call him Barren is a easy cut to make. There are a couple others as well. It’s definitely not the right time to fire MT. He should go with Ben and next year will be the key. If they both fail they need to try and get out from Ben’s contract and start a new era with a new coach. I don’t want MT and his current OC anywhere near our young QBs anymore. He had his time . Should we fail to make a deep playoff run, his run should be over. Ben or no Ben next year it’s playoffs or bust.
    I’m going to link a article I hope you have time to read it. It’s Tomlin talking about potential coaching “movement “ One of his quotes is “ he doesn’t put coaches in front of players” but then goes on to say he’s meeting with players now. Does that mean he’s dealing with the players first or he doesn’t have say in the coaches? His comment about not being surprised if there was also makes it sound like he has no control over it. I’m not sure which way to take it but if it’s true and he doesn’t get to pick his coordinators? That’s a pretty sad commentary that a coach with his tenure and “success “ can’t pick his own coordinators. IMO for a HC that is a must or it doesn’t say much about how the org. feels about their HC. I would love some clarity on that.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/t...wouldnt-be-shocked-if-there-is-some-movement/

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I edited my last post about the same time as your post Duke.

20. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    No S***...I never seen anybody who twists everything like you...You were bitching about all the 1st round misses...I pointed out all the players the Steelers " hit " on... You pointed out the ones who didn't...

The Steelers, Where the usually draft have done a great job in the 1st round ( for the most part ) nobody " hits " em all

• Like Like x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Twisting players to play hybrid positions is what I ***** about Nostradamus.

Edit: The Steelers have made some excellent picks.

2nd edit: Bince will never be a cover guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'll second that. I'm also so tired of every draft, well he played the position one year in college so he's a bit of a project. How about drafting people that you know spent most of their time playing one position and are decent at it? Versatility isn't always the best thing, play to your strengths.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I have no idea why you have decided to reply. You must have misread my last reply. You convinced me I said. We should cheer for them cheaters. They have good coach. Question for you. Who should the Steelers hire for head coach?

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    In his press conference he said fans like you suck :roflmao:, the main thing he said was that Dupree is a priority for the team.

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I replied to you because this is a message board. And oh ok I convinced you then, no sarcasm at all. Thanks.

And since people keep asking let's hire Tom Hanks, the Rock, Dan Bylsma, Clint Hurdle.
    For the last time, I don't know who they should hire! But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion that Tomlin should be replaced.