1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Sep 9, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    12 years. You would think after that long a head coach with one team would develop some proficiencies. But disturbingly, it never seems like Tomlin has learned from his time in the NFL. Still makes rookie mistakes, can't gameplan, loses to terrible teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Off the top of my head...
    [​IMG]

Brentson Buckner.
    Is he qualified: I don't know
    Was Tomlin qualified in '07: I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Because he's a former Steeler? :facepalm:

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Fire Tomlin and hire the best avaliable coach :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Well their loss doesn't change my fandom. I will remain as optimistic and hopeful as ever, BUT if I owned the team, I think I would have sent MT and Butler packing at halftime. No, I'm not kidding either!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

This is the way it should have been from the get go. I don't buy into this minority or equal opportunity crap. Hire the best available coach is the answer regardless of race.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Let’s not go down this path. It leads to a broader political/societal discussion that goes well beyond the Rooney Rule.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

nice edit huh? lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You got halfway there!

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Well thats how I feel and rather then mute the entire conversation I feel half is better then whole in this particular circumstance. F political correctness lol

11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    If some of the injuries are bad IE Watt or Haden or both it could truly be the end of TOMLIN. Could you imagine this defense without both of them? We might not win 3 games this season and surely that would get anyone fired regardless of race. Right??!!

12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The offense without AB looks absolutely atrocious going back to the Cincy game. Sure it’s a small sample size of 2 games but wow I don’t know how you fix having no talent.

Defensively we were supposed to be better but if we are missing Haden Watt and Sean Davis that defense becomes a bottom 5 real quick.

Season is shaping up to be a complete dumpster fire and if that’s what it takes to get TOMLIN fired I’m ok with it.

Only bad part is Ben probably retires too but maybe it’s Masons time next year.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The way he played Sunday night maybe he should have retired.

I understand it's only the first game against the top team in the NFL but that display was bottom feeder worthy. I am going to hope for a bounce back against Seattle. But if the Ben that played Sunday night arrives and that defense Seattle will run over this team with ease.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No, because he's a minority and he intern coached here for multiple seasons.:shrug:
    I would consider him a Carolina Panther more than a Steeler.
    But I see your point, Rooney never hires anyone with Pittsburgh ties.o_Oo_Oo_O

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Great idea, except that wouldn't have addressed the post I was responding to regarding Rooney's reluctance to fire a minority.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Before the one year extension, Tomlin was contracted through the 2020 season. Next season would have been 'lame duck' if he wasn't extended, not this season...?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If they fire Tomlin they better bring in a coach who isn't just going to bend over and let Ben do whatever he wants. The lethargic offensive performances that have been a trend with this team start with him. Dude doesn't put in the work necessary and it trickles down to the rest of the offense. We need someone to challenge Ben, not pander to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This is why I don't think MT will be fired in season (does anyone really think that??) The Steelers front office didn't even have the balls to fire LeBeau or Arians. They just pulled the sheets over their head and hoped the bogeyman would go away. And they're going to fire a HC in season after one game, come on. At the season's end is a different story.

Not responding to anyone in particular, just the FMTI notions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I assume you mean '*not*going to a HC in season after one game.' I agree.
    I think (more than likely) he won't be fired at all, or no time soon. There's already a 2022 option in his contract.
    https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-give-mike-tomlin-contract-extension-through-2021-season/

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This was my hesitation with promoting Randy Fichtner and it was discussed at his hiring. But I thought RF called good games last year.

And I think he will be good again this year. And I'm mentioning RF instead of MT because of MT's "I let my coordinators do their thing" and I think RF should be the first one to reel in Ben when he veers off course. Just a chain of command opinion. None of us know what the coaches tell Ben, but Ben is the constant denominator and it seems he just fights the idea of change. Especially when its not something he likes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    As a former Steeler great put it: Ben has "ownership mentality".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The number of NFL coaches fired mid-season, or at least before Week 13 or so is miniscule. Hell, Hue Jackson made it to early November last year and only got fired after telling the owner to go screw himself.

In short, MT isn't going to get fired mid-season. Unless he tells Art II to go screw himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If those drops were catches, we were moving the ball. Switzer may not be much after the catch but he was getting 5-7 yards a catch. Again moving the ball. Our line was getting their azzes handed to them in the run game, yet no nix used. 3rd and 1 from the 1 and you empty the backfield? Even calling a time out. The head coach should have said no f-ing way to that. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe this was his last season under contract. I’m not sure there would of been a need to extend him now if he had this and next year . I could be wrong but then to me why rush a extension after all that happened.