1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is from the Army game last Autumn. The negative plays aren't all on Willis but he just does not look like an NFL QB to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I decided to take a little time and look more closely at these links. I'm not trying to be snarky here. We kept going back and forth on these, so I thought it was only fair that I actually read them more closely. To be clear, the only one that seems to come from a reputable source is the second one, which even you acknowledge makes no sense. Jack Coan as the No. 1 quarterback in the class? I guess the Colts will be happy. They signed him as an UDFA.

Draftwire, which had Pickett second, also raved about Pitt's draft class, including the selection of Pickett.
    https://draftwire.usatoday.com/list...t-analysis-every-team/?itm_source=parsely-api

I've never heard of Pro Football Network, which left Pickett out of its top five. Their website is a mess. Their article that is listed as reaction and grades to all seven rounds leaves out the entire AFC. I'm actually not being snarky when I say that if a student of mine wanted to use a source like this in a research paper, I would tell them to go find something else because it isn't reliable.

We already discussed the one that had Carson Strong as the top guy in the class, though I do agree with you and others who think the Steelers should have taken strong in the seventh round.

Of course, you don't need these sources to prove that Pickett wasn't the media's universal top choice. I've never argued that fact. I just don't believe that means he gets a third-round grade because the other quarterbacks fell at least that far. This is especially true of his comparison with Willis. I know you think they are comparable, but they are just vastly different as prospects. It is absolutely possible that teams had them rated that differently.

• Like Like x 1
  3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The majority vote was Pickett was the best of this draft class. It is surprising he lasted through 19 picks. While no other QB was taken in the first round, that is not to say Pickett would have made it past the first round. He was the Steelers' top choice all along as we were not on the clock long when the pick was in. Trubisky was brought in for two reasons, which are both one in the same, he was to be the bridge guy until Willis was ready next season, or the bridge guy until the QB was taken in the 2023 draft. I know many feel that Pickett has to start this year to be a success. Even Mahomes didn't start his rookie season. Not saying these two should be compared, but food for thought as I really hope it turns out that well.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't doubt that Pickett was the best QB in the draft this year. I just don't agree that QB was the highest need and worth spending 1st round capital for. That said, it's spring time and hope springs eternal. So we'll hope in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which hand fills up faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Man, I hope you wash your hands regularly.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I heard Yesterday that there was talks of Atlanta trading back in....either 2 the late 1st, or early 2nd for Pickett. Don't know How true it is.:shrug:
    I believe it was C. Simms, or....Hell I don't remember...I listen 2 a bunch of stuff, but it was a ex NFL Qb....I do remember that.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is a report the Steelers explored moving up to 15 with the Texans. Really glad that didn’t happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet you try so hard to justify yourself

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You keep trying to lump all of the quarterbacks together, but that simply isn't how it works. A team can take a quarterback in the first round if their guy is there, but choose a player at another position if the quarterback they wanted is gone.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He tries so hard to justify his inability to properly follow the conventions of the English language rather than actually working to address that particular shortcoming.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm one of the most informative posters on this board. Check my post history, I'm right more times than not. It's not what Steelers fans want to hear at the time so I get hate. I should get paid to post my expert analysis here.

Hindsight, if they were truly going to take Willis at 20 if Pickett was gone. With both QBs available they should have traded back and seen how things unfolded. Everybody thought the Steelers were desperate for a QB so that would've said a lot. Does a team trade up into late 1st for Pickett? Does he fall to us in the 2nd? We saw what teams thought of Willis. Pickett fell to 20 and nobody traded in front of the Steelers to take him. I think worst case we could've traded back in the 1st, got an extra 2nd or 3rd, and got Pickett with late 1st. That's a lot better value imo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’ve been watching the draft long enough to know that if any of the QB needy teams in front of the Steeler thought Pickett was a franchise guy, they would have taken him over every single other position on their draft boards.

It’s very likely the Steelers reached for Pickett and thats fine if he meets their expectations. I have no problem reaching for QB’s given the importance of the position, risky to play around and see if they fall to you in the next round.

Seeing as how the draft did unfold, I think they could have traded back and got both Pickett and another good player that were available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I can agree that we had other needs that could have been addressed in the first round. I just wonder how much changed with the unfortunate passing of Dwayne Haskins.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Again, if the quarterback you want falls to you, you take him. You don't mess around and risk somebody else jumping up ahead of you. At any other position, dropping back and hoping is fine. You don't do that with quarterbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are degrees of faith that he is a franchise guy. Just like any other position, there are guys who are top-10 value and there are guys who are top-20 value. The Lions and Panthers didn't see him as top-10 value. That doesn't mean they wouldn't want him later in the round.

It is not likely at all that the Steelers reached for Pickett. You simply don't have the evidence to back that up. As you said, trading back would have been a mistake regardless. Given the importance of the position, if your guy falls to you, you take him. You don't screw around.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

See @jeh1856!!!!!

Comedy for the low, low admission of free!!!

:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

So why converse with people on here in the first place?! No seriously. No one is forcing you to comment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah, I'm guessing it probably played some part. How much is anybodys guess. Such a tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Boy you are clueless pro Willis Fan. He could not compete at Auburn and failed there. Goes to a po dunk school liberty that plays no one. They play 2 top 25 teams where he hadZERO TD PASS and only running tds. Boooo. I dont want Lamar part 2. We took better of 2 QBS and both are no sure thing. Reason Willis on board for so long.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Simms was talking about one of them, maybe two, he said might be faster than Willis, could have been Pickett and Corral but he also said Willis is the best runner in the class, said he has running back vision, knows how to use his blockers.

Pickett is the most pro ready, I hope he is the best but I’m very nervous that everyone passed on him except the Steelers. Odds are all the other teams are right and Steelers reached. I’m convinced if they hadn’t, Pickett falls out of the first with the rest of them. Hopefully it was a successful reach. I think even Vegas had Willis as the first off the board.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, he was talking about both Pickett and Corral. He also said that while Willis is the best runner, those guys might have been able to do similar things against the weak level of competition Willis faced. He added that Willis did not look so special as a runner when he faced higher-level competition.

I understand that you are convinced that is a reach, but I think you are having a hard time getting past your own belief that Willis is better. I understand the thinking, that in your mind, that must mean that Pickett must also belong in the third round, too. That simply isn't true.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s here all week folks

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His one splash play in the Senior Bowl looked exactly like he had been doing to weaker competition.

I don’t think anyone really expects Willis to struggle moving the ball on the ground. It’s whether he can move the team though the air that is in doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  24. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    That was my concern with Willis. My guess is we are probably looking at the last 2-3 years of Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. That style of QB play seems to have a shelf life. Once everyone is over the initial shock of what he can do running out of the pocket, he gets figured out and easy to defend.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was one play. He was also the least effective passer on the field that day.

I'm sure he will have some success as a runner, but he's going to have to adjust to guys on defense that are actually as fast or faster than him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1