1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin sets us back another 5 years... Pickett over Willis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 29, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No. It isn’t obvious that no teams had a first round grade on him. Teams don’t only have one player graded for each round. It’s entirely possible that every team that picked before them had a first round grade on him. They simply could have other players with a first round grade that they needed more. The Steelers know this guy. They know him better than anyone else in the league. With every pick there is a certain amount of unknown. Can his skill set translate to an nfl system? Can he have the same production against nfl level competition? Can he hold up physically to the riggers of an nfl season? The fact the Steelers have been attached to the hip to him for 5 years tells me the Steelers know exactly what they’re getting with Pickett.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep telling yourself that. Lance was traded up for and taken 3rd last year but no one is going to take a QB this year with a first rd grade and by pick 20. Right.

It’s obvious to me.

Do you really think teams felt good about this draft class and let all but one drop to the 3rd? Ok.

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Mac Jones went 15th. He would've gone top 5 in this draft.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Site record may be his as well

He likes the attention

• Like Like x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And Mac was a first round pick because Mac had the most efficient passing season in college football history and He's looked upon as a guy with a low ceiling just like Pickett.

Size isnt generally what they look when judging talent. While you can't teach size, it's not what will make yous tand out compared to another qb. Almost all of them in the nfl have size except like 2.

When did I say Willis was the barometer for being the most physically talented and he's just as fast? Lol what? Willis reportedly Ran a 4.37 at auburn. Pickett is no where near as fast as him nor quick. The burst and change of direction willis has is far greater than pickett. His arm isn't as a strong as his either. There's nothing about him that makes him stand out. Almost every nfl starter has an NFL arm. What separates the most physically gifted like mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Stafford, etc.. is they have arms that surpass the average nfl arm.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm not saying Jurkovic will pan out. Just saying I liked taking him in the 7th vs Pickett in the 1st.

Could you find my 2018 draft. Tomlin set us back 5 years thread?

5 years... 0-3 in playoffs.

Edmunds - They didn't even want him back. Nobody in the league had any interest in him. 1st round bust.

Washington - Never used properly and gone.

Rudolph - Terrible and probably gone.

Chuks - Still questionable.

Allen - Locker room mascot and ST player. Nothing special.

Samuels - Never given a chance and wasted countless picks on RB after him.

Safe to say that draft set us back. Still looking for a solid safety. Still drafting WRs and QBs. Same position we were in 5 years ago.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, it does matter how ridiculous some of those rankings are. That is why I questioned if you even read them. I know you realize Carson Strong wasn't the No. 1 quarterback going into the draft. You are smarter than that. Most, if not all, of the members of this board no better. Any source that had him No. 1 is a joke and has no business being used as part of a valid argument.

Why would I care that you posted sources that show Pickett wasn't the consensus top-ranked quarterback when I have never disputed that fact? I wouldn't.

If there weren't question marks about Pickett, he wouldn't have made it to the 20th pick overall. My issue was with the false claim that he had a third-round grade on him. I'm sure there may be some random ranking out there that has it that way. Hell, you managed to find rankings that had Strong as the No. 1 quarterback going into the 2022 draft and he wasn't even drafted.

By your logic, the Jaguars should have just waited until the third round to take Devin Lloyd because that is where Dean was selected.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You brought up the issue of physical tools. Size is part of that. If you don't think so, you know even less than I thought.

Show me a legitimate 40-time for Willis, not some rumor you found. What sets Willis apart as a runner is his vision and shiftiness, not speed. Of course, it helped that he was playing against pathetic competition most of the time.

Of course, what sets Pickett apart from the rest of the draft class is as much mental as physical. You don't seem to understand that reading progressions and making good, quick decisions is what really sets a quarterback apart. Yes, guys like Mahomes, Rodgers, and Allen have special arm talent. So do dozens of quarterbacks who sucked once they got to the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Again size is something almost everyone has. It does not seprate him or make him special lol. That's Not a talent which makes you standout.

