1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says "definitly no" to starting pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They watch him everyday

2. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

We're worse than that, IMO. We're in a period where our owner, some in the media, and some fans THINK we have some great coach, but we actually do NOT! It's time for Mike Dumblin to have a change of scenery, and it's time for the Steelers to have a change of scenery, too. His message is stale, his tactics & strategies are overrated, and his halftime adjustments are just benign. If Dumblin cares about the Pittsburgh Steelers as he claims, he will STEP DOWN and move on.

Every year we keep Dumblin is another year we don't find the next young Chuck Noll to start another dynasty. We need an exhaustive search to find him, too. Search the planet, at the NFL and the college level. It's just a shame to keep giving Dumblin paycheck after paycheck after paycheck when you have folks like Eric Bieniemy, Mike Kafka, Ken Dorsey, Byron Leftwich, etc., all of whom would just LOVE a chance to coach the Pittsburgh Steelers. There is ZERO upside to keeping Mike Dumblin employed...it's not like he's just gonna wake up one day and become some "great" coach. The sooner our organization realizes this, the better off we will be.

#firetomlin

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Yeah I'm a fan of Tomlin, but now I'm in that bellyache of he doesn't try to savage this season.

And I don't blame him for mitch. There wasn't much out there to go with unless you want to give up picks for Jimmy G.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Chubb broke one big run early, but it was the passing game that got the Browns going Thursday night. They did what the Steelers have been failing to do. They forced Pittsburgh's defense to defend the entire field. That gave them more room to run.

That is what the Steelers have to do. Teams simply aren't respecting their passing game. They have to earn that respect. They have the receivers to do it if Johnson holds on to the ball. They don't have the offensive coordinator for it. In the first two games, they didn't have good enough quarterback play, either.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I watched. I see him coming open after the ball is thrown. It was a poor throw by Trubisky, but it's not as if Pickens was wide open before the ball was in the air.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a convenient way to dismiss every good quarterback in the NFL who didn't play college ball in the SEC. Most of them didn't. It just feels like you are making any excuse you can find to dismiss Pickett's production last year.

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

You misunderstood. These guys keep bringing up hof players as if they’re the norm. They aren’t and you’re fully aware of this fact. I’m pretty sure some of them are butt hurt over the statement that the sec is a superior conference. I’m sorry, but it’s the truth. I grew up a fan of an acc team and attended a former acc university. You’re not going to see me ever claim the acc is a better conference because it isn’t.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't see it . Give the link please

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Click on it and it will take you to youtube

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats nice.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with the SEC part, but I think the Qb needs to be changed. Of course I didn't want Trubisky so all in all that's not saying much. LoL.

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    How did your boy Malik do the other day?

13. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Pretty unanimous that Kenny should be in there this week.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Well that settles it. the talking heads think it should happen so we must do it

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    FFS, man. Take this garbage to another board.

Look, arguing one's point of view is fine. Acting like an ignorant ******* while doing so doesn't make said argument any stronger, and detracts from the civility of discourse on the board.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2022
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Dude, I’m calling the people on ESPN talking heads. As has been done for decades.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said or in any way implied that the ACC was better. I'm simply pointing out that dismissing Pickett's production because he did it for an ACC team makes no sense given that most of the top quarterbacks in the NFL did not play in the stronger conferences, specifically the SEC. The entire point is that you can't dismiss quarterbacks just because they played somewhere other than the SEC, but you want to dismiss the great quarterbacks who prove that point from the argument, which is bull****.

Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, and Rodgers are examples. Carr, who is often given as a comp for Pickett, played at Fresno State. Trevor Lawrence, last year's top overall pick, played in the ACC at Clemson.

How many of the NFL's top 15 quarterbacks right now are from the SEC? You've got Burrow and Stafford. Am I forgetting any?

• Like Like x 1
  18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    i truly believe Thor called out the other

19. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Stop
    Everyone knows the SEC has been a business for years except for SEC fans

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Let me fix that for you. Everyone knows college athletics has been a business for years except…Well, except no one

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    SEC is the worst of exploitation of athletes

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    let’s stay on topic instead of going down a whole new off topic rabbit hole

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    You're digging in and launching at just about anyone who's opposing you on this, littering the field with strawmen you've beaten down along the way.

The post you quoted simply said it was pretty unanimous Pickett should get a chance next Sunday. He could've been referencing a compilation of different arguments, on top of his own, to support his view. You choosing to minimize it to analysts on ESPN is just building another strawman to burn down.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    God I hope Pickett is better than Carr. I have always considered Carr over Hyped, and very average. I think Pickett is better, but of course I don't know this.

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Couldn't agree more. I expected this team to go 8-9. Maybe 9-8 with more than their share of luck. Well, they got one lucky win as it is. Otherwise, they'd be 0-3. After watching the first three games they may be a 5–6-win team. Some fans saw a helluva lot more on this roster than I did. They are what they look like. A team that is transitioning from a Hof QB to the great unknown while trying to upgrade key positions, especially their interior lines which should have begun to be addressed with varsity players years ago. I'm not overly impressed with the coaching staff either. I think Tomlin is fine for the most part. However, I think the organization as a whole has to begin going after younger, more forward-thinking minds for their coordinators and position coaches rather than grabbing who is both affordable and available or promoting from within simply because that person has been a loyal soldier.

I'm not diametrically opposed to getting Pickett some playing time late in the year if the wheels fall all the way off which I think is a distinct possibility. But Kenny Pickett is not going to salvage this season. The rest of the team simply does not have enough talent.

• Agree Agree x 1