1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin signs extension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Yogi4, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  3. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Tomlin extended

Albert Breer from the NFL Network is reporting that Tomlin just got extended through 2016.
    Congrats Coach T..now le't win some Super Bowls

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: Tomlin extended

Great news!

(I sense a thread merge coming on...)

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Awesome news! :herewego:

<In my best yoda voice> Strong with you the force is.

6. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im happy to be here for another 3 years coaching the best football team in the history of the NFL.

Seriously, great signing :herewego:

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  9. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I believe that he really deserves this, he has taken the team to 2 SB's. And has had a great draft, although there were others involved with that. It also looks like he is in the groove as far as coach to player relationship. Not to close and not to distant.
    I was on the fence with the original hiring but he has proved to be an excellent coach!! Congrats Mike

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Will this make Him the highest paid coach in the nfl now?

11. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Awesome!!! So, I guess this means that Bill Cowher isn't coming back? :cool:

12. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Congrats to Tomlin for the contract extension. I do believe he deserves it just on his record alone but I also have concerns whether he can make the tough decisions or not. (i.e. Getting rid of BA at the right time).

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    MT is growing and learning as a head coach. this was his first gig. :cool:

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People, he was handed the keys to Ferrari. It would have been hard
    to screw that up. He has alot to learn(Clock MGMT skills). He is getting there.

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers have had three head coaches since 1969. Talk about stability.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Norv Turner took over 14 - 2 Chargers team, how'd that work out for him? Bum Phillips took over a stocked Cowboys team, he didn't fare so well either. Steve Mariucci took over a SB team in the 49ers and while he had some good seasons, he never won a SB. I'll give you clock management but to say that he has a lot to learn is grossly inaccurate and completely disrespectful not to give the man any credit for what he has done. I don't think some fans realize how hard it is to win a SB, no matter how good your roster is.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he does have alot to learn. he was never a head coach. ever. big difference in that and being a coordinator. he wasen't that either for very long. he could be better in alot of ways, but he's working on it. the stability of the front office even through all the ownership changes and lockout, has put him in the best place he could possibly be to learn this job. as far as being handed the keys though??????????? cowher won it once in 15 years. that's not exactly can't miss when MT got here. both have a loss in the SB, something chaz never let happen. :cool:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

he does have alot to learn. he was never a head coach. ever. big difference in that and being a coordinator. he wasen't that either for very long. he could be better in alot of ways, but he's working on it. the stability of the front office even through all the ownership changes and lockout, has put him in the best place he could possibly be to learn this job. as far as being handed the keys though??????????? cowher won it once in 15 years. that's not exactly can't miss when MT got here. both have a loss in the SB, something chaz never let happen. :cool:[/quote:2xfi2eok]

He's been here 5 years already, he doesn't have a lot to learn. Can he grow as a coach? Sure, but saying he has a lot to learn makes it sound like he is Incompetent and doesn't know what he is doing.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he does have alot to learn. he was never a head coach. ever. big difference in that and being a coordinator. he wasen't that either for very long. he could be better in alot of ways, but he's working on it. the stability of the front office even through all the ownership changes and lockout, has put him in the best place he could possibly be to learn this job. as far as being handed the keys though??????????? cowher won it once in 15 years. that's not exactly can't miss when MT got here. both have a loss in the SB, something chaz never let happen. :cool:[/quote:iktgl80h]

He's been here 5 years already, he doesn't have a lot to learn. Can he grow as a coach? Sure, but saying he has a lot to learn makes it sound like he is Incompetent and doesn't know what he is doing.[/quote:iktgl80h]

no it doesn't mean that he's incompetent at all. there are things he has never done as a head coach. thats all it means. :cool:

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Do we forget the team that Cowher was handed a pretty decent team as well? Maybe not a Ferrari, but definitely a RX-7 or Camaro...

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm happy to have him as our coach. I look forward to the next Superbowl title. While we definitely got younger with this years draft and off season moves, there are still key players, who as a group only have a few more years together: Troy, JH, BK, Ben, Heath...I expect these guys to be key in bring home #7. This year would be great

22. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I know its been beaten to death but if Tomlin had had a decent OC, he would have 2 SBs right not. Now they have fixed that problem so hopefully next yr at this time, we ll be talking about him getting his 3rd. :yeehaw:

23. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm ok with this. Consistency over the next 5 years will be an important factor with this young team.

24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    He was handed the keys to a wrecked pick up truck. Cowher laid down his last year. Tomlin had to get them back to thinking about winning. not taking a dive

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You are sadly mistaken if you think the cupboard was bare when Cowher left.
    Coach T inherited alot more talent than BC ever did.