Ok so by your logic, Pickett is as fast as lamar since lamar never ran a 40 time prior to coming out since you not running g an official 40 means we can just blindly claim someone is a fast as you. May not recount tyreek hill speed too. He never ran an official 40 at the combine.

And no dozens of qbs didn't have arms like mahomes. He's arm is generational. Like Trevor Lawrence last yr was cosider genraltional due to his golden arm and athletic ability all in one. And in the past when they the game was different it didn't matter but now it does. All these qbs are too good to think just an average guy is going to get you through. It's why the niners want to get rid of a guy who had them a throw away from the sb. He won't move the needle. He's just average.

You keep talking about Pickett and this draft class. This draft class for qbs was TERRIBLE. Reading and going through progressions if a guy studies and dedicates himself enough, can eventually do..mahomes himself admitted he couldn't do all that until halfway through his 3rd yr. In his first yr he won league mvp barely doing all those things you just named. And again if that were the case Mac Jones would've went first last yr.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He was unicorn due to his physical traits. His ability to decipher defenses, scan the field, and throw anticipatory throws were all in question but those are things people figured he could eventually learn but his physical tools you couldn't teach. Mac Jones was touted by many as the MOST pro ready qb last yr. But he had a low ceiling.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    First of all, Strong isn’t the joke you are making him out to be, he’s probably the best thrower of the football in the class. He dropped as far as he did because of his medicals, he has a degenerative knee condition. Having said that, I still wouldn’t have ranked him #1.

ESPN also ranked Willis ahead of Pickett which again is the whole point of showing those links whether you agree with them or not. Never mind consensus #1, forget about that, find me rankings off any kind that had Pickett #1. I already told you about Walter Football but there are many more that had Willis ranked higher.

All during the draft season we heard how this is a bad QB class, I didn’t buy into it, I still think there will be a couple of these guys to have good careers but obviously the way everyone dropped teams were in agreement that these QB’s weren’t worth drafting high. You are telling me because the Steelers took Pickett there he must be a #1 pick, even know every other QB needy team passed on him till that point? So you feel Edmunds was a #1 pick then after all? Of course not, Steelers over drafted him and likely over drafted Pickett, we can only hope this time it works out in their favor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Teams also consider the kind of quarterback the prospect is. A team with a pocket-passer offensive mentality isn’t going to pick an inaccurate, run-biased QB just because they’re in the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If that draft set the team back, why didn't the team finish the season with a losing record; back to back playoff appearances the same?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Physical traits were only sratching the surface as to why Trevor was a Unicorn Among Unicorns.

Trevor though is besides the point. This thread focuses on Kenny Pickett. I still question his ceiling but the intangibles, accuracy, decision making, clutch level plays in situational downs, instincts and Footbal IQ are not to be debated here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's primarily why Trevor was a unicorn.

Anyways I was shocked pff said he was bad at some of those things. I can't really assess Pickett as I haven't watched him much. Even though I play college, I surprisingly don't really like to watch it. If I do it's only the big games. I'll have to go off the analysis and highlights and wait to see him play to really give my assessment on him.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :eek:

Just seven or so more @SDOT and you will break your own record!! Have to say, I find your attention complex... fascinating... to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ding ding ding

Nothing more

Nothing less

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please point to the post in which I said that size made him special. You can't. It didn't happen, but your desperation for a win keeps pushing you to try to make that into some sort of argument.

I'm not the one claiming that Pickett is as fast as Willis. That was Chris Simms. The point is, if a player can impress the scouts by running, he will run. Willis chose not to do so.

If there are multiple guys with that sort of arm, the arm is not generational. Words mean things and you should learn how to use them properly.

If Pickett was actually average, your point might be relevant. You still don't seem to understand that arm strength is only one of the factors that make up a quarterback. Josh Allen always had that cannon of a right arm, but he wasn't a great quarterback at the start of his career. Joe Montana never had a great arm, yet he was one of the greatest of all time. Joe Burrow doesn't have an arm like Mahomes or Allen, yet he is among the elite quarterbacks in the NFL, ahead of Lawrence, by the way.

