1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Sep 9, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure Ben would of wanted to go for it, as long as they passed it

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Probably why Popcorn kicked it.

3. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Steelers only ran the ball 13 times while throwing it 47 times.

not the kind of balance you're looking for, but Fichtner wants to keep Ben happy...

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Tomlin has a similar problem that Cowher had. Not very hands on (although I would say worse in Tomlins case) and basically let the assistants take on a bigger role. I mean that's fine I guess if you have top notch assistants but when you don't it shows. Today's NFL requires a HC who is at least in tune with one side of the ball. Just standing out there and letting whatever happens happens with no backup plan just doesn't cut it.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They said they weren’t worried about run/pass balance. They want to be able to do both based on what the defense is doing. So NE dared them to run the ball by playing extra DBs and what did they do ....pass it anyway. It’s asinine stuff like that ,that drives me nuts. Why so Ben can lead the league in attempts and throw for 5,000yds and lead the league in INTs and call that a good season. It’s sad really.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben wants to keep Ben happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Then we've already lost.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I knew they didn't run much that game, but dang I didn't know it was that lopsided.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And another thing...Did anybody notice ( probably not many because it was so late ) but... Belicheat chewing somebody's Ass out, the last series of the game and...All game long him AND Brady looking at notes and Ipads the whole game...

We got trounced but Popcorn had his arms folded and not ONE glance at any notes...Either to cool, or has a mind like a computer...Take your pick

10. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I'm gonna pick that he doesn't have a mind like a computer or he'd be better at challenges...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    .....and another thing...lol. I’m a glutton for punishment, so yeah I noticed. He actually called a TO with like 6 seconds left. He doesn’t miss a opportunity to drive home what he teaches. That’s why they are always prepared.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think they abandoned it when they fell behind by a couple scores but I haven’t had any desire to rewatch it yet.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Whole team was reeling after the Edelman screen.

15. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Tomlin again yesterday said the communication was not clear on the field in the Pats game and that guys were having trouble being on the same page. I just don’t understand how this keeps continuing to be an issue with this defense and Butler and Tomlin. Like what the hell is the problem that this can just never seemed to get fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s so full of crap. It’s been talked about that they went into the game with the same plan as last year. They used man in their win last year. So NE did what any team with a brain would of done. They prepared and practiced for that and used “ man buster” type plays. They used motion to make sure what defense was being run and then put their preparation to work. They also went uptempo at times to trap us in the defense they wanted to attack and went to work on that. So was it communication (confusion) once they realized NE was ready for the same scheme as last year? Or was it communication issues because the players weren’t prepared to do anything else once NE figured them out.

The game plan on Sunday was described as LAZY. I’m not sure you couldn’t say the same thing about the approach on offense as well....you play how you practice and in this case we didn’t just have a week to prepare, we had months.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree nothing new with communications, same sh_t been going for years now. Rooney has too see this or he is in denial.

18. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I did and actually said something about it in the GDT. I have never seen him looking at notes, jotting stuff down, checking a play sheet. Hell I don't even know if the guy knows there are tablets on the sideline to review the sh*t that happening. We have a coach that does not coach he is a cheerleader plain and simple. Iv been around some really good coaches and even 1 of the best at the collegiate level they are all like Belicheat. Constantly working and coaching to make a difference either for the now or for the future. Tomlin stares at the big screen and watches the games like the rest of us. When we are winning hes pounding his chest, when we are losing hes a deer in headlights.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this in the Trib.
    Tomlin wouldn’t pin the defensive breakdowns on Watt, however, saying that “there’s always communication problems early in the year.”

This does not need to be this way. Teach, coach, chew their a$$e$ until its right in PRACTICE. Do not just except it as this is how it is. You didnt see the Pats with all the communication breakdowns, actually you never do WHY?
    Answer: Its not accepted, they are expected to know their responsibility, and do their job and they practice this way. Its an expatiation, a non negotiable.

Coach Cliche says the "standard is the standard" well when the standards are not high you end up with a pile of SH*T.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I admit to not reading all 5 pages of this fire MT thread. No need to since we have been living the same crappy ground hog day nightmare for the past 10 years.

I've pretty much given up hope that this squad will never be anything more than a disappointment as long as Tomlin is here. The standard is the standard. He has made that abundantly clear.

20. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    This is one of the many reasons that if things really go south this year again and this team misses the playoffs that I don’t care what the history is of this team never changes coaches Rooney really needs to sit the hell down and take a long hard look at what’s going on with Tomlin. There is simply no excuse for this team to miss the playoffs with the kind of schedule that they have this season. Missing the playoffs should be told to Tomlin is not an option this season if you wanna plan on being the coach of this team moving forward.

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This schedule is brutal given the Steelers history of poor play in the mountain and pacific time zones. It's pretty much guaranteed the AZ, SF, LAC games will go in the L column.

22. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Well you better win in San Fran and Arizona at least out of those 3. You have games against the Dolphins and Bills who stink at home, the Colts without Luck at home, two games with the Bengals, you should at least split with the Browns and Ravens, and the Jets on the road is also a winnable game. Toss up games are Seattle, Chargers and Rams and 2 of those 3 are at home. So there is around 10 wins there and just no excuse to miss the playoffs. The schedule is nowhere close to being brutal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think the Bengals games are a gimme this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bengals have a new head coach and they were far more competitive vs Seattle than Steelers vs. NE. It wouldn't surprise me if Bengals won the damn division.

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And, Ever since Butler has been there all I ever hear about after a loss is.....Communication problems or: I didn't know wtf I was doing

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1