1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin took over the defense? Has this been posted?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shadowmaker, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a different take. There was an aggressive unit that produced 56 sacks and a more sit back and play it safe unit. I really want to know who dialed up the defense that neutered them against the Jags. Tomlin or Butler.

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Seems to me the game plan was just to maintain contain. In hindsight, they couldn't maintain or contain ****. Should've just went attack mode and rattled an already inconsistent QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tomlin did

4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    :facepalm:

5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    :eek:

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    It's called "living in your fears"... and I believe that's what we specifically were told that this team doesn't ever do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not buying any of this. Has anyone ever seen Tomlin on the sidelines with a play card? When I see him on the sidelines it sure doesn't look to me like he's calling defensive signals. I've seen him on mic'ed up a couple times. I see a lot of cheerleading, but never once have I witnessed him make a play call. I think Tomlin is just taking the heat off his assistants because he's not planning on making any changes.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Hadn't thought about it before, but that does resemble MC's deer in the headlight stare.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He has a headset on all game, he could easily be calling plays.

I saw someone else mention a play card, he doesn't need one to call defensive alignments. It's not offense.

11. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    12-15 of those sacks came against the Browns and they almost lost both games. They were so enamored with getting their record no one was in there gaps and we got ran through. And that lack of gap intergrity showed throughout the season.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Man I was hoping they would bring the house on certain plays, blitz the crap out of that scrub. Well that scrub made this defense (lower case they don't deserve a capital) look silly and unprepared ALL DAY! I don't care who called the defense it was horrendous. When they drove right down the field on us after deferring already my heart sunk. And it just got worse from there. Just a sliver of defense and I believe the outcome might have been different. Pathetic!

But hey, everyone is safe and we will get them next year right?! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    this started a couple of years ago and i made a comment back then and got flamed for it. MT was going to the DB's in practice and trying to teach the cover 2 in camp. that season we didn't have the personnel it was said. we got new picks (davis and burns) and added (cockrell) and then said we didn't have the personnel to run man. at the end of camp this year we got rid of cockrell, added haden, drafted sutton and tomlin is still teaching the db's. why the heck is carnell here and what exactly does he do?

MT seems to busy coaching a position and teaching his players a concept and then at the last minute changing personnel to help fit that concept but still not seeing he still doesn't have the right personnel to run that concept. we seem to have some guys that can play man and some that can play zone but together they can't play either. we have a position coach that is being shown the same as the players because he was brought up in the zone scheme.

we also change what our personnel do at LB'er and D-line. the DE's no longer take up blockers and stop the run while they collapse the pocket, they are now pass rushers.

the LB'ers are now part DB's and part time pass rushers and part time run stoppers. again we don't have the personnel to run this type of defense, if this even is a type of defense. it's seems more like a hodge podge of two types of defense with two types of players trying to mesh it together. (3-4 and 4-3, zone and man) and players that fit one or the other trying to do both. it's not meshing well and the is no wonder that there is miscommunication going on all the time. even between the coaching staff. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I know he wears a headset duh, as much as the cameras are on him it didn't seem like he was talking into them constantly. Maybe he does call the plays no big deal, it doesn't matter who calls the plays if the players don't execute them :shrug:.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well if you knew that why did you make such a duh comment?

Followed by another duh comment here, like you could really tell if he was calling plays into his headset.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I made a duh comment so you could understand :dancing:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nope

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    With the Steelers on defense it's like playing 11 against 9, with Mitchell and Spence on the field they're both useless out there :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I call BS on this, Tomlin is calling the defense with no playsheet :shrug:. You see Mike Zimmer of Minnesota he calls the defense for the Vikings and he has a big playsheet.

21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Dang, logged into the post gazette and saw Tomlin is still the coach

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yep until 2020 :cool:

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rooneys don't fire coaches,they excuse them when their contracts are up. They're not gonna pay for two coaches. Anyone who comes here knows this they come in like gangbusters and slowly start to wilt. A couple good seasons in a row will get them a extension and start the process over until a poor record coincides with a walk year. Tomlin came in like a lion and looks like he is going out like a lamb...talent is being wasted while everything crumbles around us. He came in as a disciplinarian but now the nuts are running the asylum. I just don't think he can turn the locker room around at this point and players loving to play for him is supposed to be his strength. Their actions are showing everything but that no matter what they say in public. He's not a Xs and Os guy and needs good coordinators around him and needs to be able to trust them and stay out of the way. I feel like we aren't gonna win a SB again until the talent is great enough to overcome the coaching of our current group. I'm seeing a lot of new coaches coming in and doing more with less.