What this comes down to is you don't respect intelligence. You don't understand that some guys have a greater capacity to process what they see and make good decisions and do so quickly than others. This isn't just about reading a defense. It is about a feel for the pocket. It is about judging the rush, feeling it, and either retreating, escaping, or taking off as needed. Pickett showed he had that in college. Willis showed he didn't. It is a damn difficult thing to learn. Kordell Stewart, for example, never learned it.

Playing quarterback isn't one thing. It is all of those things and more all mixed together. That total package is where Pickett is better than every other quarterback in this draft. That doesn't mean he will be the best pro. There are too many variables to be sure of that right now. Even Lawrence, with all of his gifts, isn't guaranteed to be anything more than what he has shown so far. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Arguments are like quarterbacks. There are many variables that go into making a good one. Knowledge of the subject is an important one. You just admitted you don't have it. Thank you for that.

It is no surprise you are sitting there waiting for others to tell you what to think. That is the approach of a plagiarist.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh trust me... others fit this category as well. That said, SDOT's is truly one of.. unique qualities. Even so, even those like him have their place on the board.

Personally, at times, whenever I do feel a bit down, reading anything that SDOT states in a negative manner, with no evidence, data or information to support it, is just the right amount of schadenfreude I need!! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I didn't watch him. I don't watch garbage Pitt football. Had he played for Alabama, Georgia, Ohio state, Clemson, etc.. I would've watched him but he played for a subpar school in terms of football.

And on Pickett? NO. But I don't need it. If alot of credible people is saying he's above average at best some random pencil pusher like you who's trying to overhype him isn't going to hold any weight.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Scribe can also help you with your use of the English language

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    When some points to a players talent what is their reasoning for pointing it out? To say a guy is ordinary? Pointing out the talent someone has is ways to differentiate him form others and point to what makes him stand out. What stands out is what is special
    you kept on pointing to his "size" trying to say he possessed talent because of it lol.

And no he won't. Lamar jackson didn't run and everyone knew he was fast. He didn't need a 40 time to validate that. Kyle Murray didn't run. We knew he was fast and a 40 time didn't need to validate it. There were scouts that acknowledged Willis didn't need to run because teams know he has speed. Also please link me to simms saying Pickett is as fast as Willis. Id like to see that. Also originally you didn't quite chris simms saying that. You stated as if you said it. Who's the one plagiarizing again? You should know better penicl pusher. All you "accomplished" in life is teaching and you don't know how to not plagiarize?

And who came up with the standard that if multiple people possess an ability that doesn't make it generational?

Montana played in a different time. Burrow actually was top ten in air yards this yr. While he doesn't have their arm he has a very good arm. Not an NFL average arm. Brady is the only top guy currently that I'd say has an "average" nfl arm. It's multiple then thay but we've seen in this NFL guys who didn't have all the pocket awareness early on dominate because of how the game has changed now and the rules..mahomes said he didn't know what to read defenses until midway year 3. Also I've seen multiple people criticize Pickett om those things you're praising him for. Pff is maybe the most pronounced and respected nfl site and they called him Below average.

I said Pickett was the most pro ready qb in this draft. Best idk. Just cause the steelers took him first doesn't mean that. There's alot of people that think Willis was the best. I've also said several times let's see the play on the field but nothing about him screams special. I see an Above average qb at best which is what alot of pre draft assessments on him said. I don't see star.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't care about using correct English on here. Nobody here is worth me doing so.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see the plagiarist is trying to trash talk now. Pitt has been a terrible program for a very long time, which is what makes what Pickett did there so impressive.

There are plenty of credible people saying he was a fantastic pick, too. You've got JT whathisname saying otherwise, but Kurt Warner said it was a great choice. Before the draft, he said the Panthers should take him No. 6 overall.

You choose ignorance. I choose knowledge. That is just one reason why you fail.